Inventor fuels car with dead cats

BERLIN, Germany (Reuters) -- A German inventor has angered animal rights activists with his answer to fighting the soaring cost of fuel -- dead cats.

Christian Koch, 55, from the eastern county of Saxony, told Bild newspaper that his organic diesel fuel -- a homemade blend of garbage, run-over cats and other ingredients -- is a proven alternative to normal consumer diesel.

"I drive my normal diesel-powered car with this mixture," Koch said. "I have gone 170,000 km (106,000 miles) without a problem."

The Web site of Koch's firm, "Alphakat GmbH", says his patented "KDV 500" machine can produce what he calls the "bio-diesel" fuel at about 23 euro cents (30 cents) a liter, which is about one-fifth the price at petrol stations now.

Koch said around 20 dead cats added into the mix could help produce enough fuel to fill up a 50-liter (11 gallon) tank.

But the president of the German Society for the Protection of Animals, Wolfgang Apel, said using dead cats for fuel was illegal.

"There's no danger for cats and dogs in Germany because this practice is outlawed in Germany," Apel told Bild on Wednesday in a story entitled "Can you really make fuel out of cats?"

"We're going to keep an eye on this case," Apel said.

Source: CNN

a homemade blend of garbage, run-over cats and other ingredient

The Animal rights activists are dumb, hes making fuel out of already dead cats. Not ones he kills for fuel, if they wanna be mad at someone they should be mad at the owners of those cats that were ran over or mad at those cats themselves for playing on a freeway.

As a cat lover I am appalled :x

But as a human being I can appreciate the scientific merit behind the discovery... here's hoping the inventor's homebrewed-mixture evolves to incorporate the bodies of all types of deceased animals (and not just cats)... (Y)

@ ripgut - 'Dumb' or not, I can see where the activists are coming from. I certainly won't be donating the bodies of my cats when they eventually pass... I'd like to treat their bodys with respect (as I would a human member of my fam).

The Animal rights activists are dumb, hes making fuel out of already dead cats. Not ones he kills for fuel, if they wanna be mad at someone they should be mad at the owners of those cats that were ran over or mad at those cats themselves for playing on a freeway.

586525213[/snapback]

Agreed. But maybe this invention will encourage companies or people to illegaly kill cats in order to gain free supplies.

I certainly won't be donating the bodies of my cats when they eventually pass... I'd like to treat their bodys with respect (as I would a human member of my fam).

Surely your cats have the right to decide that for themselves? It's like being an organ donor - when you die doctors are allowed to take all your insides and use them for research and curing other people.

I don't particularly see a problem using already dead cats. It would be wrong to kill cats specifically for that purpose. And then you'll get people who breed cats just for that purpose and then everyone will go to hell for animal cruelty. But at the moment, the cats probably don't care and it's not doing any harm because they're already dead.

How did he find out that adding dead cats helped?

'I know, if I just put this cat in here it might just work!'

But yes, great discovery, would be helpful if people would use his ideas rather than shun them, especially as people start to worry over an oil crisis.

Let's go and make cat factories to 'feed' our cars!!

--

Now seriously, I guess it's a nice discovery. I hope that by the time we run out of petrol, electric cars are more developed... so we won't have to use deadcats!!

Class ... there's loads of waste of time cats around our neighbourhood, load of potential fuel ! :)

586525331[/snapback]

He's not killing cats to make fuel he's making fuel out of already road killed cats, a bit disturbing, but it works.

Actually, he's not using cats or dogs at all... "possibly the odd toad", but no cats.

Inventor: Dead cat fuel story is dead wrong

Published: September 15, 2005, 10:56 AM PDT

By Reuters

A German inventor said he has developed a method to produce crude oil products from waste that he believes can be an answer to the soaring costs of fuel, but denied a German newspaper story implying he also used dead cats.

Christian Koch, an inventor and patent holder of the KDV 500 technology that he said produces high-quality fuel, said he can transform waste products such as paper, rubbish and plastic materials into fuel.

But Koch, 55, said there was no truth to stories published in the Bild newspaper on Tuesday and Wednesday that suggested he used dead cats as part of the mix for his organic diesel fuel.

"I use paper, plastics, textiles and rubbish," Koch told Reuters.

"It's an alternative fuel that is friendly for the environment. But it's complete nonsense to suggest dead cats. I've never used cats and would never think of that. At most the odd toad may have jumped in."

Bild on Tuesday wrote a headline: "German inventor can turn cats into fuel--for a tank he needs 20 cats." The paper on Wednesday followed up with a story entitled: "Can you really make fuel out of cats?"

A spokesman for Bild told Reuters the story was meant to show that cat remains could "in theory" be used to make fuel with Koch's patented method.

The author of the story said Koch had never told him directly that he had used dead cats as the story implied.

The Web site of Koch's firm, Alphakat, says his patented KDV 500 machine can produce what he calls the "biodiesel" fuel at about 23 euro cents (30 cents) a liter, which is about one-fifth the price at petrol stations now.

"I drive my normal diesel-powered car with this mixture," Koch is quoted saying in Bild, next to a large picture of a kitten. "I have gone 170,000 kilometers (106,000 miles) without a problem."

Source: c|net News.com

Actually this guy is onto something

Rather than cremating the dead (what a waste!), just mush them up and put them into your petrol tank

If a loved one dies, dont be too sad. If it's of any consolation, you've just saved yourself ?50 of fuel

(I kid:pp)

20 cats for 11 gallons, hmm, wonder how much he could get out of a dead person or larger animal. cloning for fuel could be an alternative as well. I like this idea.

I don't particularly see a problem using already dead cats. It would be wrong to kill cats specifically for that purpose. And then you'll get people who breed cats just for that purpose and then everyone will go to hell for animal cruelty. But at the moment, the cats probably don't care and it's not doing any harm because they're already dead.

586525284[/snapback]

Yeah, as-soon as someone finds out they can capitalize on dead-cat fuel, they will start breeding them for the sake of being killed for the fuel.

But then again, we breed cattle/poultry/hogs to kill them. So where exactly do we draw the line on this one?

Yeah, as-soon as someone finds out they can capitalize on dead-cat fuel, they will start breeding them for the sake of being killed for the fuel.

I can imagine this happening... anything for oil.