Bible Textbook for Public Schools Planned

I said athiest because in order for you not to worship a GOD ... you gotta believe there is a GOD.

586579765[/snapback]

So in order to not worship Santa Claus, do I "gotta" believe there is a Santa Claus?

And while they're wasting state funds on religious paraphernalia that should be spent on teacher salaries, can they at least provide the Principia Discordia, too? I think my religion is just as important as any other, and I'd hate to leave some poor kid ignorant of the evils of eating hot-dog buns on days other than Friday.

Edited by Palin

I didn't say anything about worshiping.

I am very aware of what an atheist claims to be - which is why I said what I did. If you would stop and resist your baseless attempt to insult me. You would see that it is impossible to renounce something that doesn?t exist.

Furthermore, I could careless how many times you have unsuccessfully debated this topic. I will gladly entertain conversing over this topic at any time.&nbsp:rofl:l:

586580057[/snapback]

Lol, you are picking on the wrong guy my friend. You just don't know me.

In any case I would never dream of insulting you, as you appear to be perfectly capable of doing that all by yourself.

GJ

So in order to not worship Santa Claus, do I "gotta" believe there is a Santa Claus?

And while they're wasting state funds on religious paraphernalia that should be spent on teacher salaries, can they at least provide the Principia Discordia, too? I think my religion is just as important as any other, and I'd hate to leave some poor kid ignorant of the evils of eating hot-dog buns on days other than Friday.

586580354[/snapback]

I couldnt agree more about the teacher's saleries - give them all a raise.

As far as your "religion" - it is definately interesting to read about, to say the least.

Feck - I think he may have been joking. I think he just picked the most random most nut job religious cult he could find - and made a fair point about why shouldn't this be taught in schools too? What is so unique or special about the Christian religion?

I hope no one here reads stuff like this and goes off and joins some mad cult and gives all of their life savings to them.

That wouldn't be a good outcome I think.

GJ

I am a Christian and have been an advocate for some time to bring GOD back into our public schools.

that's all well and good, but neither you nor your being christian is enough to warrant a public policy like this one. these are policies that have been debated in social discourse and arrived at through some agreement and compromise.

How can kids learn what the US Constitution and Bill of Rights were based on. Without GOD how can kids learn about American Cultures? America is based on Christian beliefs. America was founded by Christians who feared God and lived by Christian ethics.

wrong:

-you say that god is necessary for learning about american culture. clearly, this is false. people can learn about american culture without reference to a god.

-there is a difference between learning about god and worshipping god.

-america was NOT based on christian beliefs. the founders may have been deists, but they were not all christian deists. there is a difference.

-moreover, the founding fathers did NOT "fear god and live by christian ethics" and they most certainly did not try to impose religion on anyone.

-look at the documents you talked about; in particular, the us government does NOT have laws establishing religions.

The world without religion is nothing - throughout history there has been a religion that people practiced. In all religions there is a GOD  - most religions and their denominations have two basic principles which:

1) GOD

2) Heaven, hell, spirit world, Life after death, afterlife, etc, etc

most religions? does that make them right? does that mean everyone needs to follow them? certainly not.

No matter if your an athiest, Christian, Jewish, Catholic, Islamic - you believe in GOD. For that simple fact alone - Public schools should teach about GOD.  [- - I said athiest because in order for you not to worship a GOD ... you gotta believe there is a GOD. :yes: ] All religions have their point of view of how or why we are here on the earth today. Which religion is right is really irrelivant - kids need to know about GOD.

that's wrong. an atheist by definition does NOT believe in god. your logic is flawed. you can deny a god without affirming it.

moreover, i have a feeling some people would be peeved if buddhism were taught and all other religions were excluded. that suggests to me that religion itself (or deism/non-deism in general) is not the issue, but SPECIFIC religions.

If these books are introduced to a majority of schools i feel sorry for our children, reason being is they are gonna be reading stuff that holds no water what so ever, even if it is books based on teaching moral values, those too can be taught without any religion, it's called the practice of common sense towards others.

I don't see why anyone would be surprised by this, who could reasonably expect a textbook like that to be allowed into a public school.

If you want a school with books like that, send your kid to privates school, hell the kid will probably end up with a better education to boot.

i am not surprised that they are doing this. once i get that book, it will be in the trash 10 seconds later. i dobt that my school will do this though cause we have a class called bible. so this gives students a choice if they want to learn about it or not. i dont know if any other high schools have this class but i think that they should so those that want to learn about it should just sign up for the class.

i am not surprised that they are doing this.  once i get that book, it will be in the trash 10 seconds later.  i dobt that my school will do this though cause we have a class called bible.  so this gives students a choice if they want to learn about it or not.  i dont know if any other high schools have this class but i think that they should so those that want to learn about it should just sign up for the class.

586587728[/snapback]

That's a good idea. Make it a choice.

• 2 weeks later...
that's all well and good, but neither you nor your being christian is enough to warrant a public policy like this one.  these are policies that have been debated in social discourse and arrived at through some agreement and compromise.

wrong:

-you say that god is necessary for learning about american culture.  clearly, this is false.  people can learn about american culture without reference to a god.

-there is a difference between learning about god and worshipping god.

-america was NOT based on christian beliefs.  the founders may have been deists, but they were not all christian deists.  there is a difference.

-moreover, the founding fathers did NOT "fear god and live by christian ethics" and they most certainly did not try to impose religion on anyone.

-look at the documents you talked about; in particular, the us government does NOT have laws establishing religions.

most religions?  does that make them right?  does that mean everyone needs to follow them?  certainly not.

that's wrong.  an atheist by definition does NOT believe in god.  your logic is flawed.  you can deny a god without affirming it.

moreover, i have a feeling some people would be peeved if buddhism were taught and all other religions were excluded.  that suggests to me that religion itself (or deism/non-deism in general) is not the issue, but SPECIFIC religions.

586581510[/snapback]

Ok - I got a little out of bounderies when I said that God is necessary for learning about american culture. Obviously people can learn about US history without God, however, I feel to learn about most of US history God should be added to the equasion - simply because a lot of historical moments were based on their beliefs.

- John Adams:

? The general principles upon which the Fathers achieved independence were the general principals of Christianity? I will avow that I believed and now believe that those general principles of Christianity are as eternal and immutable as the existence and attributes of God.?

? ?[July 4th] ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty.?

?John Adams in a letter written to Abigail on the day the Declaration was approved by Congress

Thomas Jefferson:

? The doctrines of Jesus are simple, and tend to all the happiness of man.?

?Of all the systems of morality, ancient or modern which have come under my observation, none appears to me so pure as that of Jesus.?

"I am a real Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus." [source: Merrill . D. Peterson, ed., Jefferson Writings, (New York: Literary Classics of the United States, Inc., 1984), Vol. IV, p. 289. From Jefferson?s Notes on the State of Virginia, Query XVIII, 1781.]

* At the Constitutional Convention of 1787, James Madison proposed the plan to divide the central government into three branches. He discovered this model of government from the Perfect Governor, as he read Isaiah 33:22;

?For the LORD is our judge,

the LORD is our lawgiver,

the LORD is our king;

He will save us.?

Ok - I got a little out of bounderies when I said that God is necessary for learning about american culture. Obviously people can learn about US history without God, however, I feel to learn about most of US history God should be added to the equasion - simply because a lot of historical moments were based on their beliefs.

586632948[/snapback]

1. not all of the founding fathers were christians. by that alone, it does not make sense to necessarily teach a CHRISTIAN perspective.

2. religion can be taught INSOFAR AS it relates to the material, e.g. history, philosophy, etc.

3. we must remember what the founding fathers stood for above all and proclaimed in the constitution: tolerance. we cannot impose god (as faith, not as history, etc.) on people without being guilty.

fine happy sam, you can teach the bible book in classes as long as its optional. if i dont want to learn about christianity, then i dont have to. just because the conservative christian radical right wants every american child to be this perfect flawless chistian child, its not going to happen. people have the right to believe in waht they believe and that right is endangered if christian religion is enforced as a requirement in public schools.

- John Adams:

? The general principles upon which the Fathers achieved independence were the general principals of Christianity? I will avow that I believed and now believe that those general principles of Christianity are as eternal and immutable as the existence and attributes of God.?

? ?[July 4th] ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty.?

?John Adams in a letter written to Abigail on the day the Declaration was approved by Congress

Thomas Jefferson:

? The doctrines of Jesus are simple, and tend to all the happiness of man.?

?Of all the systems of morality, ancient or modern which have come under my observation, none appears to me so pure as that of Jesus.?

"I am a real Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus." [source: Merrill . D. Peterson, ed., Jefferson Writings, (New York: Literary Classics of the United States, Inc., 1984), Vol. IV, p. 289. From Jefferson?s Notes on the State of Virginia, Query XVIII, 1781.]

* At the Constitutional Convention of 1787, James Madison proposed the plan to divide the central government into three branches. He discovered this model of government from the Perfect Governor, as he read Isaiah 33:22;

?For the LORD is our judge,

the LORD is our lawgiver,

the LORD is our king;

He will save us.?

586632948[/snapback]

"Experience witnesseth that ecclesiastical establishments, instead of maintaining the purity and efficacy of religion, have had a contrary operation. During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What has been its fruits? More or less, in all places, pride and indolence in the clergy; ignorance and servility in the laity; in both, superstition, bigotry and persecution."

- James Madison, "A Memorial and Remonstrance", 1785

"As I understand the Christian religion, it was, and is, a revelation. But how has it happened that millions of fables, tales, legends, have been blended with both Jewish and Christian revelation that have made them the most bloody religion that ever existed?"

- John Adams, letter to F.A. Van der Kamp, Dec. 27, 1816

"In every country and every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot ... they have perverted the purest religion ever preached to man into mystery and jargon, unintelligible to all mankind, and therefore the safer engine for their purpose."

- Thomas Jefferson, to Horatio Spafford, March 17, 1814

"I cannot conceive otherwise than that He, the Infinite Father, expects or requires no worship or praise from us, but that He is even infinitely above it."

- Benjamin Franklin from "Articles of Belief and Acts of Religion", Nov. 20, 1728