Adblockers

Care to tell me who I banned? How about providing me with some proof that a coder even read my post? As far as I'm aware, I just told Armeck how it would be possible.

586724734[/snapback]

You know what I meant. :/

I, for one, understand Neowin's position in taking on ads to generate revenue, but I have to be honest as well. As a reader of Neowin, I find the intellitxt ads to be absolutely unbearable. They are a complete nuisance and utter annoyance, especially for those of us that like to scan/read with our mouse. The links are much more visible than the links in the news stories that go to actual content.

I liken the intellitxt problem to a newspaper inserting little advertising taglines mid-sentence, or TV broadcasters inserting brief flashes of products during a show (different than the commercials, which I would liken to an interstitial on a website).

If Neowin would lose the intellitxt, I would be a much happier reader, and would have no problems in supporting Neowin through advertising.

I can guarentee you that they will display more ad's than we do, they might even have pop-ups (I come across this all the time) while all we have are a maximum of 3 per page displayed in a manner that doesn't interrupt your browsing experience.

We don't have those screen covering flash ad's, we could do it but we want to make your experience enjoyable and we aren't in it 'just for the money' its a means of survival.

586726085[/snapback]

thank you for that neobond. i really truely appreshiate that. i really hate popups and annoying flash banners, and blinking lights, drives me nuts, and puts my mood for the site down.

if neowin turned into a popup and annoying java ad web site.. i wouldn't renew my suscription. and even with this new "ad-free" neowin for suscribers.. i'd still rather support neowin and suscribe, rather then not see them.

I, like alot of people will prolly admit to never clicking on them... But I certainly never block them...

I'm sure I could click on one or two every now and then !

I don't understand why anyone would complain about the ads here. Heck, we even have members who proclaim "there are ads?!" and "I've never seen the ads until you pointed them out". It's obvious they are unobtrusive and people are simply being greedy or fighting some usless fight against "the man". I work for this place and I get ads. I don't complain one bit and even try to click them every now and then. Jesus, this shouldn't even be a discussion. Some people....

i just want to know one thing..

how does it work? when does it register my click.. is it as simple as clicking on the ad and then closing the ad?

586729436[/snapback]

once the page loads after clicking the ad, all should be good and counted.

I want you to know, I have rethought my stand on ads online. I have read the arguments for and against. And while I've whitelisted neowin long ago, I have decided to try it without ad blocking for a while to see how BAD it can be. Wish me luck. No blocking for at least a month, to give me time to get use to the clutter.

I use a lot of sites and can't afford to donate to them all, so I feel this is my duty. If I feel a site abusing ads or isn't worth viewing the ads for, I just won't go back.

PS. I'm not trying to win brownie points or anything like that. I just wanted to say my intentions as I've talked a lot in the past about blocking ads.

Ok I have removed http://ads. from my adblock filter so I can now see Neowin ads. I will now click them also I am sorry for not supporting Neowin sooner. I didn't realise that you really really needed the money for the site I guess I was selfish sorry.

Ok I have removed http://ads. from my adblock filter so I can now see Neowin ads. I will now click them also I am sorry for not supporting Neowin sooner. I didn't realise that you really really needed the money for the site I guess I was selfish sorry.

586729580[/snapback]

:rofl:

i clicked a bunch of them today.. "art of looking busy at work"..

*thought* i would crap myself if they logged everything.. DUM DUM DUUUUUUMMM!!!

I understood from the day I was told of Neowin and signed up. I don't block ads because I understand they generate you some money when I click on them. I do click on them from time to time. Did 4 today. :) Used to block them before when they were of some offensive content but now all I see is google adsenses.

To help even more you might like to offer to accept donations from your fans. I know about the subscriptions, but what I mean is where people give you money just to help you. :)

Nice of you, Neobond to do something about it. (Y) ;)

Which servers should be whitelisted ?

I thought all graphical ads were on ads.neowin.net and the text ads were by google but i just noticed ads at the bottom by burstnet.com so my question is that are there any other ad servers that neowin uses ?

How dare you assume i use firefox !

I use opera :p

586731338[/snapback]

Quick move to Firefox or your Operating System will have a Bluescreen and DIE FOREVER... :D :rofl:

I agree with the AD's, and i don't see any problem with them..

Long life NEOWIN.. :)

How much money exactly does one person make Neowin if they click the ads once a day?

586729490[/snapback]

It depends on the ad. Some can be up to $10.00 a click depending on what the google "adsense" user wishes to pay.

I, for one, am happy to see this policy in place. It was getting rather tiresome of the clowns saying "Ads? What ads? I don't see any ads. :D "

It's bad enough that you do it. You don't need to boast or gloat about it as well.

Edited by yisman

I want you to know, I have rethought my stand on ads online. I have read the arguments for and against. And while I've whitelisted neowin long ago, I have decided to try it without ad blocking for a while to see how BAD it can be. Wish me luck. No blocking for at least a month, to give me time to get use to the clutter.

I use a lot of sites and can't afford to donate to them all, so I feel this is my duty. If I feel a site abusing ads or isn't worth viewing the ads for, I just won't go back.

PS. I'm not trying to win brownie points or anything like that. I just wanted to say my intentions as I've talked a lot in the past about blocking ads.

586729542[/snapback]

(Y) That's a very good stance to take. I respect you for that.