Adblockers

Ok, so I'm using adblock plus with filterset.g, what exactly do I whitelist to allow neowin's ads? I tried @@neowin.net and @@ads.neowin.net and neither worked

586724161[/snapback]

I did a little looking into this and if you use the NoScript extension you have to allow googlesyndication.com (this one is allowed by default in NoScript) for the ads to work right here. Also neowin uses adknowledge.com and burstnet.com so you have to allow them too. I hope it's ok to post this as my intent is to help him ALLOW ads not block them. I was having a heck of a time figuring out why these ads where blocked even when I uninstalled adblock plus. Hope this helps others support the site.

Actually, that is possible. In fact, it's not very hard at all. All you have to do is see who requests pages on the normal server, but no pages on ads.neowin.net. That could be done with a script. Then just insta-ban those that block or something.

I better shut up now :whistle:

586723700[/snapback]

Way to ban people for browsing on a terminal not under their control. (Work, internet cafe etc.)

Ok, so I'm using adblock plus with filterset.g, what exactly do I whitelist to allow neowin's ads? I tried @@neowin.net and @@ads.neowin.net and neither worked

586724161[/snapback]

Adblock Options >> Site Blocking/Whitelisting

Add these:

@@*.neowin.net/*

@@www.burstnet.com/cgi-bin/ads/*

@@pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/*

If you use the Adblock Filterset.G Updater, you'll need to add the above entries to the user-defined filters under it's options, otherwise when it updates it will overwrite what you added. Also for them to take effect before the next update, add them as custom filters in the Adblock Options as well.

Adblock Options >> Site Blocking/Whitelisting

Add these:

@@*.neowin.net/*

@@www.burstnet.com/cgi-bin/ads/*

@@pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/*

If you use the Adblock Filterset.G Updater, you'll need to add the above entries to the user-defined filters under it's options, otherwise when it updates it will overwrite what you added. Also for them to take effect before the next update, add them as custom filters in the Adblock Options as well.

586724649[/snapback]

I have adblock plus installed again I have @@neowin.net only and then I have burstnet.com and googlesyndication.com and adknowledge.com allowed in NoScript, won't work unless you do, if you have noscript installed. But I don't have them in the adblock plus. As that would allow them on all sites.

Way to ban people for browsing on a terminal not under their control. (Work, internet cafe etc.)

586724585[/snapback]

Care to tell me who I banned? How about providing me with some proof that a coder even read my post? As far as I'm aware, I just told Armeck how it would be possible.

I was having a heck of a time figuring out why these ads where blocked even when I uninstalled adblock plus.

586724583[/snapback]

Because the filters are still in your prefs.js in your profile folder. I don't know why they remain active, either.

Because the filters are still in your prefs.js in your profile folder. I don't know why they remain active, either.

586724757[/snapback]

That may be true, but noscript was what was blocking them. I can right now disallow them in NoScript and the ads disappear again.

My take on ads on the internet and blocking of said ads is this. It's no different than "blocking" commercials on TV using a Tivo. I pay for my internet service, I pay for everything else that gets me connected to Neowin, I just paid for a subscription to Neowin. You say it's for an e-mail address, but as far as I'm concerned, you can keep it, I don't need another one. You say Neobond "owns Neowin" and thus can do what he wants. I say according to the domain registration information, Neowin is owned by Neowin LLC. An LLC is a partnership of managers and members, I know, I am the member/manager of my own LLC.

Listen, I'm not trying to add fuel to the fire. I understand that Neowin requires revenue to survive and that ads are a great way for a site to generate revenue. But hopping on the forums and threatening the members would be like the head of CBS, ABC or NBC jumping on the air in the middle of the evening news and threatening to cut off your right to view their station on the cable service that you paid for if you didn't quit Tivo'ing out his advertisers commercials. There has to be a compromise or other alternatives, other solutions. Threatening to punish me for banning ads isn't the way, regardless of how unobtrusive they are.

Listen, I'm not trying to add fuel to the fire. I understand that Neowin requires revenue to survive and that ads are a great way for a site to generate revenue. But hopping on the forums and threatening the members would be like the head of CBS, ABC or NBC jumping on the air in the middle of the evening news and threatening to cut off your right to view their station on the cable service that you paid for if you didn't quit Tivo'ing out his advertisers commercials. There has to be a compromise or other alternatives, other solutions. Threatening to punish me for banning ads isn't the way, regardless of how unobtrusive they are.

586724906[/snapback]

i believe that you don't have to pay to view nbc, cbs, abc, fox, etc. those are local channels broadcast over the air. they are free to view because they are supported by ads. all you need a is a TV and an antenna and there you go. neowin is like abc or nbc and you are the guy getting it for free... all they ask is that the ads be displayed for this service to be available to you for free.

i believe that you don't have to pay to view nbc, cbs, abc, fox, etc. those are local channels broadcast over the air. they are free to view because they are supported by ads. all you need a is a TV and an antenna and there you go. neowin is like abc or nbc and you are the guy getting it for free... all they ask is that the ads be displayed for this service to be available to you for free.

586724938[/snapback]

Sort of correct. NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, etc. aren't "local" stations. They are broadcasting companies with local affiliate stations scattered around the country/world (like WBTV is the CBS affiliate in Charlotte, NC, WSOC is the ABC affiliate, etc.). You are correct however, in that they are free to view, and they are broadcast over the air waves. They are also redistributed by local cable television providers. Regardless, my point is still the same. Neobond coming on the forums and making threats against those who block the ads here, or discuss blocking the ads here, would be comparable to the president of one of the network TV companies jumping on the air and threatening to block everyone who uses a Tivo to skip his networks commercials or tells someone else how to do it.

@shanepitman: Let me reiterate just for you.

Neobond said this rule applies to those who SPEAK about blocking Neowin's ad. If you have to block the ad due to some kind of desperate personal issue that makes you vomit every time you see ads, then block it and shut up.

You may have a million reasons to block ads. Good for you! Telling others about (or "gloating", as Neobond puts it) blocking ads, on the other hand, is absolutely unnecessary.

Sort of correct. NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, etc. aren't "local" stations. They are broadcasting companies with local affiliate stations scattered around the country/world (like WBTV is the CBS affiliate in Charlotte, NC, WSOC is the ABC affiliate, etc.). You are correct however, in that they are free to view, and they are broadcast over the air waves. They are also redistributed by local cable television providers. Regardless, my point is still the same. Neobond coming on the forums and making threats against those who block the ads here, or discuss blocking the ads here, would be comparable to the president of one of the network TV companies jumping on the air and threatening to block everyone who uses a Tivo to skip his networks commercials.

586724973[/snapback]

sorry i didnt make my self clear in the other post, but yes by local i meant over the air :)

also about the threatening:

Neowin is a tech community and so our demographics are mostly made up of technology aware users. more users on this site are aware of alt browsers then on a non tech forum. the problem with that is that more people are likely to block ads on this forum that on a non tech forum which cuts into our revenue. well i blanked out there and lost whatever point i was going to make. lol :p

Yes...and when ads.neowin.net goes down or doesn't respond in time, a large percentage of members get insta-banned for no reason.

Brain cells are fun things to use, sometime.

586726004[/snapback]

But it could be a week thing. it collects the data from people who never contacted the ads.neowin.net through the week if they contacted it even once then they cannot be using adblock and wont be insta-banned.

Actually, that is possible. In fact, it's not very hard at all. All you have to do is see who requests pages on the normal server, but no pages on ads.neowin.net. That could be done with a script. Then just insta-ban those that block or something.

586723700[/snapback]

Yes...and when ads.neowin.net goes down or doesn't respond in time, a large percentage of members get insta-banned for no reason.

I do believe what I do on my piece of hardware is my choice.

586724359[/snapback]

Thanks, then its my choice what I do with *certain members* here on MY hardware (neowin.net).

i think we should make a guide for those people who still want to use adblock/noscript but yet wanna see ads on neowin to click & view them.

i think we should make a guide for those people who still want to use adblock/noscript but yet wanna see ads on neowin to click & view them.

586726055[/snapback]

I think that's a good idea!

good point neobond. i mainly block ads because a) they annoy me on most websites and b) i am stuck on dialup for 1euro/hour and ads just decrease my browsing fun.

i always supported neowin in "some" way :laugh: even by clicking ads. i think people understand your point, just the method how you introduced it was a bit harsh. but on the other side people wouldn't really listen if you did it any other way.

i'll collaborate with icedogg and work out a small guide.

Thanks for everyones replies of support but lets just make a few things clear here.

Neowin is 5 years old and its revenue is handled under a company name (thats also good business for the survival of any popular website). We can't be compared to anything like a TV station because:

a) we don't get paid a lot of money to display 30 sec ad's on TV

b) We don't get paid by companies to display their products here (unlike TV corps, who sometimes charge for air time)

c) we don't have multiple subscriber access packages like cable or TV companies. Everyone sees everything.

I know the argument about "I paid for my internet access so why should I pay to browse Neowin?"

For years the money to host Neowin came out of our own pockets, this is when we didn't have ad's, then we tried sponsorship in order to STILL not have ad's here, that didn't work, so when we started managing it like a business we saw the revenue that paid us to display ad's here was well worth it and has since allowed us to expand from 1 server to 4.

Now if many people decided to block the ad's Neowin displays we will never be able to get a 5th server and might even have troubles paying for our current setup of 4. I dare you to go to any well etablished site like Neowin (one thats been around 3 years or more with a large userbase) and view THAT site without any ad-blockers. I can guarentee you that they will display more ad's than we do, they might even have pop-ups (I come across this all the time) while all we have are a maximum of 3 per page displayed in a manner that doesn't interrupt your browsing experience.

We don't have those screen covering flash ad's, we could do it but we want to make your experience enjoyable and we aren't in it 'just for the money' its a means of survival.

So before you guys comment "I got a subscriber package so I can do the hell I want" just remember, it does support Neowin but it just gives you an email and some extra forum perks.. Thats why its so cheap ($12.41 per YEAR) and to those who block ads on the internet, I understand that these days its becoming a necassary thing with sites taking advantage of the way ad's are displayed, but if you enjoy this site and block the ads you are contributing to a future problem we'll have with expansion.

Thats all.

My take on ads on the internet and blocking of said ads is this. It's no different than "blocking" commercials on TV using a Tivo. I pay for my internet service, I pay for everything else that gets me connected to Neowin, I just paid for a subscription to Neowin. You say it's for an e-mail address, but as far as I'm concerned, you can keep it, I don't need another one. You say Neobond "owns Neowin" and thus can do what he wants. I say according to the domain registration information, Neowin is owned by Neowin LLC. An LLC is a partnership of managers and members, I know, I am the member/manager of my own LLC.

(Y) (Y)