How do you pronounce "BETA"?

This has bugged me for ages - how do you pronounce the word BETA? I've heard it pronounced "beater", "better" and "beader" and as you can imagine, it's been rather confusing for me. :wacko:

So how do you pronounce it?

Yeah Beat'a, unlike the US who say Bayta

586631453[/snapback]

Aye,

I was having an argument with a friend at work.. In the UK it's Beat'a, in the US its Bayta.

Simple :)

qbie

I was wondering this aswell. I say "Bee-ta". I think that's the same as "beater" and "beat'a". I've always heard americans say "bay-ta" but never heard "better" before :s

It's true. We in the UK, who speak proper English :), pronounce it "beater" whereas the Americans pronounce it "beyter".

Unlike the word 'Data' which the UK pronounces "Dayter" and the US pronounces "Darta"... unless you're watching ST: TNG.

Just don't confuse this pronunciation with Feta cheese, which is said "fetta".

I'm going back to bed. This is all too much.

It's true.  We in the UK, who speak proper English :), pronounce it "beater" whereas the Americans pronounce it "beyter".

Unlike the word 'Data' which the UK pronounces "Dayter" and the US pronounces "Darta"... unless you're watching ST: TNG.

Just don't confuse this pronunciation with Feta cheese, which is said "fetta".

I'm going back to bed.  This is all too much.

586631498[/snapback]

AGAIN, Where the HELL are you uk'ers getting this "ER" or "TER" at the end. It's spelt BETA!!!!!!! TA TA TA!!!!!!

jesus christ

No offense, but if that is how they say it in the UK, then the UK'ers don't know how to sound out words correctly. That's a horrible mispronouning

Offence taken. Seeing as it migrated from Greek into English and then across the pond perhaps you clueless Yanks who can't spell altered the pronunciation as part of the independence kick.

You could ask the Italians how they pronounce "Florence", or the French "Paris" and come to the same arrogant conclusion...

"Bayta" always makes me think of Snake in The Simpsons after he's nicked a VCR and is disappointed when he notices the format.

• Like 1

Queer is some thing to discribe a gender or some thing strange.

how can this topic be any one of the above?.

In england we speek properly and do not drop words from our spelling.

Queer is some thing to discribe a gender or some thing strange.

how can this topic be any one of the above?. 

In england we speek properly and do not drop words from our spelling.

586631540[/snapback]

Now this is a pointless thread. We have two similar languages that have some differences. Neither are wrong.

I personally dont like it when you UK people talk as if you speak properly over us Americans. I use the word "English" liberally to describe what language I speak in the US, but if you must get technical, I would call UK English "English", since that is where it originated, and the US English "American English". This over 'proper' and 'improper' because once a notion becomes widely used (i.e. the whole population of the US) it isnt improper anymore.

bay-tah, btw

-Spenser

Edited by stifler6478