The Internet 10 years ago

I remember using a 2400 dial up modem with Windows 3.1 to access the internet. I used Compuserve. It cost a monthly fee, plus pay as you go if you went on to the "World Wide Web" (outside of thier software portal).

Pages & Images used to take fricking ages to download, but it was great. I always ended up onto the WWW and ended up paying around ?100 per month for that, plus the monthly fee plus my phone line costs. Damn it was expensive.

I had to cancel my Compuserve account when I received my phone bill, and Compuserve bill on the same day....it all came to around ?400! I immediatly went online and cancelled my Compuserve account when I got that bil:(:(

Good fun while it lasted though.

Got back online a year later and waited for this thing called "cable" to arrive from "United Artists", (later to eventually become Telewest).

Now I am about to get 10mb connection, (upgraded free from 4mb), all for ?35 per month with no phoneline costs eith;) ;)

How times change.

Net in late 80s and early 90s was so much better, less clueless and ignorant people online, no viruses, practically no spam..

Those were the days. Now it's pretty much gone to the sh!tter.

586681360[/snapback]

That?s because you didn't have 12 year olds logging onto those sites and ruining them. Most of the problems I see here on Neowin are from know-it-all kids that feel they need to show some form of superiority they don't have by cursing and belittling others.

I too remember connecting to my favorite BBS at 2400 baud. Then came windows 3.1 and I got Prodigy eventually upgraded to a 28.8 which was a waste of money because I couldn't ever connect faster than 19.2

that could somehow be a combination of blue back ground, and black background text ...

its hard to see

586679051[/snapback]

yea im sure its that also... i thought it was xp but then i looked at it again...

I have been using the Internet since 1995, our university had it and I remember the World Wide Web so that video is older, maybe late 80s or early 90s?

I've been using broadband since 1997, when Road Runner was offered in our building.

Things change so much that 5 years ago on the internet is different from today, and I can't wait what 5 years from now or even 10 years from now will offer.

Here's to the Internet! :pint:

This clip annoyed me everytime they said "internet" it's THE internet  :p

586678631[/snapback]

Yer I dident like them saying internet. The internet lol

the image on the screen around 3:30 is a skyline. :yes:

man, i only got on the net a few years ago (with my second computer)

damn things have changed since that video (and even since i first came online)

I've been using some form of the internet since 1993, I guess, when my dad got Mosaic (which became Netscape, I think). I think we had Compuserve or something after that, back when it was powered by Gopher. Anyone remember that? I used to look up Duke Nukem codes on that.. haha.. Gopher sucked.

586681334[/snapback]

Gopher still lives :)

I think it's even supported in Firefox... Although there's some bug with menu text rendering that'll supposedly be fixed in Firefox 1.5. Hilarious! :D Microsoft just disabled Gopher support when IE was found to have a vulnerability with it. It can be re-enabled via a registry change.

Here's an example site:

gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/

:D

Hmm... 1995...

That's when Doom95 was released, one of the first (big commercial at least) games to have a version for Windows 95. :) Before '95 was the DOS era with Norton Commander and launching games from the command line. :D And playing lots and lots of adventure games like Monkey Island and Leisure Suit Larry. Where are that genre now? :cry:

Oh and DirectX games soon started to appear, being revolutionary to the Windows platform -- comments like "how the heck can a game run THIS fast in Windows!?! It's faster than in DOS!!" from users used to Windows 3.1 were common. :)

I also liked the many different computers and hardware back then. :) I used an Amiga 500+ with a 2400 kbps modem in ~1993 or so, hehe. Actually transitioned to PC about in 1995, give or take some years, with an Intel 486 DX/2 66 MHz, later overclocked to 80 MHz, later upgraded to a DX/4 100 MHz. Wow, was that racing in Duke Nukem 3D! :D

Edited by Jugalator

imagine it a decade from now.

586678617[/snapback]

scary!

This clip annoyed me everytime they said "internet" it's THE internet  :p

586678631[/snapback]

seriously! people are dumb :woot: :p :pinch: jk

lol look at about 3:30 top left corner on the screen.

He's running xp  :devil:

well it looks like the xp wallpaper lol

586678642[/snapback]

It does.. they predicted the futrue!!! :alien: :alien:

This video probably came out a couple years ago, so it's not 10 years from 2005.

But it's interesting, nonetheless.

586714698[/snapback]

Actually this video appears to predate 1995. There's a reference to a widely known murder case in the 90's involving Karla Homolka. That trial began in 93 or 94. So this video is more like 11-12 yrs ago :)

Man, I sitll remember surfing BBS' around then, and hearing of this Internet phenomenon. Mostly people with university-aged siblings got access first, using PPP (point-to-point protocol) and such. In fact, I think i was text browsing via the Toronto FreeNet (using lynx) till about '96 or '97!

Ah ... my first foray on the WWW was when my aunt and uncle sent me a Intel 386 PC w/ 8mb of RAM... I would log on for a few minutes cuz my roomate (who owned the phone line) would bang on my floor *LOL*

Then in School ... grade 9 ... we had those LOVELY 286/386 IBM's with no HDD"s, just conncted via Token Ring .... and that funky blue screen where you chose your username, password, and programs to use. :D

I fell in love that year ... with the 'net ... and I'm still in love with her today *LOL*

What would we do with out our 'mistress' The Internet?

in 10 years we will beable to plug are brains into the internet lol

586678603[/snapback]

More like in 10 years the internet will plug itself into our brains without us asking! :wacko: