Could Office 12 be "Office Mondo"

Just call it Office 12.  Sounds good.  Microsoft Office Vista is not too bad either.

dL

586590514[/snapback]

Office Vista

If Windows is not coming with 4 comercial versions (2 more unique) I say Office Vista be perfect... The confusion (not sure if the reports about the naming and number of versions still hold true).

I kind of wish we could just agree on a naming strategy. Windows Mobile went from:

Windows CE 1.x, 2.x

P/PC

PocketPC

PocketPC 2002

Windows Mobile 2003

Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition

Windows Mobile 5.0

Visual Studio went from:

Visual Studio 6.0

Visual Studio .NET

Visual Studio .NET 2003

Visual Studio 2005

I mean, seriously... The geek in me actually thinks it would be cool if we'd just called Vista, Windows 6.0 - and Visual Studio 8 (or is it 9? I think 2003 was 7.1)

Aaaaanyway.....

Office Vista

If Windows is not coming with 4 comercial versions (2 more unique) I say Office Vista be perfect... The confusion? (not sure if the reports about the naming and number of versions still hold true).

586593230[/snapback]

I sure hope not.

Do you know how many people thought Office XP would only run on Windows XP?

Do you know how many people answer the question, "Are you running Windows XP?" with "Yes, XP, that sounds right." - Only because they run Office XP on Windows 2000?

No no... I sure hope those marketing gurus have learned their lesson about that.

LOL

I care more about the features, rather than the name.

586590526[/snapback]

Me too! ITS THE FEATURE THAT IS IMPORTANT. Even if this is the final name, i'll just address it as Office 12. better that the so-called-mondo...

Hopefully this version does not eat up too much of computer resources like memory//

Vista = Sight

Mondo = World

See the world with Microsoft!  Enjoy Vista and Mondo and be productive!

586592242[/snapback]

:no: who cares about those codenames and final RTM name... its the features and user interface that is important... :yes:

Mondo is to Office what vista is to windows, Gay :p

586594396[/snapback]

That doesn't make sense, what could be gay about a name such as Vista or Mondo? Both have deep meanings, if people would just take the time to update their vocabulary we wouldn't make stupid comments like these. So I guess being intellectual would mean you are gay also.

Vista means Scenic View, whats gay about that? Would you preferred if they had named it Windows Grotesque?

Mondo, it simply means enormous, nothing gay there either.

Even Paul Thurrott thought it was going to be named Office 2001.

586592313[/snapback]

That's kinda retarded since Office 2001 was already the name of a Microsoft Office suite on Mac...

That doesn't make sense, what could be gay about a name such as Vista or Mondo? Both have deep meanings, if people would just take the time to update their vocabulary we wouldn't make stupid comments like these. So I guess being intellectual would mean you are gay also.

Vista means Scenic View, whats gay about that? Would you preferred if they had named it Windows Grotesque?

586594815[/snapback]

Not many people will pick up a foreign dictionary to search what it really means. It's about marketing and this name doesn't really sounds that good.

That's kinda retarded since Office 2001 was already the name of a Microsoft Office suite on Mac...

Thats PaulT for you, but actually, this was from 2000 a little bit before Office 2001 for Mac was released and MacBU didn't finalize the name. But it would have been stupid anyway.

Not many people will pick up a foreign dictionary to search what it really means. It's about marketing and this name doesn't really sounds that good.

586594830[/snapback]

In the case of Mondo, we learnt from Vista, so if its speculation, it wouldn't kill you just to do a Google search, especially if you are that disturbed by Microsoft product names.

Okay, my take on this:

Office 12 has a codename, it's Office Mondo 12, but that's just the code name, it might be Office 2006

586598345[/snapback]

The Codename Is Office 12 as far as I can see.

586594815[/snapback]

would mean you are gay also.

No I am not Homosexual

Meaning or not, it's not somthing I would like as the name of my operating system, basically because, it's not somthing I am not prepared to use on a daily basis.

Also, this name has already been used by another company, previous to Microsoft, poor research.

Office Mondo. I'm thinking, WTF? Enormous? Why would you name microsoft office with somthing that means that? Pointless realy.

586594815[/snapback]

Windows Grotesque ... :laugh:

I like the Vista word, because it just sounds and means right. But Mondo ? I mean, litterally it would be called Office Enourmous !

It just doesn't sound right ...

Windows Grotesque ... :laugh:

I like the Vista word, because it just sounds and means right. But Mondo ? I mean, litterally it would be called Office Enourmous !

It just doesn't sound right ...

586601352[/snapback]

It also means "World", which means Office 12 gives you control in a world of information. :)

That's a bit drastic...

But you're right it is a really bad name! And wasn't there a level in Super Mario World called "Mondo"?

586590520[/snapback]

1. The name is too horrible to be a final name
  2. Mondo was one of the eight "Special" levels in Super Mario World. I cant remember which one it was though.

Vista = Sight

Mondo = World

See the world with Microsoft!  Enjoy Vista and Mondo and be productive!

586592242[/snapback]

For that we have Google Earth :D

oh my gosh, mondo? are you kidding?  :wacko: i hope it's just another beta name.

Office 12 alone is even better.  MS should stick to the tradition:

Microsoft Office 2006

586601513[/snapback]

The codename for Office 12 is "Office 12".

Also, this name has already been used by another company, previous to Microsoft, poor research.

"Windows Vista" has not been used by another company. "Vista" is not the name of any extant operating system.

----

As for "mondo", it means society in all of the languages I've heard it used in. I've never heard it being used in the context of meaning "enormous" or anything similar. In Esperanto, Italian, Spanish, Ido, etc. it means "world", "kingdom", or "society." When looked at in this perspective, "Office Mondo" makes sense because it is essentially targeted at the "Office Society." It also makes sense in the way it was pointed out earlier in combination with Windows Vista (Scenic View): "See the world with Microsoft!"

I believe Office 12 was not a name at all. Office 12 is nothing more than a version number. As far as I can tell, "Office Mondo" is just a code-name. I can't imagine Microsoft using a non-English term as part of their product name because Microsoft itself is mostly an English company and its largest consumer base is English. I think it is fairly likely that "Office Mondo" will be termed with an official year-form name like we are familiar with.

"Windows Vista" has not been used by another company. "Vista" is not the name of any extant operating system.

----

As for "mondo", it means society in all of the languages I've heard it used in. I've never heard it being used in the context of meaning "enormous" or anything similar. In Esperanto, Italian, Spanish, Ido, etc. it means "world", "kingdom", or "society." When looked at in this perspective, "Office Mondo" makes sense because it is essentially targeted at the "Office Society." It also makes sense in the way it was pointed out earlier in combination with Windows Vista (Scenic View): "See the world with Microsoft!"

I believe Office 12 was not a name at all. Office 12 is nothing more than a version number. As far as I can tell, "Office Mondo" is just a code-name. I can't imagine Microsoft using a non-English term as part of their product name because Microsoft itself is mostly an English company and its largest consumer base is English. I think it is fairly likely that "Office Mondo" will be termed with an official year-form name like we are familiar with.

586604559[/snapback]

I think you just disked every non-English speaking Windows user. Its also a bit contrary, the next version of their most popular product Windows is using a non-English name "Vista" which means View. Whats so different about another non-English name "Mondo" which means world? The name does not necessarily affect a products value, it is not a feature or functionality, just a name with a deep meaning to reflect what the product has to offer. Again, Microsoft does not code name a product, that already has a code name.

I think you just disked every non-English speaking Windows user. Its also a bit contrary, the next version of their most popular product Windows is using a non-English name "Vista" which means View. Whats so different about another non-English name "Mondo" which means world? The name does not necessarily affect a products value, it is not a feature or functionality, just a name with a deep meaning to reflect what the product has to offer. Again, Microsoft does not code name a product, that already has a code name.

Vista is a known word in the English language and you can find it in every good English dictionary.

And how, exactly, did I "disk" every non-English speaking Windows user? Because I said that a mostly-English company can be expected to use an English name?

Vista is a known word in the English language and you can find it in every good English dictionary.

And how, exactly, did I "disk" every non-English speaking Windows user? Because I said that a mostly-English company can be expected to use an English name?

586606422[/snapback]

The names origin does not have anything to do with the quality of the product. That will be determined when it goes into technical testing and is in the hands of the general public. If you take into consideration an acronym such as XP or NT which does not not necessarily have a specific meaning to the masses but does have a deep meaning to the company, "experiences" and "new technology", you then begin to realize the reasoning behind the name.

It could be the same in the case of Mondo, which you defined as meaning "World", which could be signifying a deeper meaning with what the Office 12 product suite is actually aiming at. Either all 12 Office applications "I mean all 12 of the modules", is really the users world of information, whether its creating it or accessing it especially when you take into account products in the Office system such as Exchange Server, SharePoint Server, Commerce Server, Office LiveMeeting Server. You are talking about mission critical applications that store mission critical information. Obviously to any company that would make it a world of information from desktop to server applications.