iPod 30GB Video Review

Got home today and was feeling pretty good because I got paid and was able to pickup my E90s which I had been waiting on for almost 3 weeks. Anyway soon as I got home I saw I had a fedex package from ACI I am like :hmmm: who is ACI I? Open it up and the angels started singing, it was my ipod video :D :D :D :D :D So here is short review I wrote when I was waiting for all my songs to load which took quite a while......

img0063yp0.jpg

img0065dv9.jpg

img0066rv5.jpg

img0072xw1.jpg

First off I want to say I love the Black, it is great so much better than the white IMO, I know people have complained about how the black shows scratches but I would rather take the sexiness of the black over the ability to possible hide some scratches and since I am going to be getting a skin as soon as someone comes out with one I know I will not be having too many scratches.

img0076ji0.jpg

It does come with this little pouch thing, it reminds me of a moccasin, and it fits the ipod like a glove, it should do the job until someone releases a skin.

img0080dy6.jpg

It is much thinner than a 3rd gen

I started it up changed my settings to where I like them, and plugged it into my computer. Moving my songs over took longer than I thought it would granted I have a lot of songs 3000+ but I also think it might be the USB connection, even though firewire 400 and USB2 are about the same firewire with it's higher sustained rate is better for huge file systems or thats always been my thought. Anyway after moving my music and some videos and I plugged it into my TV to see just how well I could play the video.

img0088ua1.jpg

Overall it was pretty good, I only had trailers sitting around that were in the right format but if you have quicktime pro or iMovie HD or final cut, you can convert pretty much any video but it might take some time for a full movie.

One bad thing I found out right off and I was hopping would not be the case is this is a totally redesigned ipod and as such almost all past generation accessories will not work, itrip, italk, iremote, all do not work because they need the two plugs on the top where this new ipod only has one on the right side.

img0087ce0.jpg

img0085ff8.jpg

Something that does work is my wall charger, even though it is firewire with a plug it still charges which is nice. Oh yeah the Belkin Tunecast II FM transmitter works because it only has one plug.

img0083wh4.jpg

Ok thats about the end of my review :p going to go play with it some and see just how close Apple's battery life estimate is.

EDIT on Battery life

For music I got about 12.4 hours with the volume at 75% maybe a little higher, I bet I could get more if I lowered the volume but I was on a plane and stuff so I had to keep it up that high. I will be testing it in everyday conditions with the volume around 50%....For video it lasted 140 minutes which is about 2.2 hours the volume was as high as it could get because I was on a plane. I tried it for about 5 of those minutes in just a regular room with people and I only had to have the volume at 45% :happy: Pretty sure if you kept it at that you might be able to get 3 hours.

EDIT #2

I finally got a skin that I like (Y) screen protector as well. Thought I would post some pics, everything still is running great :D

img0448td6.jpg

Edited by Toastyone

Congrats. (Y) I just got mine about 4 days ago. Much to my surprise I was able to just go to my nearest Apple store and buy it on the spot. I got the same exact one you did. All I can say is I just absolutely love watching episodes of the Family Guy while I pretend to work (luckily we can wear iPods while working so no one even questions it... yet). I really did not even think I was going to use it for the video. Completely Kick Ass.

Nice Review!!!, thank you

Its prolly too early to tell, but can you comment anything in the battery life, do you actually get the 14 Hours they advertise?

586721076[/snapback]

Not sure yet so far it has only gone down a little bit and I have watched some video and listened to music for about 3 hours. I am going on a trip later this week so I am going to time it and see just how much I can get. I will post what it turns out to be. lol but anything will be better than my 3rd Gens 8 hrs :p As for scratches SojIrOu I have none so far it seems to be holding up pretty well but then again I have kept it in that little case almost the whole time.

I received the same one today, a 30GB black! I also got my InvisibleShield in today as well, and immediately applied it. Let me tell you, as somone who has always had a silicone case on his iPods, it is great to be able to carry around and use a "naked" iPod without worrying about it getting scratched (because yes, just like the Nano, the black 5G will easily scratch). I echo many of the sentiments of the original reviewer here. I'm currently playing around with converting videos to find the best format. I have successfully discovered how to convert videos to widescreen for the 5G using Videora!

The 5G's screen is huge and gorgeous, everyone who has seen it today is amazed. Video is smooth as silk. So thin, pretty good battery life...great device!

nice review.  does anyone know if the 60gb is larger in size/thickness than the 30gb ?  i want  to go for the 60gb-but hoping its the same slim size as the 30gb model :)

586721691[/snapback]

It will be thicker, but still thinner than 4G's 20GB.

dL

I received the same one today, a 30GB black! I also got my InvisibleShield in today as well, and immediately applied it. Let me tell you, as somone who has always had a silicone case on his iPods, it is great to be able to carry around and use a "naked" iPod without worrying about it getting scratched

586721522[/snapback]

Oh nice I am going to have to look into this InvisibleShield, what is it made out of exactly?

Very Nice Review. :yes:

I want One of these or a Nano but I have a Engraved 20GB 4th Gen At the Moment which i got Last Xmas so i really Can't do anything to it.

I received the same one today, a 30GB black! I also got my InvisibleShield in today as well, and immediately applied it. Let me tell you, as somone who has always had a silicone case on his iPods, it is great to be able to carry around and use a "naked" iPod without worrying about it getting scratched (because yes, just like the Nano, the black 5G will easily scratch). I echo many of the sentiments of the original reviewer here. I'm currently playing around with converting videos to find the best format. I have successfully discovered how to convert videos to widescreen for the 5G using Videora!

The 5G's screen is huge and gorgeous, everyone who has seen it today is amazed. Video is smooth as silk. So thin, pretty good battery life...great device!

586721522[/snapback]

Can you tell where did you got the InvisibleShield?