Rita Traffic Nightmares

Here are some things that I have heard from people on the radio and in the news about what a horrific expirences they have had in relation to people having to evacuate before the storm hits.

17 hours from Houston to Lufkin

8-12 hours from Houston to Austin

20 hours from League City to North Houston

14 hours from League City to Giddings

Of course these reports that I have heard from friends are depedant on when they left the area where they live.

People were saying that their cars were parked and the engine was off because traffic was not moving for 30min - hour.

They SHOULD HAVE reversed all south bound traffic for 45, 290, I10 AND 59 on Wednesday when somewhere between 1-1.5 million people were told to evacuate by the mayor. This morning they told people that if they haven't left already than its too late.

They still haven't reversed traffic on 59.

Myself I left 11:00 PM Wed night from SE Houston and spent 9 hours to go 40 miles trying to get to Lifkin (120 miles from Houston) before I decided to turn back and goto a friends house in NW Houston.

Here is a good site for news on the storm.

http://www.khou.com/

I sure hope to hell that people on 59 have gotten to saftey somewhere because when I was traveling on that road yesturday traffic was moving 2-4 mph. We are going to be looking at a major catastrophe. It is going to be very terrible if all these people are trapped in their cars on 59 when there is 80-100 mph winds hitting them for 6-12 hours.

The hurricane wasn't very destructive in this area. I think it could have been alot worse. I would have been fine if I stayed at home since my house isn't in the flood plane for catagory 3, although I am glad to be where I am at currently. The storm is still moving north so the amount of rain it will dump at its current rate will not be very much. The national weather service is saying it could stall on it's way north.

[...] We are going to be looking at a major catastrophe. It is going to be very terrible if all these people are trapped in their cars on 59 when there is 80-100 mph winds hitting them for 6-12 hours.

586569589[/snapback]

Why? Ok they can't go for a wee or go and buy food, but 100mph winds aren't going to do anything but rock a car are they?

Why? Ok they can't go for a wee or go and buy food, but 100mph winds aren't going to do anything but rock a car are they?

586572841[/snapback]

"go for a wee.." bahaha, I'm sorry that's hilarious.

flooding / flying debris could cause major problems. I would not want to be stuck in my car without gas waiting for the storm to end. I was more worried back when the hurricane was a strong catagory 4 with 150 mph winds. Now it has died down alot it probably be so bad for those people who are still stranded.