Underage sex laws can't be harsher on gays

TOPEKA, Kansas (AP) -- The Kansas Supreme Court on Friday unanimously struck down a state law that punished underage sex more severely if it involved homosexual acts.

The court said "moral disapproval" of such conduct is not enough to justify the different treatment.

In a case closely watched by national groups on all sides of the gay rights debate, the high court said the law "suggests animus toward teenagers who engage in homosexual sex."

Gay rights groups praised the ruling, while conservatives bitterly complained that the court intruded on the Legislature's authority to make the laws.

The case involved an 18-year-old man, Matthew R. Limon, who was found guilty in 2000 of performing a sex act on a 14-year-old boy and was sentenced to 17 years in prison. Had one of them been a girl, state law would have dictated a maximum sentence of 15 months.

The high court ordered that Limon be resentenced as if the law treated illegal gay sex and illegal straight sex the same. He has already served more than five years.

Limon's lawyer, James Esseks of the American Civil Liberties Union's Lesbian and Gay Rights Project, said: "We are very happy that Matthew will soon be getting out of prison. We are sorry there is no way to make up for the extra four years he spent in prison simply because he is gay."

source:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/10/21/sodomy.case.ap/index.html

cmon, he fondled a 14 year old! that's like eeew pedophile. i can't understand why there's such a huge gap tho. must be another one of those idiotic US laws.

maybe because homosexual "intercourse" leaves a deeper impression in the kids mind? i dunno.

cmon, he fondled a 14 year old! that's like eeew pedophile. i can't understand why there's such a huge gap tho. must be another one of those idiotic US laws.

maybe because homosexual "intercourse" leaves a deeper impression in the kids mind? i dunno.

586709070[/snapback]

The sentence should have been worse for fondling a girl 15 months is nothing.

But I do understand why for a man fondling a boy it is worse, as if I was that Boy it would be much worse for a guy to fondle me (unless of course I was gay).

cmon, he fondled a 14 year old! that's like eeew pedophile.

586709070[/snapback]

17 years is insane for any type of non-violent 'sex crime'. And if the 14 y.o. boy consented, it's even more senseless.

Just what age is it OK to have sex with others ?

The world is strangely hung-up on sex. :unsure:

The court said "moral disapproval" of such conduct is not enough to justify the different treatment.

isnt 'moral dissaproval' what makes 'underage sex' illegal in the first place?

isnt 'moral dissaproval' what makes 'underage sex' illegal in the first place?

586709145[/snapback]

Somewhat. It's more that kids at that age don't the have maturity to consent and at that age difference, it's usually the older person that's taking advantage of the younger one.

17 years is insane for any type of non-violent 'sex crime'.  And if the 14 y.o. boy consented, it's even more senseless.

Just what age is it OK to have sex with others ?

The world is strangely hung-up on sex. :unsure:

586709099[/snapback]

It is rightly "hung-up" on sex.

Sex is between a married MAN and WOMAN ONLY. The break down of society begins when homosexuality and sexual promiscuity run rampant. This country needs to restore its moral fiber before it's too late. Activist pro-NAMBLA judges like this one should be removed from any form of power. It's high time judges are held accountible to the public.

Sex is between a married MAN and WOMAN ONLY. The break down of society begins when homosexuality and sexual promiscuity run rampant. This country needs to restore its moral fiber before it's too late. Activist pro-NAMBLA judges like this one should be removed from any form of power. It's high time judges are held accountible to the public.

Reality check: "The Public" includes homosexuals, and also those pesky people who believe in treating each other equally. Or should they be excluded from the public, in your perfect country of strong "moral" fiber?

Many people support these sorts of decisions, because they further equality. You give the public too little credit; these days, most people don't invoke bigotry in the name of morality. :rolleyes:

We should model our society after that of the starfish.

586710670[/snapback]

:yes:

586710670[/snapback]

We live in the year 2005, if you forgot.

Ahhhh... can you smell the righteous intolerance?

Equality under the law... no more, no less.

586710898[/snapback]

Yeah but we're getting used to those who ridicule our views.

Reality check: "The Public" includes homosexuals, and also those pesky people who believe in treating each other equally.  Or should they be excluded from the public, in your perfect country of strong "moral" fiber?

Many people support these sorts of decisions, because they further equality.  You give the public too little credit; these days, most people don't invoke bigotry in the name of morality.  :rolleyes:

We should model our society after that of the starfish.

586710748[/snapback]

Reality check: "The Public" also includes pedophiles, rapists, murderers, etc.... you get the picture. It wasn't long ago that homosexuality was frowned upon... now it seems like we bend over backwards to assure everyone that homosexuality is a normal, healthy and benign thing...

Reality check: "The Public" also includes pedophiles, rapists, murderers, etc.... you get the picture. It wasn't long ago that homosexuality was frowned upon... now it seems like we bend over backwards to assure everyone that homosexuality is a normal, healthy and benign thing...

586711075[/snapback]

So it's not equality unless you're a straight male/female? :laugh:

586710670[/snapback]

SHUT UP!!!!! lord have mercy you people preach morality and ethics yet bigotry is okay. What moral fiber is that? Prejudice? Bigotry? Ohhh so thats what those commercials on tv were saying that Bush was going to restore, bigotry to the white house.

NAMBLA is sickening, i will agree with u on that, but homosexuality doesn't bother me. Let gay people do whatever they want as long as its in the confines of the law. If they don't bother you, then why should you worry? people are people and we are all equal. they have or should have the same rights as your or me. So get off your ethical moral pedestal and start doing what you preach, because as i have said before, prejudice and bigotry are not moral values.

586711075[/snapback]

Homosexuality wasn't just frowned upon; homosexuals were persecuted, belittled, and sometimes killed for their orientation. And even in these times where "we bend over backwards to assure everyone that homosexuality is a normal, healthy, and benign thing," there are those that are still being persecuted, belittled, and murdered.

Who's to say what homosexuality is? Is it normal? Is it abnormal? Do we encourage it, discourage it, or let it be? It seems to be a normal feeling amongst homosexuals who did not decide, but rather naturally felt those urges. I say that we have no business to dictate to others who they should have intercourse with (Thank you, Pierre Elliot Trudeau).

I thought that the age of judicial persecution of homosexuals is over; perhaps it is over now. Perhaps if an eighteen-year old man were to have sex with a fourteen-year old girl, you right-wingers might approve, but once it is two men, or women for that matter, it becomes a dire problem for you. I do not approve of such actions whether it was heterosexual or homosexual, but neither do I approve of punishing the man who prefers other men any harsher.

The eighteen-year old had no business having sex with a teenager, regardless of sexual orientation. That's all. NAMBLA is no more wrong than a Man-Girl organization.

Sex is between a married MAN and WOMAN ONLY. The break down of society begins when homosexuality and sexual promiscuity run rampant.

586710670[/snapback]

Homosexuality and 'promiscuity' have gone on for thousands of years now.

And we still have Society. ;)

Homosexuality and promiscuity have been around as a celebrated part of many societies. Only since certain religions started to endorse certain ways of living has such things became 'immoral.'

Yeah AIDS and all the other STD's are perfectly safe.  :yes:

586712432[/snapback]

What does homosexuality have to do with AIDS? I hope you're not trying to say only gays get it...

Edit: Adding onto this...you have a choice whether or not you want to have sex with a person, you have little choice as to whether or not someone will murder you.

Edited by Diffused Mind

It's sad how religion determines almost everything moral in society, it really is. It's sad how people have to be such sheep and follow a set of rules that we don't even know to be true. Unless any of you know FACT FOR FACT that it is immoral/abnormal/etc., then the general public should just not have a problem with it.

What does homosexuality have to do with AIDS?  I hope you're not trying to say only gays get it...

586712485[/snapback]

You said homosexuality and promiscuity. So did I. Don't sling that 80's cliche at me either.