Photo

Could Office 12 be "Office Mondo"

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#31 The J Man

The J Man

J2

Posted 29 September 2005 - 09:16

Office 12, Office 2007, Office 2006, Office Vista is just fine.... why that awful name..

#32 Sammyinnit

Sammyinnit

Neowinian

• Phone: HTC EVO 3D/Google-Asus Nexus 7 2nd Gen Tablet

Posted 29 September 2005 - 13:46

Mondo is to Office what vista is to windows, Gay :p

#33 OP Mr. Dee

Mr. Dee

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows 7 Professional, Windows XP Professional

Posted 29 September 2005 - 15:57

Mondo is to Office what vista is to windows, Gay :p

View Post

That doesn't make sense, what could be gay about a name such as Vista or Mondo? Both have deep meanings, if people would just take the time to update their vocabulary we wouldn't make stupid comments like these. So I guess being intellectual would mean you are gay also.

Vista means Scenic View, whats gay about that? Would you preferred if they had named it Windows Grotesque?

Mondo, it simply means enormous, nothing gay there either.

#34 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 29 September 2005 - 16:00

Even Paul Thurrott thought it was going to be named Office 2001.

View Post

That's kinda retarded since Office 2001 was already the name of a Microsoft Office suite on Mac...

That doesn't make sense, what could be gay about a name such as Vista or Mondo? Both have deep meanings, if people would just take the time to update their vocabulary we wouldn't make stupid comments like these. So I guess being intellectual would mean you are gay also.

Vista means Scenic View, whats gay about that? Would you preferred if they had named it Windows Grotesque?

View Post

Not many people will pick up a foreign dictionary to search what it really means. It's about marketing and this name doesn't really sounds that good.

#35 OP Mr. Dee

Mr. Dee

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 September 2005 - 17:01

That's kinda retarded since Office 2001 was already the name of a Microsoft Office suite on Mac...

Thats PaulT for you, but actually, this was from 2000 a little bit before Office 2001 for Mac was released and MacBU didn't finalize the name. But it would have been stupid anyway.

Not many people will pick up a foreign dictionary to search what it really means. It's about marketing and this name doesn't really sounds that good.

View Post

In the case of Mondo, we learnt from Vista, so if its speculation, it wouldn't kill you just to do a Google search, especially if you are that disturbed by Microsoft product names.

#36 ViperSnake

ViperSnake

Insert witty joke here

Posted 30 September 2005 - 11:52

Okay, my take on this:
Office 12 has a codename, it's Office Mondo 12, but that's just the code name, it might be Office 2006

#37 Sammyinnit

Sammyinnit

Neowinian

Posted 30 September 2005 - 21:36

Okay, my take on this:
Office 12 has a codename, it's Office Mondo 12, but that's just the code name, it might be Office 2006

View Post

The Codename Is Office 12 as far as I can see.

#38 Sammyinnit

Sammyinnit

Neowinian

Posted 30 September 2005 - 21:41

View Post

would mean you are gay also.

No I am not Homosexual

Meaning or not, it's not somthing I would like as the name of my operating system, basically because, it's not somthing I am not prepared to use on a daily basis.

Also, this name has already been used by another company, previous to Microsoft, poor research.

Office Mondo. I'm thinking, WTF? Enormous? Why would you name microsoft office with somthing that means that? Pointless realy.

#39 Commodore Max

Commodore Max

Everything is permitted ...

Posted 30 September 2005 - 22:59

View Post

Windows Grotesque ... :laugh:

I like the Vista word, because it just sounds and means right. But Mondo ? I mean, litterally it would be called Office Enourmous !

It just doesn't sound right ...

#40 OP Mr. Dee

Mr. Dee

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 September 2005 - 23:32

Windows Grotesque ... :laugh:

I like the Vista word, because it just sounds and means right. But Mondo ? I mean, litterally it would be called Office Enourmous !

It just doesn't sound right ...

View Post

It also means "World", which means Office 12 gives you control in a world of information. :)

#41 mcgahab

mcgahab

Neowinian

Posted 30 September 2005 - 23:40

oh my gosh, mondo? are you kidding? :wacko: i hope it's just another beta name.

Office 12 alone is even better. MS should stick to the tradition:

Microsoft Office 2006

#42 GCNaddict

GCNaddict

Forum ghost o.O

Posted 01 October 2005 - 00:17

That's a bit drastic...

But you're right it is a really bad name! And wasn't there a level in Super Mario World called "Mondo"?

View Post

• The name is too horrible to be a final name
  • Mondo was one of the eight "Special" levels in Super Mario World. I cant remember which one it was though.

#43 MGS4-SS

MGS4-SS

Perfection

Posted 01 October 2005 - 00:22

Vista = Sight
Mondo = World

See the world with Microsoft!  Enjoy Vista and Mondo and be productive!

View Post

For that we have Google Earth :D

#44 OP Mr. Dee

Mr. Dee

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 October 2005 - 15:43

oh my gosh, mondo? are you kidding?  :wacko: i hope it's just another beta name.

Office 12 alone is even better.  MS should stick to the tradition:

Microsoft Office 2006

View Post

The codename for Office 12 is "Office 12".

#45 megamanXplosion

megamanXplosion

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 October 2005 - 16:46

Also, this name has already been used by another company, previous to Microsoft, poor research.

"Windows Vista" has not been used by another company. "Vista" is not the name of any extant operating system.

----

As for "mondo", it means society in all of the languages I've heard it used in. I've never heard it being used in the context of meaning "enormous" or anything similar. In Esperanto, Italian, Spanish, Ido, etc. it means "world", "kingdom", or "society." When looked at in this perspective, "Office Mondo" makes sense because it is essentially targeted at the "Office Society." It also makes sense in the way it was pointed out earlier in combination with Windows Vista (Scenic View): "See the world with Microsoft!"

I believe Office 12 was not a name at all. Office 12 is nothing more than a version number. As far as I can tell, "Office Mondo" is just a code-name. I can't imagine Microsoft using a non-English term as part of their product name because Microsoft itself is mostly an English company and its largest consumer base is English. I think it is fairly likely that "Office Mondo" will be termed with an official year-form name like we are familiar with.