Should John Roberts be Chief Justice?

Should John Roberts be confirmed as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Should John Roberts be confirmed as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court?

• Yes
    • Don't know
    • No

yes - but only because of his belief in the equitable right of the legislature to make policy and it is the judicial branches responsibility to uphold the legislatures enactments.

What we have lost in the past few years is the basic belief that our lawmakers make the rules that govern us, while the Supreme Court is meant to uphold those 'approved' laws and to be the authority behind the law.

So let us not talk about Roe v. Wade overturning or stuff like that - that is for the lawmakers to decide and the the Supreme Court to enforce.

Bill

So let us not talk about Roe v. Wade overturning or stuff like that - that is for the lawmakers to decide and the the Supreme Court to enforce.

586520694[/snapback]

It was the Court who made it legal in the first place. The Court should overturn itself and if the branch that makes law wants to make it legal, then that's the way it should be. :p

yes - but only because of his belief in the equitable right of the legislature to make policy and it is the judicial branches responsibility to  uphold the legislatures enactments.

What we have lost in the past few years is the basic belief that our lawmakers make the rules that govern us, while the Supreme Court is meant to uphold those 'approved' laws and to be the authority behind the law.

Bill

586520694[/snapback]

And we can't forget the fact that he just wants to be an "umpire" and not pitch or hit :)

It was the Court who made it legal in the first place. The Court should overturn itself and if the branch that makes law wants to make it legal, then that's the way it should be. :p

586520709[/snapback]

Uhmmm - I think that is what I said - above everyone is spouting about how the courts should overturn Roe V. Wade - well - that would be the courts make policy again - the Senators and Reps should get off the fence and do what it is we pay them to do - make policy.

I do not dispute whether or not Roe v. Wade is correct or not - I dispute the fact that some 30 years ago - the Supreme Court deemed what was right or wrong while the people of the United States had very different views on what was right or wrong. Enforcement of current policy is what the Supreme Court is for.

As for Roberts - I listened to him today getting grilled by Senator (Drunkedness) Kennedy and Roberts is very eloquent and well spoken - very intelligent - I like him.

cheers,

Bill

yes - but only because of his belief in the equitable right of the legislature to make policy and it is the judicial branches responsibility to uphold the legislatures enactments.

You get the post of the day award! I agree. His personal views should be irrelevent. He is there to judge the constitutionality of law. If he is qualified and willing, let him serve.

Hmm, well this just makes me think about The Daily Show. Go here and then select the video that says "Judged Roberts" for their recent bit about all this. Good stuff. ;)

...and, for the record, I sincerely hope that Roberts does not succeed because if he does, it could significantly change this country for the worse. Separation of church and state, I say, and if you think that is completely unrelated, you're either ignorant or in denial.

Edited by Fedorpheux

I do not dispute whether or not Roe v. Wade is correct or not - I dispute the fact that some 30 years ago - the Supreme Court deemed what was right or wrong while the people of the United States had very different views on what was right or wrong.  Enforcement of current policy is what the Supreme Court is for.

If it was up you I suppose the "colored" folk would still be in seperate schools and drinking from seperate water fountains. :rolleyes: That's what the conservatives and "Christians" of the times wanted. Who was it that made that law?... oh yeah, the court.

Judges make law, everyone knows that. Legislature makes guidelines. The court upholds the Constitution of the United States. The upmost law of the land. Giving women the right to privacy and autonomy of themselves is part of that. Please go spread the right wing propoganda elsewhere.

No because he keeps dodging questions that would be important to him in this position and using his charm to get past them. That just shows me that he's a sneaky f*ck and doesn't deserve the position. I think Bush only chose him because Bush is lazy and thought "who's that there guy I picked da last time? Oh that's right that there Johhny Robbie...pick him pick him" then Bush goes back to playing with his ball of yarn and legos

Judges make law, everyone knows that. Legislature makes guidelines. The court upholds the Constitution of the United States. The upmost law of the land. Giving women the right to privacy and autonomy of themselves is part of that. Please go spread the right wing propoganda elsewhere.

586526329[/snapback]

Judges should not make law, and thank god that Roberts doesn't think that he should. The best part is how stupid Roberts is making the Senators. They are willing to asking loaded question, and expect black and white answers. Roberts is showing that he is the right person for the position.

And to save time and money, and TV coverage, no Bush did the right thing and changed the nomination to Chief Justice, otherwise there would have been 3 hearings.

You must be one of the 'Progressives' - which only defines arrogance and attitude, not ideals.

No because he keeps dodging questions that would be important to him in this position and using his charm to get past them. That just shows me that he's a sneaky f*ck and doesn't deserve the position. I think Bush only chose him because Bush is lazy and thought "who's that there guy I picked da last time? Oh that's right that there Johhny Robbie...pick him pick him" then Bush goes back to playing with his ball of yarn and legos

586529338[/snapback]

Justice Ginsberg refused as well, should she have been denied?

The way I see it these justices simply need to be judged by how well they, well... can judge. If he has been incositent with the law and interjected his perosnal opinons in his previous rulings, then let's see them. But so far three days in and all tha thas happened is a bunch of publicity ###### have grandstanded in front of the TV cameras.

586526329[/snapback]

In Canada anyway (and probably the US as well), judges only interpret existing laws and apply them to new situations. They do not create law.

New laws can only be created by legislation.

You must be one of the 'Progressives' - which only defines arrogance and attitude, not ideals.

586529464[/snapback]

Because the 'Conservatives' don't have an attitude and aren't arrogant... except for Bush...

Oh yeah...