Trigger-happy Toronto

The summer of the gun may be giving way to the fall of the shooters.

Police launched a massive series of raids across the city early Thursday morning, as Chief Bill Blair responds to criticism he’s not doing enough to fight the problem of gangs and guns in the G.T.A.

Heavily armed officers from Toronto, York, Peel and the O.P.P. fanned out across the city armed with search warrants, taking over 40 male and female suspects into custody at more than 30 different locations in an operation dubbed Project Flicker.

It appears to have targeted one especially violent group called the “Ardwick Blood Crew” allegedly responsible for some of the gun incidents over the past few months that have left 37 people dead.

Many of the raids were concentrated in North York, including the Jane-Finch area where the gang was centred, and the northern part of Etobicoke. But other areas were also involved.

In the words of Deputy Chief Tony Warr, “it’s been another great day for the good guys.”

Souce: Click to read more

Unfortunately, however, the following scene was what many parents whitnessed when walking their children to school :o

A day after police scoured the city in a series of morning raids targeting guns and gangs, another man has become the victim of a bullet, and the scene of the crime has neighbourhood residents upset.

Toronto’s latest murder occurred at about 3am Friday in a parkette adjacent to Queen Victoria Public School on Close Ave. just south of King Street – within sight of where young children would be walking to class in a matter of hours.

It represents the city’s 56th killing of the year, and its 38th at the hands of a gunman – eleven more shooting deaths than all of last year.

Source: Click to read more

This has been all over the news this year... too many guns on the streets and the bodies to back-up those claims :/

Guns don't belong on the streets of Toronto... I am outraged.

They need tougher guns laws, Canada is way too easy on people, you could kill someone and get less than 15yrs, while you can go and do something else not even as bad and get 25 years.

I say anyone caught with a gun, gets minimum 5yrs.

If anyone gets caught using it, gets minimum 25years.

If anyone gets shot, or a police officer, gets life.

Just my 2 cents.

I forgot to mention that, as a child, I went to the very school (Queen Victoria) where the man was shot this morning. I used to live in the apartment building directly-across from the shooting scene.

How are parents expected to explain to their children why police are in the area?... what chalk outlines are?... and if their school is safe?

Being a 20-something myself (22), I am not looking forward to being a parent in the City of Toronto. :/

My apologies, Fred. It wasn't my intention to step on your toes.

Being a 20-something myself (22), I am not looking forward to being a parent in the City of Toronto. :/

My apologies, Fred.  It wasn't my intention to step on your toes.

586535118[/snapback]

a) It was Parkdale (or so I assume since you said you used to live on Jameson).

b) 60 murders a year for a city of 3 million people is relatively little. It would be hard to find a safer city in North America.

c) Don't worry about my toes.

b) 60 murders a year for a city of 3 million people is relatively little. It would be hard to find a safer city in North America.

Fair enough... I guess I painted a gloomier picture than one would expect when looking at the numbers and comparing them to other North American cities... however I expect the situation to escalate further :/

Instead of deterring gangs from engaging in criminal activity, I reckon we'll see another gang (or another group) takeover the role of weapons-distribution and meet the demands of the gun-market. While the gun-violence here in Toronto is a hot-topic as of late, it truly is unsettling to see the statistics increase as each week goes by :/

What would an analyst predict for next year's total (forecasted) gun-related deaths? The year after? In 10 years?

Fair enough... I guess I painted a gloomier picture than one would expect when looking at the numbers and comparing them to other North American cities... however I expect the situation to escalate further :/

Instead of deterring gangs from engaging in criminal activity, I reckon we'll see another gang (or another group) takeover the role of weapons-distribution and meet the demands of the gun-market.  While the gun-violence here in Toronto is a hot-topic as of late, it truly is unsettling to see the statistics increase as each week goes by :/

586535542[/snapback]

Many people would say that the Malvern area of Scarborough has been a lot safer ever since the cops took down two gangs in that area.

They just took down one gang from the North West just yesterday. Maybe more gangs will be targetted.

Many people would say that the Malvern area of Scarborough has been a lot safer ever since the cops took down two gangs in that area.

They just took down one gang from the North West just yesterday.? Maybe more gangs will be targetted.

586535552[/snapback]

Here's hoping the gun-busting efforts will continue(Y)).

a) It was Parkdale (or so I assume since you said you used to live on Jameson).

I have highlighted the building on Jameson I used to live in (as well as the school).

untitled13xd.th.jpg

On another note, did you happen to see the footage of the innocent man who was allegedly beaten by the raiding police? He shared a house with his daughter (a suspected gang-member) and was hand-cuffed by the police and "roughed around" when the police raided the home looking for his daughter and her boyfriend (another suspected gang-member). The elder man also had an eye-patch fitted on his left-eye because he claims an officer punched him://

I was reading it earlier online... hopefully I can find the source.

EDIT - Source

• 2 months later...

I hate to resurrect this thread, but I must. Recently, I've noticed the increase in gun-violence in Toronto. At one time I heard gunshots in my area (Jane and Finch). It was on a monthly basis. After cops patrolled the area for a few days things were starting to settle down. After the cops left, it was back to the usual gun-violence. You guys should see the new controversial DVD, "The Real Toronto". It shows different areas in Toronto where gun-crime is high. It even shows footage of the area that I live in. Places where I used to play as a kid with my brothers is now taken over my gang members. I'm scared to walk there at night, but not at daytime. Here's a news report on the amateur documentary, "The Real Toronto".

I agree that there is a lot more violence here in Toronto. I read in the star though that Toronto has the least amount of violence in any city with a population over 500 000 (North America). When I find the article ill post it here.

Helix

The area that I live in is one of the worst areas in Toronto. Jane and Finch a.k.a JnF, this might ring a bell to some people.

The area that I live in is one of the worst areas in Toronto. Jane and Finch a.k.a JnF, this might ring a bell to some people.

586853425[/snapback]

Worst place to live in Toronto, and possibly, in all of Canada.