why do americans call it gas?

i thought it was petrol that you put in your tank, but when it reaches the cylinder heads right before it ignites, it is a gas, called gasoline. So, if its a liquid, its petrol, and if its a gas, it gasoline. Just like water and steam really.

Well that's what my teacher told me :hmmm:

'Fraid not. The lift / elevator was 'invented' years before the USA existed as the USA.

What you are thinking of is the invention of the safety brake for the lift / elevator.

586590347[/snapback]

You are right, but they are now in an elevator, aka a "lift with that security brake thing that one yank invented". In other words it is a different machine now with a different name.

You are right, but they are now in an elevator, aka a lift with that security brake thin that one yank invented.  In other words it is a different machine now with a different name.

586590361[/snapback]

No, it's exactly the same machine with something else added.

Elevators (and were called elevators and not lifts) were in use in the USA before Otis invented the safety brake.

i thought it was petrol that you put in your tank, but when it reaches the cylinder heads right before it ignites, it is a gas, called gasoline. So, if its a liquid, its petrol, and if its a gas, it gasoline. Just like water and steam really.

586590359[/snapback]

your teacher would be wrong then... gasoline is a liquid not a vapor... when it goes in the cylinders its a vapor of gasoline and oxygen... petroleum is the parent product of gasoline... gasoline is refined from petroleum.

petroleum is actually what you call the black tary stuff that countries take out of the ground... gasoline is what you get after refineing and distilling petroleum

586590359[/snapback]

Teachers make things up a lot. :) Like that whole DARE program. Total rubbish.

I just don't understand why England is so opposed to American english. French and English are both branches of germanic origins, and the British were in love with borrowing from the French. Now American and British are just branches of the english language, but borrowing from us is a Bad Thing?? Double standards, me thinks.?

Because so much of it comes out their mouths :ninja: Ok lame atempt at a joke :p. Erm I honestly wouldn't know :( lol

586589978[/snapback]

You were right lame attempt....

We call it that way cause thats the way it was brought up.... LOL

we always called it gas but America is known for slang we have funny names for just about everything i guess....

look at hiphop, its nothing but slang ... but still has same meaning its just part of lang now to have about 10 different ways to say things as we get bored of names and use slang to keep the street lang up to date... i know its weird but hey keeps things funny too LOL

So you're saying gasoline & petrol are two different things?  :no:

586590033[/snapback]

Because they are.

Petrol is the black viscous thing that comes in barrels. Gasoline is a derivate of petroleum. You obtain gasoline after a very large process. And it's not black, lol.

I just don't understand why England is so opposed to American english. French and English are both branches of germanic origins, and the British were in love with borrowing from the French.

:wacko:

French comes from Latin, as Spanish, Italian and Portuguese, it has no germanic origins...

Ya, really. At least Americans gave it a noun.

I more and more think the British just want to be as apart from American anything as possible.

Like Coldplay. I swear it's Dave Matthews' freakin voice, but be damned if the British like someone from the states, let alone Virginia.

586590345[/snapback]

Err, Dave Matthews did live in Virginia (now Seattle). But he was born and grew up in South Africa.

Because they are.

Petrol is the black viscous thing that comes in barrels.  Gasoline is a derivate of petroleum. You obtain gasoline after a very large process. And it's not black, lol.

586590408[/snapback]

Okay, even though we've already established that petrol & gasoline are the same thing and petroleum is something completely different, humor me and tell me that the fuel that is used in europe (or any other country for that matter) is something completely different from what is used in the US... Are you telling me that if some guy bought a Ford Festiva in London and had it imported to the US he'd be unable to drive it here because of a difference in the fuel?

Germany in german is Deutschland

Spain in spanish is Espa?a

So why do other countrys call them Germany and Spain?

It is their country afterall, so their name must be right.

Kind of a simalar argument.

Spain> here isEspanha>Germany> here isAlemanha>USA> here isEstados Unidos>

i dont know why to "translate" country names to every language, but IMO its kind of hard to a japanese say Espa?a, or to a brazilian say Deutschland... maybe thats the reason...:happy:y: PS:b> Brazil is in fact Brasil (with a "s" instead of a "z"):yes:s:

Edited by JohnnyS

Germany in german is Deutschland

Spain in spanish is Espa?a

So why do other countrys call them Germany and Spain?

It is their country afterall, so their name must be right.

Kind of a simalar argument.

586590336[/snapback]

They don't, only English speaking ones do.;))

I agree with your point, though. Country (or other) names being translated always bother me. Like Jean-Sebastien Bach (French), or The Japas> (English). Don't even get me started on Nova Scotia.

:wacko:

French comes from Latin, as Spanish, Italian and Portuguese, it has no germanic origins...

586590544[/snapback]

I'm talking about the Franks who settled in what would wind up being named after them, and who ultimately created what would later be called French from the original latin spoken in the area.

Err, Dave Matthews did live in Virginia (now Seattle).  But he was born and grew up in South Africa.

586590534[/snapback]

The boy was born in South Africa, left when he was two years old, and didn't come back till he was a teenager. His parents were in America before having him. As soon as he reached adulthood, he came to Virginia and established his roots as a musician. While you can't really say he's "from" Virginia, by god you can't really say he's from anywhere. So I just point to where he feels most at home, which I assure you is Virginia.