Gulf Coast Hurricane Disaster Area

It is going to take billions if not trillions to rebuild the Gulf coast area where the hurricanes hit. The county and state government cant afford to pay for it all so, when does the Federal Government step in?

In no way am I saying that the hurricane victims are S.O.L. but I am curious how this gigantic task is going to be paid for. Maybe it is time for other countries to start rebuilding the USA. I hear the news report that we gave billions of dollars to a country for whatever reason. But, seldom (if ever) do I hear that such-and-such country gave the USA billions for our needs. Furthermore, I don?t think I have ever heard that the country we loaned money to, just paid their debt off. To me the word 'loan' means you have to give whatever was loaned to you, back.

Maybe it's time that we slack off sending so many billions of dollars to other countries and keep some of the money for ourselves. It seems to me that would prevent raising taxes and interest rates to pay for rebuilding the gulf coast areas. If we stopped sending so much money to other countries maybe we could focus the spending on education, and replenish the social security funds. Possibly with the money we keep for ourselves, we could set back for events like the hurricanes or other national disasters.

As a tax payer, I don?t think it is fair that I might have to pay more taxes to rebuild the gulf coast area. Especially knowing that we send billions and billions to other countries for what seems to me - futile and unmatched by other countries.

What is your thoughts? Do you think its time for other countries to financially help the US rebuild the Gulf?

Thanks

:ninja:nja:

Some of the money will come from the Federal government, but a large portion is also coming from insurance companies. That's what people have homeowner's insurance for, and businesses have insurance as well.

I do agree that we need to stop sending money overseas while we have people here in this country that are in need.

I know where the money will come from: us, the tax payers.

586697759[/snapback]

Every time I hear someone say that (about anything, not just about Katrina), it seems as if they are forgetting that the people who lost their homes, businesses, etc, paid taxes too. If you lived in an area that was devastated by some natural disaster, you'd be hoping that the government would use some of your taxes to help you out too.

Hopefully that $400,000,000+ for two Alaskan bridges pork will get amended out of one of the appropriations bills or scaled back quite a bit. There's one example, among many other pork projects. Search: Think Progress

I don't agree with these large-scale nation-building projects overseas, so you can toss some of them out the window or reduce their scope; there's another example or more.