China to deploy 'Mobile' Nuclear ICBMs

Heres a real world issue:

The Pentagon's latest assessment of China's military power said its forces would deploy a new mobile nuclear missile, the DF-31, in 2005-06.

The new missile will be able to hit Australia in an arc from Brisbane to Perth.

In 2007-09, China would deploy a new intercontinental ballistic missile, the DF-31A, which has a far greater range and would be able to strike any Australian city, New Zealand and most of the US.

At present, China's strategic nuclear weapons have been based in silos.

They are liquid-fuelled, making them easier targets for satellites to pick up and strike.

But the new and mobile DF-31s are solid-fuelled, have a longer range and are much harder to detect.

The report said: "China is qualitatively and quantitatively improving its strategic missile force.

"This could provide a credible, survivable nuclear deterrent and counterstrike capability."

Hugh White, one of Australia's leading defence analysts, said China's deployment of solid-fuel missiles was a "very significant" step.

Liquid-fuel missiles took time to fuel and were detectable by satellites. But solid-fuel missiles could be hidden and moved around to avoid being destroyed.

"The US would now be concerned that China's nuclear arsenal was more survivable from attack.

"And that fear could fuel a missile build-up on both sides," Mr White said.

Full Story

Theres no reason for china to go to war. Theres enough problems within the country for the government to deal with than to worry about which Australian countries to nuke. Being Chinese, I know this.

Yey finally we?re going to have an another few decades of living under the possibility of mutual destruction but really why is this such a problem huh? America has had this kind of of strategic nuclear capability for 20 to 30 years now why is it so horribly that china has it? Guess the US government still hasten gotten over it irrational fear of others having the same things or ever better

The US is not about to launch a nuclear strike over regional disputes. China on the other hand seems to be weighing in that it can survive a nuclear strike given the relative size of the country and population. That is a scary world to live in. China just may become a nuclear bully.

China has way more than 1 bomb. And you oppose reunification? up yours.

586715021[/snapback]

Haha, yes I do. I don't want China to scare the rest of the world to legislate Taiwan out of existence. I suppose reunification is a bad word. Maybe annexation?

im more concerned about the US with its huge stockpiles rather than china.

586716017[/snapback]

Pff, since when did number of nuclear warheads determine who to be concerned with? Once you have them, that's pretty much it. All the nuclear powers have enough to end life on the planet.

The US is not about to launch a nuclear strike over regional disputes. China on the other hand seems to be weighing in that it can survive a nuclear strike given the relative size of the country and population. That is a scary world to live in. China just may become a nuclear bully.

586715254[/snapback]

China government have been undertaking 'no first use' policy from the nuclear bomb was first tested in China in 1964. And at the end of Cold War, China remains the only state that has maintained the 'no first use' policy.

The US, on the contrary, has considered for 16 times, if not more than, using nuclear bombs in regional or global conflict. Among which, 4 times is inflicted on China.

So what's your point?

China government have been undertaking 'no first use' policy from the nuclear bomb was first tested in China in 1964. And at the end of Cold War, China was the only state that has maintained the 'no first use' policy.

The US, on the contrary, has considered for 16 times, if not more than, using nuclear bombs in regional or global conflict. Among which, 4 times is inflicted on China.

So what's your point?

586716039[/snapback]

Maybe that China always lies, and is willing to stop at nothing to acquire territories under dispute? Unlike any of the Western powers, China has displayed time and time again that when it comes down to "secession" or reduction of the CCP's power, it could care less what everyone else thinks. Nobody around China trusts it. Anyone who thinks the U.S. is actually going to nuke another country is trying to cuddle him/herself into having a scapegoat for the world's problems. That no-first-use thing is just a media ploy to scare people into thinking the U.S. is nuke happy. It has more to do with miniature weapons yet to be developed, and we're pretty much in the same boat as other nuclear powers like France.

I fear the capabilities of any nuclear nation, but I am not foolish enough to believe that America is any more dangerous or provocative than any other nuclear nation.

The Taiwan situation does concern me, especially with nukes in the mix.

It was noted earlier this year that china increased its military spending by around 12% so perhaps this is where it is being spent. China they will stop at nothing to keep Taiwan. I wish they could recognise Taiwan as a country of its own but thats not going to happen. China is indeed a lovely country and a pleasure to visit. The people are very welcoming from the few months i spent there. Even some miliraty personal that i met seemed very friendly towards me but nearly all chinese agree that taiwan is theirs.

I hope for the sake of many innocent people, particularly in Taiwan, that they will never strike first with nuclear weapons. i don't trust the CCP because of the injustice they have inflicted on their own people during their rule.

There are many countries to be concerned about in this world its just a matter of when and where a major conflict happens.. not if. I just hope that news posts like this don't give rise to any racial hatred.

Maybe that China always lies, and is willing to stop at nothing to acquire territories under dispute?  Unlike any of the Western powers, China has displayed time and time again that when it comes down to "secession" or reduction of the CCP's power, it could care less what everyone else thinks.  Nobody around China trusts it.  Anyone who thinks the U.S. is actually going to nuke another country is trying to cuddle him/herself into having a scapegoat for the world's problems.  That no-first-use thing is just a media ploy to scare people into thinking the U.S. is nuke happy.  It has more to do with miniature weapons yet to be developed, and we're pretty much in the same boat as other nuclear powers like France.

586716058[/snapback]

That is not true. in fact just last year china gave up disputed territory to Russia.

I fear the capabilities of any nuclear nation, but I am not foolish enough to believe that America is any more dangerous or provocative than any other nuclear nation.

The Taiwan situation does concern me, especially with nukes in the mix.

586716259[/snapback]

China will not use any force on Taiwan unless Taiwan unilaterally declares independence. and even if worst comes to worst, nuclear weapons will still be out of the question.

That is not true. in fact just last year china gave up disputed territory to Russia.

586717269[/snapback]

Tell that to the people in Tibet and Taiwan. Both are disputed. Tibet I don't know enough about to talk with authority, but Taiwan shouldn't even be up for discussion.

China will not use any force on Taiwan unless Taiwan unilaterally declares independence. and even if worst comes to worst, nuclear weapons will still be out of the question.

Hmm, so big country tells little country it cannot exist because big brother wants annex it. That kind of thing just makes me think that Taiwan should declare independence sooner rather than later. Do it while it still has the capability to fight China and still has sympathy from the West, so if China gets the nerve to annex a country under the guise of ownership, it will fail.

Historically Taiwan was never an independent country. By the end of the Chinese civil war the KMT was defeated. It then fled to Taiwan and seized control of the province, establishing a rogue state. China has merely left it alone for the past 60 years, but that does not make it an independent legal state. As a matter of fact its not even represented on the UN and most nations on the planet denies its existence.

And if anyone believes that Taiwan has the ability to fight the CCP, or ever will have that ability, for that matter, is mistaken. The few american anti-missile systems installed in Taiwan is inadequate to counter the hundreds (if not more) of missiles aimed at Taiwan by the Second Artillery Corp. Even if by some miracle, all the Chinese missiles are stopped, there is still the Navy and the massive land forces to deal with. The only two countries that might have the ability to reinforce Taiwan is the US and Japan. It is extremely unlikely that the US will want to go to war with a major nuclear power with which it has invested billions of dollars in.

That leaves Japan, but hey, what can the nips do?

Historically Taiwan was never an independent country. By the end of the Chinese civil war the KMT was defeated. It then fled to Taiwan and seized control of the province, establishing a rogue state. China has merely left it alone for the past 60 years, but that does not make it an independent legal state. As a matter of fact its not even represented on the UN and most nations on the planet denies its existence.

And if anyone believes that Taiwan has the ability to fight the CCP, or ever will have that ability, for that matter, is mistaken. The few american anti-missile systems installed in Taiwan is inadequate to counter the hundreds (if not more) of missiles aimed at Taiwan by the Second Artillery Corp. Even if by some miracle, all the Chinese missiles are stopped, there is still the Navy and the massive land forces to deal with. The only two countries that might have the ability to reinforce Taiwan is the US and Japan. It is extremely unlikely that the US will want to go to war with a major nuclear power with which it has invested billions of dollars in.

586717405[/snapback]

That explains why US and Japan declared Taiwan as a common defence interest last year :rolleyes:

^ Thats another thing. The Japanese army is for self defense ONLY. It will be breaking international law by using it for any other reasons. When the Japanese sent troops to Iraq, I believe there was quite a bit of debate internally and internationally about it...

^ Thats another thing. The Japanese army is for self defense ONLY. It will be breaking international law by using it for any other reasons. When the Japanese sent troops to Iraq, I believe there was quite a bit of debate internally and internationally about it...

586717465[/snapback]

The Japanese government are moving their military away from the defence only doctrine. BTW its not an international law and the only yapping internationally was from China.

That's downright wrong. After the Chinese Civil War, the KMT retreated to Taiwan. the KMT was the "incumbent" government, meaning you can view this two ways. A) Taiwan is part of China and the government of it thus has claim over all of the mainland as the mainland is in rebellion or B) They are sperate governments that essentially have a ceasefire and since they are administrated by governments entirely independent of each other, they are thus mutually independent. If you are going to use UN representation as an arguing point, all the more, because the ROC was recognized, it was just later rescinded due to cowardice in the face of the CCP. Thats still the only reason for lack of recognition. Its purely political. Most people here regard it as a seperate independent nation, and call it Taiwan (as a nation).

Sure you can shell the island, but what does that mean? If you think China can just shell Taiwan over the Taiwan straight and get it to surrender, you are woefully mistaken. The Navy and Air Forces are what matter, and although the Chinese Navy and Air Force may be bigger, Taiwan's is still technically superior enough to put up a very good fight, and possibly be able to keep the battle out in airspace and at sea (effectively preventing a landing). Let's not forget, although the U.S. hasn't said anything outright for political reasons, we're still ready to back Taiwan. You underestimate American resolve if you think that private investments will prevent us from taking action in light of such a radical response. Look at Bush, you think he cares about losing money in light of what he thinks "is right"? You really don't understand that countries like the U.S. and Japan, when it is of vital importance, have the capital to rapidly mobolize and expand their military. The annexation of Taiwan by China is probably just what Japan needs as an excuse to boost military spending and size. Japan is a nuclear capable nation, meaning if need be, it has the capability of developing nuclear weapons within a year's time or so. Countries like Japan and Germany are all capable of nuclear capacity in times of war, and can develop it fast enough that they are essentially nuclear powers. The last thing you fail to recognize is that defending an island is extremely advantageous because not only is Taiwan's coast heavily developed (urban warfare), but Chinese forces would have to land. So what is China going to do if it doesn't go well, nuke Taiwan? You said so yourself, that doesn't seem very likely.

Why is it that other superpower other than US are always considered bad?

More like why is he US the only superpower that is always considered bad.