How The Hell????

Originally posted by shockz

They do the four letter min, because if it went any lower it would slow the site and forums down. The database would be too busy looking for things.

So how do I find threads with GEM in it?

according to redmak (i think), the search is actually already done before you peform it. I don't know exactly how it works, but he said that the terms were automatically mapped to certain threads beforehand.

Originally posted by codyg11

according to redmak (i think), the search is actually already done before you peform it. I don't know exactly how it works, but he said that the terms were automatically mapped to certain threads beforehand.

That would be so un-"Neowin" like. I mean, that's how really bum web pages make their searches. Maybe it's because of the way the Board is set up...

Or else they have those things from minority report sitting around, knowing exactly what you're going to search for before you even start searching...

Yeah, there are alternate ways of finding those articles. It would be nice to search the more popular 3-letter acronyms in the search engine. Example:

SPx Service pack

ATI

RAM

Yup, I agree, the 4 letter minimum on searches essentially castrates the search engine. I can certainly sympathize with neowin for not doing it that way, however. It would be nice if you could add "special case" three letter words like DrunkenMaster suggested (ie, RAM, CPU, ATI, OS, XP, etc).

If you want to search for 3 letter words use wildcards

Like ati* , cpu* , amd*

There are some limits installed because searches are heavy on the server.

There are so many 3 letter words therefore we have a 4 letter limit. We also have a 30 sec flood check so you can't search more than once in 30 secs