Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steven P.

Adblockers

486 posts in this topic

And the thing is, revenue from advertising is on the decline to boot.

People are idiots.

By the way, can you guys not detect adblockers?

AVForums can - Now they don't stop you surfing, but where advertisements should be the frames still appear and inside a respectable message explaining why they need adverts to keep the site up. Sort of an explanation to try and stop you blocking.

I really don't understand the whole issue with adverts on a site.

Read around them, it's not hard. I have no issue with the adverts on Neowin, I've never found them obtrusive and as Neobond said, most sensible people can spot the 'dodgy' adverts anyway. What's the harm in having them show to people?

People seem to forget that sites need some income to keep going, without those adverts and the subscriptions there would be no site to read (and moan about the adverts) so you have a choice, have the site with adverts (no biggy) or risk not having the site at all.

Meh, it's here to stay. Live with it and if you MUST use an adblocker; you don't need to tell the whole world.

I think the thread should have merely been an announcement and then closed. No need for 32 pages of explanation beyond that.

Advertising I can handle, but what are these huge box ads on the main page now?

Advertising I can handle, but what are these huge box ads on the main page now?

They have been there since the launch of Finity, aka the new layout of the web site.

P.S. there is only 1 square ad. 3 ads all together.

Is it me or are there hover over word ads also? :s (I want to know if my comp is infected with something).

Is it me or are there hover over word ads also? :s (I want to know if my comp is infected with something).

Yes, there are those on front page articles.

I was sort of proud of myself. I actually clicked an ad the other day. From a former adblocker, I think it is a big step.

Question, as a subscriber why can't I have a ad-less site? A few other sites I donate to give me that.