China to deploy 'Mobile' Nuclear ICBMs

You are obviously a US supporter to say that but you know US was once a developing country. just like the US, China also needs to catch up in its military field

lol but isnt it inevitable that Taiwan will go back to China? Its just a matter of when isnt it? With all the natural disasters alone, its causing soo much havoc within countries around the world including the US. Would they bother having war if they can trade and earn much more money rather than fighting? Also isn't China not butting in with any other countries' issues eg the Iraq war because they want the world to see that China is leaving them alone so when China is going to take back Taiwan it hopes that the world will leave China alone?

Then there's also the special administration in Hong Kong how it has 50 years where Hong Kong is self governed ever since the British returned it to China. It's so that China can claim back Taiwan. That's why China takes care of Hong Kong soo much and dares not make much movement inflicting with the rest of the world so that it can take back Taiwan? Like Taiwan is too small and numbers are too few they cannot possibly win a war without someone's help eg US but even if so China's last form of attack would be a nuclear one on Taiwan. Its like you want a country back but you blow it all up before u march your troops in.

Personally I think Taiwan is going to go back to China, just a matter of when and how peacefully.

First of all, no one "shells" an island with missiles. I dont know the details of the battle plan on either side. But it is safe to say that the missiles are there to destroy key positons such as the Presidential Palace in Taipei, the parliament buildings, airfields, and any coastal defences.

2nd, I stress again that China will not use force unless Taiwan declares independence.

The ruling pro-seperatist party in Taiwan is loosing support, and has been since they came to power in 2000. So much so that in the 2004 elections, they had to use the assasination trick to gain sympathy votes. (I'm not going to argue with anyone here about whether thats fabricated or real, you must be aware of the many inconsistencies that arose with the matter.) When it was announced that the Minjintang won the election, there were mass riots in Taiwan. As of this point the KMT and the Minjintang are neck-in-neck in terms of public support. And with recent improvements in relations over the Strait, such as the opening of the direct flights, and the visits to China by the pretty much all of the opposition leaders, it seems unlikely that there ever will be a battle for the island.

I also have a question. How many terms can one party rule in Taiwan before they are forced to step down?

First of all, no one "shells" an island with missiles. I dont know the details of the battle plan on either side. But it is safe to say that the missiles are there to destroy key positons such as the Presidential Palace in Taipei, the parliament buildings, airfields, and any coastal defences.

2nd, I stress again that China will not use force unless Taiwan declares independence.

The ruling pro-seperatist party in Taiwan is loosing support, and has been since they came to power in 2000. So much so that in the 2004 elections, they had to use the assasination trick to gain sympathy votes. (I'm not going to argue with anyone here about whether thats fabricated or real, you must be aware of the many inconsistencies that arose with the matter.) When it was announced that the Minjintang won the election, there were mass riots in Taiwan. As of this point the KMT and the Minjintang are neck-in-neck in terms of public support. And with recent improvements in relations over the Strait, such as the opening of the direct flights, and the visits to China by the pretty much all of the opposition leaders, it seems unlikely that there ever will be a battle for the island.

I also have a question. How many terms can one party rule in Taiwan before they are forced to step down?

Shelling is used rather losely as a term for attacking someone with artillery. As you said, the Second Artillery Corps. Missile launchers are artillery.

China doesn't have the right to use force if Taiwan declares independence. Well it does because sovereign nations get to decide on their own if they want to invade another one, but it certainly won't be "quelling a rebellion."

The separatists are gaining power. Its quite easy to see that. The % of people who support declaration of independence has been ever increasing. The proportion of people who wish to preserve the status quo wish is the majority, in which sense Chinese saber rattling is working because it is still keeping down many of them. The proportion of those who support reunification in taiwan is something like 10% or smaller. The Pan-Green alliance has been making plenty of inroads against the Pan-Blue coalition. The mass demonstrations have more to do with corruption than the issue of independence. The campaign was rather moderate because everyone else had already decided who they would vote for. Even the Taiwanese in Boston demonstrated in the streets. It wasn't because support for reunification was waning.

As far as I know, any ruling party can theoretically rule indefinately, like most other democracies. Theoretically, a party could keep winning and stay in power, although that rarely happens anywhere.

Pff, since when did number of nuclear warheads determine who to be concerned with?  Once you have them, that's pretty much it.  All the nuclear powers have enough to end life on the planet.

586716036[/snapback]

i dont quite get what you mean, the article seemed to point that china having mobile deployment as a bad thing, compared to the US which already has it and perhaps an even more sophisticated aproach. All nuclear states do have enough bombs to end life but its only the US that has attacked with it

Wow. I can't believe we have a supporter of evil, dictatorial China.

Taiwan is pretty much independant already. The only thing they need is formal independance. It would be downright immoral (and unsurprising) if China attacked them in that situation.

One thing that China has never been in favour of, besides freedom of religion and speech, is the right to self-determination, which apparently it supports by being a member of the United Nations, and a permanent member of the Security Council, no less. I mean, they should be one of the most ardent supporters of the UN Charter, given their prominence in the UN, right?

It tells me that internation laws need to be enforced, not that there's anything inherently wrong with them.

586720743[/snapback]

Only a slight problem. Who would enforce them?

There are a few potential options for this, either keep the same system of volunteering resources, or have a separate UN police force and military for such actions, with no loyalties other than to the UN. Problems enforcing international law doesn't invalidate their merit, though.

It's like saying that we shouldn't bother keeping murder illegal because 2/3 of murder cases go unsolved.

I never said international was worthless. I said it was going to be a pain enforcing them. Well, I didn't really say that word for word, but that's what I meant.

The laws are all fine and dandy but when a superpower (or any big country for that matter) decides to break them, there isn't much you can do. For the UN to have the ability to enforce international law, it would probably need the 2nd largest standing army in the world with naval fleets in every ocean and bases in every region.

586718846[/snapback]

China has "shelled" taiwanese island twice in the last 50 years. They have staged massive military exercise to coincide with elections. I wouldn't buy into their propganda that easily.

They dont Chin and Australia get along great, their growing market is absorbing alot of our exports, and next year their going to be buying our Uranium for a pretty penny. The main point I would take from the article would be that Chinas Nuclear capabilities are being expanded, and the impact this will have on international relations.

I mean I think most Aussies or ppl would really asssume China coulda hit Australia with its missiles by now anyway, this just confirmed it, but more importantly again, that China's missiles can now hit most US Cities, something previously not possible.

That explains why US and Japan declared Taiwan as a common defence interest last year  :rolleyes:

586717427[/snapback]

To the US and Japan, Taiwan is a dispensible pawn. Don't tell me you've believed all along that they actually care about the Taiwanese people.

Anyway, this is a bad move on China's side. It's not the greatest way to earn the trust of countries that are still wary of the rapid Chinese expansion.

To the US and Japan, Taiwan is a dispensible pawn. Don't tell me you've believed all along that they actually care about the Taiwanese people.

Anyway, this is a bad move on China's side. It's not the greatest way to earn the trust of countries that are still wary of the rapid Chinese expansion.

586729679[/snapback]

don't tell me you actually believe that China actually care about the taiwanese people either