Adblockers

From now on, people who tell others how to block ads here will be warned and moved into a flood control group with a minute wait. This includes members who gloat about blocking ads.

Profile and Sig options will also be removed (seeing as we have to pay for all that extra bandwidth on sigs).

Dont disrespect me guys because I'm fed up with it. Mods will be told about this new policy forthwith.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that this revenue keeps us online.

If I'm not going to click an ad, then it should be my prerogative to remove it, regardless of the means. You can't stop me and you can't stop others from spreading the word since most people share this common interest. I would gladly donate to help support Neowin, but not after seeing your draconian bigotry. You can't stop a movement and you shouldn't penalize us for it.

I'm pretty sure that the $13 I paid is much more than the actual revenue that would have been created by me clicking the ads. So therefore, I will continue to block the ads that slow my experience here at Neowin.

Um... your name isn't orange. Shouldn't it be if you paid a subscription fee?

If I'm not going to click an ad, then it should be my prerogative to remove it, regardless of the means. You can't stop me and you can't stop others from spreading the word since most people share this common interest. I would gladly donate to help support Neowin, but not after seeing your draconian bigotry. You can't stop a movement and you shouldn't penalize us for it.

1. Our common interest is to keep this site running.

2. Mods/Admins can stop anyone they want who interferes with #1.

3. There was no need to resurrect this thread.

Um... your name isn't orange. Shouldn't it be if you paid a subscription fee?

You are referring to a post from 2005! His subscription expired in 2006 :rolleyes:

There was really no need to comment about it or dig this thread plus people who are members here know the rules regarding blockers.

You are correct that it is your prerogative to remove the ads, nor can we really stop people from doing it. Additionally, you are correct that we can't stop others from spreading the word about how to do it. However, it is our prerogative to prevent Neowin from being a tool in spreading the word about ad-blocking technologies and methods. If you want to block ads, more power to you, just keep it to yourself. If you feel that you must spread the word, then do so elsewhere. We respect your right to block ads (though we wish you wouldn't), so I would hope that you would respect our right to restrict discussion of the topic. We survive on ad revenue. To allow discussion on how to block ads would do nothing more than deprive us of the very funds we require to offer this site to our members, free of charge.

Thanks a lot for blocking our overly annoying ads.

Oh and thanks for almost donating (I guess we had that coming).

Do you know what bigotry means? I think not.

I know what the opposite of bigotry means.

Thanks a lot for blocking our overly annoying ads.

No problem. Whether they're overly annoying or not, I could care less. It's a distraction and I don't need them. Neowin won't generate any revenue from my clicks unless I accidentally click on one of their ads while I'm trying to touch scroll on my laptop. Which in any case, I promptly hit the back arrow. There's a 1 in 100 chance that accidental click is going to burn an image of some product into my retina, so lets not get all teary eyed over some blocked ads. Just like most things in modern society, ads are deceptive and nobody likes them. The only difference is we have to be spoon fed ads every 5 minutes. Everybody wants a piece of the pie and I'm just the mouse that stole a crumb.

Oh and thanks for almost donating (I guess we had that coming).

At first, no. Neowin did not have that coming.

I know what the opposite of bigotry means.

No problem. Whether they're overly annoying or not, I could care less. It's a distraction and I don't need them. Neowin won't generate any revenue from my clicks unless I accidentally click on one of their ads while I'm trying to touch scroll on my laptop. Which in any case, I promptly hit the back arrow. There's a 1 in 100 chance that accidental click is going to burn an image of some product into my retina, so lets not get all teary eyed over some blocked ads. Just like most things in modern society, ads are deceptive and nobody likes them. The only difference is we have to be spoon fed ads every 5 minutes. Everybody wants a piece of the pie and I'm just the mouse that stole a crumb.

At first, no. Neowin did not have that coming.

Do you know how retarded you sound? Actually, the ad publishers pay us for simply displaying the ad, we get extra if you actually click on it.

Secondly, it's people like you that hold us back, by blocking the ads we are able to do less than we would if you didn't block them (that goes for a whole group of people who feel the same way, not just you).

Lastly, the whole donation thing. It doesn't bother me that you feel that this site deserves nothing for your browsing pleasure. We have after all been able to keep you active for at least the past 2 years -what bothers me is you gloating about how you shouldn't have to tarnish your browser with ads. That's true but do you then expect me to pay for your presence?

Or are you relying on the other good people who aren't bothered by the ads (that are all worked into the design) if so that is hypocrisy, because for one you rely on your fellow members to ensure this site stays online, and me for not taking action against people like you.

Mind you, I didn't take your age into account either.

Do you know how retarded you sound? Actually, the ad publishers pay us for simply displaying the ad, we get extra if you actually click on it.

Good! You get paid whether or not anyone at all sees your ads. Refresh my memory, why are you threatening to penalize us for doing something that only fluctuates your stream of revenue? Is it because you're greedy? Think hard before you answer that. You've basically set yourself up.

Secondly, it's people like you that hold us back, by blocking the ads we are able to do less than we would if you didn't block them (that goes for a whole group of people who feel the same way, not just you).

How? People like me DON'T click ads. Maybe you should be penalizing people that don't click ads. It's not like I'm climbing a billboard tower to vandalize. This is the internet. Hey everyone, make sure you click their ads! If you don't, you might be in big trouble!

Lastly, the whole donation thing. It doesn't bother me that you feel that this site deserves nothing for your browsing pleasure. We have after all been able to keep you active for at least the past 2 years -what bothers me is you gloating about how you shouldn't have to tarnish your browser with ads. That's true but do you then expect me to pay for your presence?

Actually, I should have clarified. Your site could use the extra pennies. I just won't donate to websites being ran by a monkeys like yourself. Your ill fated response to mine does more harm than actually penalizing us for breaking a rule that goes against some moral code. I bet you'd have more luck burying this thread. Concede defeat, now.

Or are you relying on the other good people who aren't bothered by the ads (that are all worked into the design) if so that is hypocrisy, because for one you rely on your fellow members to ensure this site stays online, and me for not taking action against people like you.

I do rely, but not in the way you think. You see, if this website shuts down tomorrow, that's your problem, not mine. Maybe some of the fanboys will be upset, but that's them.

Mind you, I didn't take your age into account either.

I'm 20.

Seriously, if you don't want to use the Neowin service provided "as is" then don't use it!

Banners never bothered me, as long as they are well integrated, and also well targetted. That thing of popup banners, or even worse "page intercepts" were annoying, but Neowin has never gone there (as I know).

The links within content that created a dialog box with an advert used to peev me a little, but at the end of the day - if they support Neowin, then hey, it doesn't bother me enough to care. For some reason I'm not seeing them now, however.

But look - if you don't like it, move on. That doesn't give you the right to change how you use the service. Advert funding has been a major model of the Internet since it's consumer use started. If it were not for this model, a lot of services that you take for granted would not exist.

Obviously, you, as the consumer, have every right to not opt-in to this model. You have every right to not see those banners, but by choosing this, you chose to opt out of the model, and as such, opt-out of all services that use that model.

Neobond: Could the above somehow be worded into the sign-up? I mean, it's a term and condition of using the site?

Edited by njlouch

It's not up to me how people view Neowin on their browsers, because short of installing scripts that detect adblockers (they exist) we'll always have to put up with it. I ask simply that people don't gloat about it, show some respect. This is a privately run website, not a state run service.

I don't consider people who block ads thieves! I just find it totally disrespectful that they gloat about it and then come on here spouting off as if I owe them.

Neowin is in every sense of the word a 2 way street, the visitors ensure we can stay online by visiting and letting the ads display (ad blockers are detected by our publishers and we DON'T get paid for blocked ads) and it's our duty to invest the revenue back into the site as we've been doing for the past 3 or 4 years, which has in turn offered stability far beyond anything we had before 2005.

It's the most basic economics and people who reckon we'll do OK without the ads are living in a dreamworld.

the visitors ensure we can stay online by visiting and letting the ads display (ad blockers are detected by our publishers and we DON'T get paid for blocked ads) and it's our duty to invest the revenue back into the site as we've been doing for the past 3 or 4 years, which has in turn offered stability far beyond anything we had before 2005.

Perhaps a revision to your initial post with the above information would have had a less harsh outcry on my behalf.

It seems as though the few who responded to my claims do not fully understand my intentions. I argued that ad blocking in general should not be something you can be penalized for, nor should you be penalized for helping to spread the word about it.

I haven't seen an ad on Neowin for a long time and I have to say to those of you who think they are unobtrusive, you're wrong. The little green links throughout the thread... those are damn annoying. The others are not so bad. Is this what I came here to talk about? Absolutely not and that does not add weight to any of my arguments so, please, disregard.

Bond, I think for your sake you should be a little bit more modest with your words. I may be overly critical, but if I were in your shoes, I would not stoop so low as to call people retarded.

There are ads that are intrusive on this site?

Really?

Honestly?

Come on now people, don't be silly. Just click an ad and support your favorite site.

Even I, who run ad blocking material and things, occasionally turn them off to support Neowin.

I edited the first post, the little green links are only active on the main news site, not on the forums (but they are for guests).

Bond, I think for your sake you should be a little bit more modest with your words. I may be overly critical, but if I were in your shoes, I would not stoop so low as to call people retarded.

He is as human as anyone else. If i was to call you ugly and smelly, would you not retaliate by calling me a name back?

You have admitted doing something that could damage Steve's site, or at least stop some of the revenue coming in to keep the site running, which means that you have for the most part, insulted him. I think he has every right to be upset and call you names.

I would have just banned your ignorant ass, so be grateful he's still even allowing you to post. You obviously know nothing about running a high traffic website. It's obvious in your posts. So just stop your bitching already.

Good! You get paid whether or not anyone at all sees your ads. Refresh my memory, why are you threatening to penalize us for doing something that only fluctuates your stream of revenue? Is it because you're greedy? Think hard before you answer that. You've basically set yourself up.

Ignorance is bliss. Even my technologically challenged parents know that if the ad is BLOCKED then Neowin doesn't get the revenue from it. How is it that he is greedy? Because HE has to pay for a site that has managed to occupy YOUR time?

What do you expect Neowin to be paying for the cost of your internet as well for your browsing pleasure?

lol. i just realised that there was actually adverts on this site. cos i only look from the tabs onwards to the blue bar at the bottom. haha

I don't block the ads for 2 reasons:

1: I don't like having silly extra programs running

2: I use firefox, the ads on here are quite small and non obtrusive, for registered members the threads are ad free

one thing I'd like to see is a higher subscriber tier perhaps to remove ads completely, I think this has been debated but cannot remember the outcome unfortunately.

Niellithan: do you have any idea how much bandwidth costs? Neobond and Redmak front the costs and the ads help to pay for it. Most websites are charged per mb transferred, and a site such as this can rack up a few gb's daily.

edit: forgot to mention, the ads are A OK for me!