Criminal Australia!

The 27-year-old is opposed to piracy, and once watched a pirated movie for only three minutes before the guilt overtook her and she switched it off.

What a load of horse*hit, people who make utterances like this are talking so much piffle it actually makes me want to go to Australia and bitch slap her!

Ipods?! :/ expensive! $500 for one around here.

My parents have a Creative USB drive shaped media player which they listen to while exercising. They have CD's and put the songs on the player through the comptuer. No one here cared. I even think that dad took it to work which where police frequents (dad's an ambulance paramedic) and he listens to them in front of them and they don't care.

I have a copy of my parents music collection on my computer. No one cared about that too.

But we do care about pirated movies. Infact I've seen one van parked in town selling latest movies DVD's for 2 dollars. I had the urge to report it to the police (they care about copied movies but not music). But they got caught couple of weeks later.

The common method of "ripping" tunes on to an iPod from the user's own CD collection is illegal -- as a breach of copyright laws.

586567913[/snapback]

While I despise piracy, that law sounds just plain unreasonable. Does it mean we have to pay twice for same track if we already own a CD and want to listen to it on portable music player?

I rip most of my CDs so that I listen to them on my iPod and I rip most of my DVDs so that I watch them on my iPaq. I don't think I should feel guilty doing those kind of things with records/movies I legally purchased. :|

Government is talking of introducing fair use laws in the near future...one of their few policies I agree with ;)

The current copyright law is outdated (1968!!!!!). Not only is it illegal to copy a CD you bought onto an iPod, but most people dont even know. And all of this without any legal alternatives. Fair use laws are the answer imo, and they should be here some day.

if you were selling it won't you be in possession of it thus making it illegal. Though it make not be a law stating that selling these stuff is illegal (i'm not sure) but i think it is implied just like how 'freedome of speech' is implied in our consitution. Most of our "rights" and "laws" are implied however most people don't realise that.

586568223[/snapback]

sorry mate... possession of the drug, not the apparatus

yeah Australia must be the only country around that doesnt have "fair use" of music

:angry:

the funny thing is that Australia because of its isolation has some of the highest levels of piracy around

Consider this, in the US the first episode of Lost Series 2 aired this week, Australians wont see this on their TV's till next Feb or so (5 months later) by that time Lost season 2 will be approx 12 - 15 episodes through.

It looks like Australia will continue to cop all the nasties from the free trade agreement with the US but not get any of the associated rights the others have  :no:

586567983[/snapback]

we can always download a pirated copy :p

You should see some of the other laws we have over here, absolutely nutso.

But yeah, I got annoyed at the fact that there is no iTunes store for Australia.

586568008[/snapback]

Just curious, what laws would that be fellow australian?

if you were selling it won't you be in possession of it thus making it illegal. Though it make not be a law stating that selling these stuff is illegal (i'm not sure) but i think it is implied just like how 'freedome of speech' is implied in our consitution. Most of our "rights" and "laws" are implied however most people don't realise that.

586568223[/snapback]

If there drugs are in you, your not in possesion

Once heard from someone in the music retail biz (worked for sonyBMG or the like) that they include a artists levy in all blank media especially for music being copied. Basically they still get some sort of royalties.

Its the same ol' story with blank cassette tapes. Ppl were always making mixes for the car, copying off radio etc but i dont ever recall anyone being sued for piracy!!!

(OT:I just found out that the 2 automatic airsoft guns i have are illegal LOL I went to sell them on a ebay type site here in NZ :( - Ooppss) just another illegal thing for us to worry about!!

As for no iTunes in australia.. well the music industry is the ones to blame here as they have not been able to come to an agreement with apple like the record companies in other countries have done.

well no matter how you look at it, we dominate!

586568286[/snapback]

I know this is off topic but...

Asians account for 8% of the population but that includes people from india, sri lanka, indonesia, vietnam, china, japan and so on. so dont consider asians just chinese or viets. the indians and other people from the indian subcontinent add to those asian numbers.

as for it appearing that there are more asians then that it depends on where you live. certain areas of melbourne for example have very few asians and some areas have heaps.. especially springvale and footscray. My region has very few asians at all. Melbourne and Sydney attract many asian imigrants but other capital cities do not.

Not only that but both those cities attract allot of asian students who study on our shores. many of these students live in or close to the city and while walking aorund the city you will see many more asians then are actually citizens of this country.

and really we all dominate this country.. not one or the other :p

An iTMS for Australia is rumored to be available as of October 3rd. As for putting CD's on your iPod being illegal, that's bull**** - if you buy the CD, you can listen to it however you like. Next we're going to be told we can't play our CD's too loud in case the neighbours hear it :rolleyes:

its out :p

i've seen it on my LCD (hdtv quality :p)

586567996[/snapback]

yeh

a lot of good shows iin america arent shon in aus ....so u noe :ninja:

8% of Australia are asians! Don't think any of us would pay for what we could get for free :p

586568012[/snapback]

rofl

I was looking at one of your ISP's in Australia, I think it was BigPond and man what a crap company,

after you download 10GB it slows down to 64 kbps :wacko: I hope you aussies have better ISP's then that, b/c I'd go mental there with that restriction.. lol

I was looking at one of your ISP's in Australia, I think it was BigPond and man what a crap company,

after you download 10GB it slows down to 64 kbps :wacko:  I hope you aussies have better ISP's then that, b/c I'd go mental there with that restriction.. lol

586597916[/snapback]

Yeah BigPond part of Telstra one of the evilest companies in Australia!! soo soo dodgy. got to love companies that the goverment own the majority of. Anywho most Australian ISP's do slow down the speed after a certain amount of time.. mine for example slows down to 64k after ive downloaded 20gig. But that dosnt stop us from downloading things!!!

after you download 10GB it slows down to 64 kbps :wacko:  I hope you aussies have better ISP's then that, b/c I'd go mental there with that restriction.. lol

586597916[/snapback]

Yep, Big Pond... I'm with them and it is very bad. I pay AU$60 a month for 256kbps while some people in England pay the same amount for 10mbps. But it doesn't exactly shape down to 64, they state it 'may' and I have passed 10GB most of the time and only have encountered the shaping once.

I really should change ISPs.

Yep, Big Pond... I'm with them and it is very bad. I pay AU$60 a month for 256kbps while some people in England pay the same amount for 10mbps. But it doesn't exactly shape down to 64, they state it 'may' and I have passed 10GB most of the time and only have encountered the shaping once.

I really should change ISPs.

586613049[/snapback]

wtf! I pay 65 for my Optus Cable 10mbit. My connection slows to 64 after 12 gigs. Australia is just technologically behind.

There is no point in getting 256kbps adsl considering the fact that i get around 1.6mbps on US servers so I can only imagine how slow 256kbps gets.

i used to be with bigpond :( $70 a month for 256k, bad times, bad times lol.

the one i'm with now isn't as bad but there is nothing better in australia maybe one or two that i havn't heard of. i'm getting 1.5mbs and after i download 20gig it goes down to 64kbps :cry:

Australia is just technologically behind.

QFT

im with bigpond too, slows down to 64k after 10 gigs, (cable) it sucks, technology is slooww here.. hurry up Aus :p