Could Office 12 be "Office Mondo"

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#46 OP Mr. Dee

Mr. Dee

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Windows 10, Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows 7 Professional

Posted 01 October 2005 - 21:52

"Windows Vista" has not been used by another company. "Vista" is not the name of any extant operating system.

----

As for "mondo", it means society in all of the languages I've heard it used in. I've never heard it being used in the context of meaning "enormous" or anything similar. In Esperanto, Italian, Spanish, Ido, etc. it means "world", "kingdom", or "society." When looked at in this perspective, "Office Mondo" makes sense because it is essentially targeted at the "Office Society." It also makes sense in the way it was pointed out earlier in combination with Windows Vista (Scenic View): "See the world with Microsoft!"

I believe Office 12 was not a name at all. Office 12 is nothing more than a version number. As far as I can tell, "Office Mondo" is just a code-name. I can't imagine Microsoft using a non-English term as part of their product name because Microsoft itself is mostly an English company and its largest consumer base is English. I think it is fairly likely that "Office Mondo" will be termed with an official year-form name like we are familiar with.

View Post

I think you just disked every non-English speaking Windows user. Its also a bit contrary, the next version of their most popular product Windows is using a non-English name "Vista" which means View. Whats so different about another non-English name "Mondo" which means world? The name does not necessarily affect a products value, it is not a feature or functionality, just a name with a deep meaning to reflect what the product has to offer. Again, Microsoft does not code name a product, that already has a code name.

#47 megamanXplosion

megamanXplosion

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 October 2005 - 01:19

I think you just disked every non-English speaking Windows user. Its also a bit contrary, the next version of their most popular product Windows is using a non-English name "Vista" which means View. Whats so different about another non-English name "Mondo" which means world? The name does not necessarily affect a products value, it is not a feature or functionality, just a name with a deep meaning to reflect what the product has to offer. Again, Microsoft does not code name a product, that already has a code name.

Vista is a known word in the English language and you can find it in every good English dictionary.

And how, exactly, did I "disk" every non-English speaking Windows user? Because I said that a mostly-English company can be expected to use an English name?

#48 OP Mr. Dee

Mr. Dee

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 October 2005 - 19:52

Vista is a known word in the English language and you can find it in every good English dictionary.

And how, exactly, did I "disk" every non-English speaking Windows user? Because I said that a mostly-English company can be expected to use an English name?

View Post

The names origin does not have anything to do with the quality of the product. That will be determined when it goes into technical testing and is in the hands of the general public. If you take into consideration an acronym such as XP or NT which does not not necessarily have a specific meaning to the masses but does have a deep meaning to the company, "experiences" and "new technology", you then begin to realize the reasoning behind the name.

It could be the same in the case of Mondo, which you defined as meaning "World", which could be signifying a deeper meaning with what the Office 12 product suite is actually aiming at. Either all 12 Office applications "I mean all 12 of the modules", is really the users world of information, whether its creating it or accessing it especially when you take into account products in the Office system such as Exchange Server, SharePoint Server, Commerce Server, Office LiveMeeting Server. You are talking about mission critical applications that store mission critical information. Obviously to any company that would make it a world of information from desktop to server applications.

#49 Sammyinnit

Sammyinnit

Neowinian

• Phone: HTC EVO 3D/Google-Asus Nexus 7 2nd Gen Tablet

Posted 02 October 2005 - 21:53

"Windows Vista" has not been used by another company. "Vista" is not the name of any extant operating system.

View Post

Looks like somebody didnt do their research

http://www.neowin.ne...opic=373367&hl=

#50 OP Mr. Dee

Mr. Dee

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 October 2005 - 23:14

View Post

Thanks for making that part known UnKnown User :)

#51 +Brandon Live

Brandon Live

Seattle geek

Posted 02 October 2005 - 23:18

View Post

What are you talking about? Bricscad Vista is not an OS.

#52 megamanXplosion

megamanXplosion

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 October 2005 - 01:52

The names origin does not have anything to do with the quality of the product. That will be determined when it goes into technical testing and is in the hands of the general public. If you take into consideration an acronym such as XP or NT which does not not necessarily have a specific meaning to the masses but does have a deep meaning to the company, "experiences" and "new technology", you then begin to realize the reasoning behind the name.

I never said the name's origin reflects the quality of the product. You're hearing things I did not say.

Looks like somebody didn't read the thread they referenced, because you can clearly see I have read that thread and responded to it.

Bricscad "Vista" is an entirely different name, in an entirely different industry, than Microsoft "Windows Vista." The name "Windows Vista" has never been trademarked (United States Patent and Trademark Office.)

#53 Sammyinnit

Sammyinnit

Neowinian

• Phone: HTC EVO 3D/Google-Asus Nexus 7 2nd Gen Tablet

Posted 03 October 2005 - 17:56

If you refer back to my origional statement, you will notice, if you care to actually read, I did not once say that it was used for the name of an OS. Microsoft would have known for a fact that it cant be used then.

But the name 'Vista' has been used by a different company already as a trade mark not registerd, but is still being used by another organisation.

#54 Matt A. Tobin

Matt A. Tobin

*** Error -1

Posted 03 October 2005 - 20:32

**** off vista bashers.. it will be office vista its almost curtan or certan w/e

#55 megamanXplosion

megamanXplosion

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 October 2005 - 22:06

If you refer back to my origional statement, you will notice, if you care to actually read, I did not once say that it was used for the name of an OS.

I was not refering to you when I talked about the industries they're in. I simply elaborated my point.

But the name 'Vista' has been used by a different company already as a trade mark not registerd, but is still being used by another organisation.

You seem to be missing the point. "Vista" and "Windows Vista" are not the same. It does not matter if Bricscad had a trademark, registered or unregistered, on the word "Vista." Microsoft is not applying for a trademark on the word "Vista." Microsoft is applying for a trademark on the phrase "Windows Vista."

#56 OP Mr. Dee

Mr. Dee

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 October 2005 - 22:17

**** off vista bashers.. it will be office vista its almost curtan or certan w/e

View Post

Microsoft has learnt from past mistakes with Windows "XP" and Office "XP" having the same acronym attached to their name. I can't even imagine the nightmare in support with folks telling folks they are running Windows XP on Windows 2000 when its actually Word 2002 or Office XP suite thats actually running on the system. Its either Office Mondo or Office 2006

#57 noPCtoday

noPCtoday

Contributor but insignificant to neowin.

Posted 04 October 2005 - 00:17

office nano

:rofl: rofl

#58 smash505

smash505

Technic

Posted 04 October 2005 - 02:02

Im pretty sure that the near monopoly company Microsoft will not have any problems aquiring a trademark for "Windows Vista".

And if they did have any troubles im sure that a couple million dollars of well placed money would sort it all out... ;)

#59 OP Mr. Dee

Mr. Dee

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 October 2005 - 14:21

office nano

:rofl: rofl

View Post

LOL! Thats a good one. :D

#60 Syphonic

Syphonic

Savvy

Posted 04 October 2005 - 14:31

Dosn't matter if someone else already has the phrase/word 'Vista' trademarked if it's for a different product/service. It only causes a problem if the company who already have it can present a strong legal case that another company using it would cause them a problem.

Why on earth would Microsoft have a problem getting a trademark for Windows Vista anyway?