Affirmative Action or Positive Discrimination

Good or Bad  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Good or Bad

• Affirmitive Action is a good Policy
    • Affirmitive Action is it just reverse Discrimination

I know this a relatively a controversial topic. But I want to know what everyones perspective is on this topic.

Is affirmitive Action a good policy or is it simply reverse discrimination, explain?

Your poll seems to be a little skewed, as it only allows me to choose one item... ;)

But, I think that I'm torn on this issue. If it were not for AA, I don't think blacks and other minorities would have gotten as far in the workforce as they have today; however, when it comes to the point where companies are hiring minorities over whites (obviously, the majority) simply to fill some sort of quota, regardless of qualifications, then it becomes reverse discrimination. With some exceptions, I think that most companies today hire people based upon qualifications rather than physical appearance (read: skin color) out of fear of lawsuit-happy people, so I think AA is now a dated issue and can do more harm than good.

Your poll seems to be a little skewed, as it only allows me to choose one item... ;)

But, I think that I'm torn on this issue. If it were not for AA, I don't think blacks and other minorities would have gotten as far in the workforce as they have today; however, when it comes to the point where companies are hiring minorities over whites (obviously, the majority) simply to fill some sort of quota, regardless of qualifications, then it becomes reverse discrimination. With some exceptions, I think that most companies today hire people based upon qualifications rather than physical appearance (read: skin color) out of fear of lawsuit-happy people, so I think AA is now a dated issue and can do more harm than good.

586567333[/snapback]

Sorry dont know what happened to the poll. You dont think blacks and other minorities would have gooten so far in the workplace? How about having the proper credentials and actually working to get there NOT just given to them. If it didn't matter then why is it on an application for hire that you have to choose a race or ethnic background? You also forgot College admissions filling there quota with the "proper" proportion of ethnic diversity to be eligible for Federal Grants.

it has some merits if it works to correct longstanding socioeconomic gaps, but admitting people because of some arbitrary quality is counterproductive for all parties. in some cases, it might be seen as a weakness (the "oh, you only got in because of affirmative action" mentality).

people should be given a leg up, but then be required to prove their worth.

I am not a huge fan of AA. Conceptually it would seem to be a good idea but I'm not sure that it translates into practiciality.

I would rather a police force actively target recruitment from minorities at the high school career day level then have AA policies in place. The idea would be to make private and public organizations representative of the people in the city.

This may mean the police forces would need to spend money on advertising or other recruitment initiatives.

Sorry dont know what happened to the poll. You dont think blacks and other minorities would have gooten so far in the workplace? How about having the proper credentials and actually working to get there NOT just given to them. If it didn't matter then why is it on an application for hire that you have to choose a race or ethnic background? You also forgot College admissions filling there quota with the "proper" proportion of ethnic diversity to be eligible for Federal Grants.

586567453[/snapback]

I meant that AA was good when it was first developed; back in that time, no one wanted to hire a black person, so AA was like a kick in the rear. Now, it's completely useless and definitely harmful.

Reverse discrimination.

Not going to to into the reverse-racism part... but If blacks are hired over better qualified people for the job/school, all it does is give them the hope that they can do the job when in reality they can't. All it does is hurt the people who are supposed to be "helped" by AA.