Does Canada have an Army?

I'm just wondering what Canada has in terms of armed forces. You never really hear anything about them. They don't have any planes or subs or anything do they? I'm just curious. If someone could tell me or give me some good links I'd be thankful.

since you're from the states, us Candians will enlighten you with a bit of facts...

Yes, the Canadian do have an army and they are involved in peacekeeping missions all over the world especially in the middle east. We also made major contribution in WW1 and also WW2. Most of our troops are trained in the basic same fashion as the troops in the states and we are also use the same equipment as the troops in the states. The only difference is we have a relatively smaller army becuase the country see no need in putting in major fundings into guns and bombs...

we rather spend money on healthcare and social progrmas... ;)

since you're from the states, us Candians will enlighten you with a bit of facts...

Yes, the Canadian do have an army and they are involved in peacekeeping missions all over the world especially in the middle east. We also made major contribution in WW1 and also WW2. Most of our troops are trained in the basic same fashion as the troops in the states and we are also use the same equipment as the troops in the states. The only difference is we have a relatively smaller army becuase the country see no need in putting in major fundings into guns and bombs...

586604164[/snapback]

Oh okay, thanks. Thanks for the links as well. I didn't know Canada was involved in WWI and WWII. I was surprised as far as aircraft Canada only has one helicopter. But as you said, I guess that's not Canada's focus. However, I do disagree with your statement about healthcare and social programs. Since the beginning of government thousands of years ago, a country was based on it's military. Canada could be considered fairly weak in that way. But anyway, thanks for the information. :)

believe it or not the last time I heard some info about the Canadian Army. They were in New Orleans helping some of the people. and taking garbage out of rivers.

586604164[/snapback]

That's rather odd, since most of my family that live in and around Calgary & Edmonton have nothing to say but bad things about Canadian "Socialized Medicine" - in fact, many of them save their own money to travel to the US for any kind of surgical procedures because they're afraid of the level of care and expertice of Canadian physicians & surgeons. :yes: :pinch: :o :yes:

Rather, the reason that Canadian Armed Forces don't have the level of military forces is that they are much smaller in popluation than the US. Other than that, the RCAF is a top-notch Air Force and help in defending the northern-most areas of North America and help operate many of the BMEWS (Ballistic Missile Early Warning System) and the "DEW Line" (Distant Early Warning Line) installations that run in a line across the arctic portion of Northern Canada all the way across to Greenland.

;)

--ScottKin

Oh okay, thanks.  Thanks for the links as well.  I didn't know Canada was involved in WWI and WWII.  I was surprised as far as aircraft Canada only has one helicopter.  But as you said, I guess that's not Canada's focus.  However, I do disagree with your statement about healthcare and social programs.  Since the beginning of government thousands of years ago, a country was based on it's military.  Canada could be considered fairly weak in that way.  But anyway, thanks for the information.  :)

586604207[/snapback]

heh...actually, we were the first to free several Europen country from the Germans in WW2 when the US troops couldn't do it..;)

and no...Health Care and Social Program is the most important aspect in a country's developemnt because it's directly propertional to a country's quality of life, litercy rate and such...a country only should have an army enough to defent it self and that's what exactly Canada have...

That's rather odd, since most of my family that live in and around Calgary & Edmonton have nothing to say but bad things about Canadian "Socialized Medicine" - in fact, many of them save their own money to travel to the US for any kind of surgical procedures because they're afraid of the level of care and expertice of Canadian physicians & surgeons.?:yes::?:pinch:h:? ::yes:yes:

586604261[/snapback]

and under the same light, if you're poor say in the states, you'll be left their since the health care for the un-wealthy is so poor in the states. Our health care system make sure that everyone one no matter rich or poor can be on the same page health wise no matter if they can afford it or not which in all benifit the country as one...

of corse I understand there are much more room for improvement, but we are for sure setting up a good example for rest of the 1st world countries to follow...

:shifty:?;))

586604266[/snapback]

The US to back us up? Ugh sir I hear fighting drop bomb? The US caused more friendly fire and killed some of our troops because of it.

Why do we need the US? No country hates us, we never instigate wars like they do in the US.

Remember the US did not win WW2. They only joined in 2 years later because they could not believe what was going on while they sided on the Allies after. How close where the nazis to coming into North America? Extremely close, they were in the St. Lawrence seaway and the Canadians destroyed their U-Boats.

Canada was the first and only North American country to invade and fight over in Europe. We freed the Netherlands from Nazi occupation.

Maybe the americans don't hear about the Canadian army because the right-wing news organizations try to boost morale for the war while non of the truth gets said. Canada is making big contributions in New Orleans and also fighting in Afghanistan.

A lot of the technology that is used in the US is made in Canada from guns to bullet programs to match bullets to a crime scene.

Ya know, if the US were to drop the cost of education in the US people would leave the army. Think of it a lot of people join the reserves to try to get a great education and hope they don't have to serve overseas in actual combat.

And NO WE DON'T LIVE IN IGLOOS.

Oh okay, thanks.  Thanks for the links as well.  I didn't know Canada was involved in WWI and WWII.  I was surprised as far as aircraft Canada only has one helicopter.  But as you said, I guess that's not Canada's focus.  However, I do disagree with your statement about healthcare and social programs.  Since the beginning of government thousands of years ago, a country was based on it's military.  Canada could be considered fairly weak in that way.  But anyway, thanks for the information.  :)

586604207[/snapback]

Canada isn't weak; Canada is protected by USA, believe it or not.. IF any country messes with Canada - Which is completely impossible since they're so peaceful.

we dont need much of an army because people like us.

586604298[/snapback]

Like I didn't see that coming a mile away. What a dumb comment. First off, there will always be people wanting more power and more land. Secondly, I think the last thing people think about when they are going to attack a country is if "people like them". Without this turning into a US vs Canada thing or anything, the fact is Canada will have to rely on other countries if they ever went to war. As those links provided, Canada has forces to protect themselves well during peacetime but I don't see Canada being able to resist a large, full scale war. Although that's not the point, a lot of people "dislike" the US. Even some in Canada. But who cares, we know who would win the war.

586604164[/snapback]

[whipsound] :p

Well said.

Like I didn't see that coming a mile away.  What a dumb comment.  First off, there will always be people wanting more power and more land.  Secondly, I think the last thing people think about when they are going to attack a country is if "people like them".  Without this turning into a US vs Canada thing or anything, the fact is Canada will have to rely on other countries if they ever went to war.  As those links provided, Canada has forces to protect themselves well during peacetime but I don't see Canada being able to resist a large, full scale war.  Although that's not the point, a lot of people "dislike" the US.  Even some in Canada. But who cares, we know who would win the war.

586604345[/snapback]

The fact is Canada only has about 32 million people, compared to the 300 million of the States. If you were to keep the military personnel to civilian ratios the same, the States would still have an army 10 times the size of the Canadian. Although Canada has participated in many conflicts over the years, it never supported war. The fact that we are not extreme left or right keeps us safe from war.

Like I didn't see that coming a mile away.  What a dumb comment.  First off, there will always be people wanting more power and more land.  Secondly, I think the last thing people think about when they are going to attack a country is if "people like them".  Without this turning into a US vs Canada thing or anything, the fact is Canada will have to rely on other countries if they ever went to war.  As those links provided, Canada has forces to protect themselves well during peacetime but I don't see Canada being able to resist a large, full scale war.  Although that's not the point, a lot of people "dislike" the US.  Even some in Canada. But who cares, we know who would win the war.

586604345[/snapback]

Yah yah we beat you in the war of 1812 when you tried to invade us. We burned down your white house many times. We are what 2-0.

If that is so true why did the US get on their hands and knees faster than Monica Lewinsky did to Bill Clinton in trying to get Britain involved in the oil stealing in Iraq? Someone so mighty and strong would not need other countries to help like you said if Candada had to defend itself.

I'd like to see how much the US would help canada if we had a major flooding like New Orleans did. Heck even our gov't did fundraising and raised over $125k in 1 day I bet the US didn't mention that!