Puppy swallows 13-inch knife

PLANTATION, Florida (AP) -- The veterinarian thought the X-ray was a joke.

Jon-Paul Carew has seen strange items get into the stomachs of dogs before, things like kebab skewers and small utensils. But a 13-inch serrated knife in a 6-month-old puppy?

That was a new one.

"I was just flabbergasted," said Carew, of Imperial Point Animal Hospital in Fort Lauderdale.

The knife was removed this week from Elsie, a Saint Bernard puppy. The dog's owner, Jane Scarola, wrapped it in a towel and put it in a cabinet atop the refrigerator.

"I'm going to frame it and give it to Dr. Carew," Scarola said. "He should hang it. Everybody should know what puppies are capable of putting down their throats."

She thinks one of her six other dogs -- four Saint Bernards, a German shepherd and a Labrador -- somehow got the knife off a counter and it eventually made its way to Elsie.

"She wants to eat everything and anything," Scarola said.

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

story.dog.ap.jpg

Veterinarian John-Paul Carew successfully removed the knife from 6-month-old "Elsie."

story.dog.xray.jpg

The blade was lodged between the dog's esophagus and stomach for four days.

story.knife.ap.jpg

The 13-inch serrated knife was removed last week during a two-hour surgery.

Source: CNN

How the hell did that not cut her insides up? :blink:

586582061[/snapback]

i agree i mean the simple act of swallowing should have applied enough pressure along the esphogaus to cause some kinda laceration. what a lucky dog.

i agree i mean the simple act of swallowing should have applied enough pressure along the esphogaus to cause some kinda laceration.  what a lucky dog.

586582485[/snapback]

Yeah, um....this is Nerd Free News....