27 replies to this topic

#16 forkart

forkart

Neowinian

• 30 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 04:55

how n use what program to burn a Bootable ISO? :unsure:

:D Im a technicial NewB
mind to explain or tech me how to do this....

- Make a 700MB CD-R that inside hav
( Windows XP )
( Windows ME )
( My all Driver )

- Can All this thing Goes in 1 CD ??? even if it can but can make it into Bootable?

Thx for the pro that help  :woot:

View Post

Just use magiciso to burn bootable ISO. or create iso for multi-boot cd.

http://www.magiciso....multi-os-cd.htm

#17 natan770

natan770

Neowinian

• 11 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 18:51

A good alternative to Ghost

I've been using Symantec Ghost a few times, with bootable DVDs and in a PXE environment as well. But I was upset as it's working in DOS mode (thus, I had to build bootable 3'5 disks with the right NIC DOS driver, burn them as DVD with disk emulation, etc.) And it required a Ghostcast server... And it's not free.

So, I've built a Linux ISO image (based on RIP), and added tools and scripts. This is now a full-working project, completely free.

I've called it PING (Partimage Is Not Ghost). Features include:
# Backup and Restore partitions or files to a MS Network Shared directory;
# Backup and Restore the BIOS data as well;
# Either burn a bootable CD / DVD, either integrate within a PXE / RIS environment;
# Possibility to Blank local admin's password;
# Create your own restoration bootable DVD

=> See all features / download here: http://ping.windowsdream.com.

Hope it'll help some folks out there...
Please, if you give it a try, tell me how it's working for you.

Natan
http://www.windowsdream.com -- Auto-update your PC with freeware/opensource
http://ping.windowsdream.com -- Partimage Is Not Ghost

#18 TheNay

TheNay

Urbanist & Techie

• 6,252 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 18:24

Nice guide, one question if we intend on using Acronis (or any other backup solution), should we turn off System Restore prior to doing the backup? As well clearing the last created retores. It might save some space right?

#19 OP Zxian

Zxian

ERTW!!!!

• 802 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 19:54

That's a good question... I'm not entirely sure about that. I'll have to give it a whirl to let you know.

#20 natan770

natan770

Neowinian

• 11 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 19:59

Nice guide, one question if we intend on using Acronis (or any other backup solution), should we turn off System Restore prior to doing the backup? As well clearing the last created retores. It might save some space right?

Hi Thenay. You don't need to turn off System Restore, nor to set Pagefile off before launching a backup. The PING linux comes with a NTFS driver, which enables my script to delete Pagefile.sys and Hiberfil.sys before making the backup -- which is safe, since Windows will recreate them automatically when booting up the system again.

Regards
Natan
http://www.windowsdream.com -- Auto-update your PC with freeware/opensource
http://ping.windowsdream.com -- Partimage Is Not Ghost

#21 OP Zxian

Zxian

ERTW!!!!

• 802 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 23:44

So... why are you spamming this thread? This guide is for Acronis products, not PING.

#22 OP Zxian

Zxian

ERTW!!!!

• 802 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 20:09

Regarding the System Restore question posted by thenay, yes, you will save some space on your image. So you'd probably want to do that before creating the image.

Thanks for pointing that out thenay. I don't even use System Restore anymore, so I had completely forgot about it. :)

#23 cropcircles

cropcircles

Neowinian

• 1,451 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 17:15

Vista Images. Anybody figure out how to restore the bootmanager/bootloader for Vista. When I go to restore my Vista image on a seperate partitian I'm unable to boot into Vista (5270) because the bootloader is created on the OS installation. I'm dual booting with XP Any ideas here.

#24 cropcircles

cropcircles

Neowinian

• 1,451 posts

Posted 25 December 2005 - 18:21

I submitted this question to Acronis and a tech responded saying that future developement will incorporate the MBR when restoring the Vista OS images. ?

#25 parminder

parminder

Resident One Post Wonder

• 1 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 17:35

Hello

I need some help. I have tried to follow the guide on creating bootable DVD. the only difference is i am using the acronis True image 9. I was succesfully able to create the Bootable CD and created the ISO and added the .tib file and saved it to new ISO.

After i burn the new ISO to DVD and try to boot from it It comes to screen saying Acronis boot Loader and then error unable to load.

But if i use the CD ISO it boots fine. Could it be that i am missing a step? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Parminder

#26 OP Zxian

Zxian

ERTW!!!!

• 802 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 19:29

I'm now using True Image 9 as well, and the general method for this hasn't changed for me. I'd try starting the whole process from scratch. Make sure that your .tib file is not larger than 4GB, otherwise you won't be able to properly read the files.

#27 ZileXa

ZileXa

Neowinian

• 14 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 18:50

I would recommend Ghost instead of Acronis.. it is far easier and has some nice benefits.
Create a bootable Ghost floppy/cd/dvd/usbstick, boot pc with it, select Partition > To Image, select the partition to backup, select as Target your CDR(W), choose High Compression. Ghost will ask if you want a Bootable disc. Yes! Wait 10-20min, done.

Advantages:
1. no need for editing iso, burning with other software/multiple steps to create backup.
Image is compressed and burned to disc immediately.
3. The bootfiles+Ghost take up only 1.2 MB of your disc!
Acronis needs 20-30MB !?
Especially if your image would just fit a CD it saves space using Ghost.

I never understood why Acronis needs so much space.

#28 Maszi65

Maszi65

Resident One Post Wonder

• 1 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 20:50

Thank you for this great job. It is very helpful. One more backup.tib 4 gb file, the system recovery success.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!