Does Canada have an Army?

Remember the US did not win WW2. They only joined in 2 years later because they could not believe what was going on while they sided on the Allies after. How close where the nazis to coming into North America? Extremely close, they were in the St. Lawrence seaway and the Canadians destroyed their U-Boats.

Canada was the first and only North American country to invade and fight over in Europe. We freed the Netherlands from Nazi occupation.

Maybe the americans don't hear about the Canadian army because the right-wing news organizations try to boost morale for the war while non of the truth gets said. Canada is making big contributions in New Orleans and also fighting in Afghanistan.

A lot of the technology that is used in the US is made in Canada from guns to bullet programs to match bullets to a crime scene.

Ya know, if the US were to drop the cost of education in the US people would leave the army. Think of it a lot of people join the reserves to try to get a great education and hope they don't have to serve overseas in actual combat.

And NO WE DON'T LIVE IN IGLOOS.

586604341[/snapback]

Thanks kibkid, but this poster I'm quoting here also sumed it up very well...

Few people know, but Canada used to be a nation with nuclear powers from 1960's till 1984

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_and_we...ass_destruction

Also, saying that US protects Canada is not politically correct. Both countries are partners when it comes to protecting the skies of North America as a continent and formed The North American Aerospace Defence Command (NORAD).

"Since 1958, Canadians and Americans have been partners in protecting the airspace of Alaska, Canada and the contiguous 48 United States."

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/focus/canada-us/bg00.010_e.asp

http://www.norad.mil

In addition, Canada is part of NATO (The North Atlantic Treaty Organization). Article 5 of which says: "The Parties agree that an armed attack against one or more of them in Europe or North America shall be considered an attack against them all..."

http://www.nato.int/

And yes, Canada is famous for its peace-keeping missions as part of UN.

Bottom line: Canada is a peaceful nation, however Canada has a well-equipped army and other military tools available to it as part of international cooperation with other democratic states, so don't mess with us.

...we rather spend money on healthcare and social progrmas... ;)

With such a neighbour, I'd seriously reconsider this... Anyone seen the movie "Canadian Bacon" with John Candy? :whistle: :D

since you're from the states, us Candians will enlighten you with a bit of facts...

Yes, the Canadian do have an army and they are involved in peacekeeping missions all over the world especially in the middle east. We also made major contribution in WW1 and also WW2. Most of our troops are trained in the basic same fashion as the troops in the states and we are also use the same equipment as the troops in the states. The only difference is we have a relatively smaller army becuase the country see no need in putting in major fundings into guns and bombs...

we rather spend money on healthcare and social progrmas... ;)

586604164[/snapback]

:yes:

free healthcare rules :D

I can't believe someone was silly enough to think they had ONE helicopter :D But then again, the question itself was silly. Oh, both came from the same person. :p

:yes:

free healthcare rules :D

586604535[/snapback]

you do realize it isn't really free, people who work (which most do) pay for it thru taxes ;) oddly I thought I would never say this but I wish private health care was here in Ontario :D

Since the beginning of government thousands of years ago, a country was based on it's military.  Canada could be considered fairly weak in that way.  But anyway, thanks for the information.  :)

586604207[/snapback]

too bad that was true up until about 100 yrs ago :rolleyes: nowadays being part of an international group like NATO is enough

Prior to world war two, we had just over 30 naval vessels.

Before the end of world war 2, we had produced a further 110 naval vessels (most of them cutter class) to become the 3rd largest navy in the world. Since that time, we haven't had a single war that required such a response, thus we haven't wasted any money on unnecessary armament that can only be perceived as a threat.

Do you know how the First world war started?

The european countries (France, Germany, UK, Russia(kinda), Ottoman Empire, Austria-Hungary, etc.) started rolling out MASSIVE armies. Huge ones! And this was during peace time. With that armament, tensions grew... Because of that pre-emptive, unnecessary build up of weapons over 15,000,000 lives were lost.

Though I do stand for increased funding of our army, I don't believe we should stockpile arms "just in case". I would like to see our peace keeping missions increased (you know, the philosophy of going to a country to keep the peace, not to destroy peace).

Also remember Canada has ~35 million citizens. The US has ~254 Million citizens. Naturally their amry will be large.

We are simply a peace promoting country, not a war mongering one.

-Ax

I can't believe someone was silly enough to think they had ONE helicopter :D  But then again, the question itself was silly.  Oh, both came from the same person. :p

586604544[/snapback]

I didn't say one helicopter, I meant one model of helicopter. How is that question silly? Has Canada ever made a military aircraft themselves? Most look like are from the US or British forces. Also, how is the question silly? It was an honest question. You never hear anything about the Canadian military and as it turns out they have a fairly small military. So I don't understand how that's a dumb question. Just remember you're on a web site based in the US, using the internet invented by the US, and using electricty to power your computer which was invented by an American. But whatever, I just had a simple question which has turned into something different.

Canada did a hell of a lot of work in WW1 and WW2. As they were actually part of the D-Day landings, along with the UK. Maybe some Aussies too. So, contrary to the belief of Saving Private Ryan, the US did not take the beaches on their own.

Every country has an Army, or some sort of one. As they would be defenceless without one.

Canada was the first and only North American country to invade and fight over in Europe. We freed the Netherlands from Nazi occupation.

586604341[/snapback]

I don't even know where to begin with that. Don't get me wrong, I understand Canada's contribution to WW2 as well as there current contributions to the world today, but to claim that they were the only North American country to invade and fight over in Europe is arrogant to say the least.

The fact of the matter is the Germans were advancing on a lot of fronts until the United States entered the war. Now I?m not claiming that the United States alone won World War 2 because that would be just as arrogant as your claim above. If anybody is to be given more credit I believe it should be the British as they were truly amazing with there defense of Great Briton. Great Briton, of course, being the launching point of the beginning of the end of the war.

That all said and done I may have just miss interpreted your poor grammar and if that is the case I apologize.

Canada did a hell of a lot of work in WW1 and WW2. As they were actually part of the D-Day landings, along with the UK. Maybe some Aussies too. So, contrary to the belief of Saving Private Ryan, the US did not take the beaches on their own.

Every country has an Army, or some sort of one. As they would be defenceless without one.

586604660[/snapback]

Saving Private Ryan never once made the claim that the United States alone took all the beaches. The small part of the D-Day landing you see in Saving Private Ryan takes place at Omaha beach which was indeed taken by the United States (as well as Utah beach). The Canadians were responsible for Juno beach and the British were resoinsible for the Gold and Sword beaches.

I'm glad this topic hasnt turned into a flame fest so far. I just wanted to add the point that Canada also has a secret service that not many people know about. I read about it one time a while back, and turns out the FBI and CIA have seen them in action and were very impressed. It's like a secret SWAT force.

Also, to expand on the New Orleans point, the army was down there before most of the American troops even got there because of FEMA's slow response. I also heard that a lot of Canadian flags were flying around to show respect for the Canadians that were helping out.

you do realize it isn't really free, people who work (which most do) pay for it thru taxes ;) oddly I thought I would never say this but I wish private health care was here in Ontario  :D

586604552[/snapback]

I'm perfectly fine with paying for health care through taxes. Though our taxes are a little higher than other countries, we get much more benefits than they do. I was in the hospital for treatment over this past summer. It just makes more sense to have it set up this way. (Especially if you visit the hospital very often).

I didn't say one helicopter, I meant one model of helicopter.? How is that question silly?? Has Canada ever made a military aircraft themselves?? Most look like are from the US or British forces.? Also, how is the question silly?? It was an honest question.? You never hear anything about the Canadian military and as it turns out they have a fairly small military.? So I don't understand how that's a dumb question.? Just remember you're on a web site based in the US, using the internet invented by the US, and using electricty to power your computer which was invented by an American.? But whatever, I just had a simple question which has turned into something different.

586604658[/snapback]

And you still don't understand why you guys (Americans) have poor reputation in the world after what you just said?

1) As far as I know, development of ANY major weapon or technology in 20th century involved scientists from many countries.

2) The fact that you don?t hear anything about Canada is because you live in US and read/watch US media. Your level of education doesn?t show however that you read any serious publication or familiar with history.

3) Elictricity, as well as many other things that Americans think they invented, was not first discoved in America. Check out this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity

"According to Thales of Miletus, writing circa 600 BCE, a form of electricity was known to the Ancient Greeks, who found that rubbing fur on various substances, such as amber, would cause a particular attraction between the two. The Greeks noted that the amber buttons could attract light objects such as hair, and that if they rubbed the amber for long enough, they could even get a spark to jump. This is the origin of the word "electricity", from the Greek ēlektron = "amber", which came from an old root ēlek- = "shine"."

"In 1600 the English scientist William Gilbert returned to the subject in De Magnete, and coined the modern Latin word electricus from ηλεκτρον (elektron), the Greek word for "amber", which soon gave rise to the English words electric and electricity. He was followed in 1660 by Otto von Guericke, who is regarded as having invented an early electrostatic generator. Other European pioneers were Robert Boyle, who in 1675 stated that electric attraction and repulsion can act across a vacuum; Stephen Gray, who in 1729 classified materials as conductors and insulators; and C. F. Du Fay, who first identified the two types of electricity that would later be called positive and negative. The Leyden jar, a type of capacitor for electrical energy in large quantities, was invented at Leiden University by Pieter van Musschenbroek in 1745. William Watson, experimenting with the Leyden jar, discovered in 1747 that a discharge of static electricity was equivalent to an electric current."

Edited by Zhivago

And you still don't understand why you guys (Americans) have poor reputation in the world after what you just said?

1) As far as I know, development of ANY major weapon or technology in 20th century involved scientists from many countries.

2) The fact that you don?t hear anything about Canada is because you live in US and read/watch US media. Your level of education doesn?t show however that you read any serious publication or familiar with history.

3) Elictricity, as well as many other things that Americans think they invented, was not first discoved in America. Check out this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity

586604727[/snapback]

What? What did any other country have to do with the making of the first atomic bomb? That was the most secret project ever. I doubt the US was making calls to countries calling for help. The Internet was also a made by the US Government. If I remember correctly, that was on the first test I took for Cisco Networking. You don't think I've read any "serious publication or familiar with history"? Okay, unlike what you probably think, most Americans do realize there is a world outside our four borders. I don't understand why the US has a "poor reputation" as you say. Most people probably don't even know why they hate the US. They're just bandwagon jumpers. I'm sick of trying to defend my own country on the internet.

The U.S. is a great country, so everyone putting it down should be ashamed of themselves. Look how old your country is, comparet to the U.S. Now look at where we are in the world today considering power and wealth. You dont even give americans credit for what they have done in such a short time.

I like how this went from a thread about Canada to another thread about 'stop bashing the USA!@!@!! Everybody hates us : ( blah blah'

Anyways, I'm no history buff but I think most of the big military aerospace type projects here died off like 30 or 40 years ago.

What?? What did any other country have to do with the making of the first atomic bomb

To begin with, Albert Einstein was a German-born Jewish theoretical physicist of German, Swiss and American citizenship

The Internet was also a made by the US Government.

It?s true, but there were also computer networks in other parts of the world. In addition, the Internet would not exist without technologies such as telephone and radio (I bet you thought these were also American inventions). Oh, and I forgot to mention that HTML was invented by an englishman (Tim Berners-Lee).

I don't understand why the US has a "poor reputation" as you say.

Look up the definition of word ?arrogance?.

Edited by Zhivago

You dont even give americans credit for what they have done in such a short time.

586604978[/snapback]

Sure we do! You've been the first people dumb enough to ever use the A bomb.

You've started war for all the wrong reasons. You've elected (kinda) a complete idiot as your president (with your pseudo-democratic way). Etc...

So, you see, sure we give you credit... ;)