Adblockers

Hehe, it seems Neobond has somehow made the "Add Reply" button get blocked by adblock. Anybody else noticed this?

586774807[/snapback]

Um no? I think this an issue that only you are experiencing.

EDIT: I just had a thought if you moved the ad reply .gifs to the ads.neowin server people would not be able to block the whole ad server if they wanted to post on the board meaning they would have to block adverts individually meaning quite a few ads would get through to the people that use adblock on Neowin. :cool:

Oops, I must have accidentally added t_reply.gif to the block list. But I think that would be a good idea if you move vital images like that to ads.neowin.net. Considering the ads change often, blocking individual ads won't work very well and people will have to unblock ads.neowin.net.

It appears people do not appreciate Neowin's contribution to their lives. They all want a free ride. Bet if you went to subscription access only they would be the first to scream. Freeloaders are the bane of a civilized world and applaud any/all efforts to curb them. They seem to take the idea 'free' speech to mean they don't have to contribute at all, not even ad clicking.

This is such a trival topic. Neowin needs to generate revenue to stay online. People come here for news, help, etc and shouldn't squawk about a few ads appearing on their screen, let alone clicking an ad.

This topic has finally got me off the fence and to subscribe to Neowin. It's a great site worth both our time (ad clicking) and money (subscriptions).

It appears people do not appreciate Neowin's contribution to their lives.  They all want a free ride.  Bet if you went to subscription access only they would be the first to scream.  Freeloaders are the bane of a civilized world and applaud any/all efforts to curb them.  They seem to take the idea 'free' speech to mean they don't have to contribute at all, not even ad clicking.

This is such a trival topic.  Neowin needs to generate revenue to stay online.  People come here for news, help, etc and shouldn't squawk about a few ads appearing on their screen, let alone clicking an ad.

This topic has finally got me off the fence and to subscribe to Neowin.  It's a great site worth both our time (ad clicking) and money (subscriptions).

586774899[/snapback]

While I agree with your overall statement, there are some things in your post that I have problems with.

Freeloaders applaud efforts to curb them? Wrong word, I think. :unsure:

Freedom of speech has nothing to do with contributing to a website. :p

You just agreed with him, you realize. You obviously don't appreciate why this forum exists. If you can't follow the simple rules of this site, and you don't think it's a contribution to anyone, why bother coming here at all? You did read the first post? No one is telling you're not allowed to block ads, they just don't want to hear about it if you do. You said here:

Right.  This place is nothing but ignorant little kids and AOL-speak using 'tards that drool over Microsoft.

586643428[/snapback]

I assume you're describing yourself, and you come here to socialize with like-minded people. I can't otherwise comprehend why you're here.

I have no issues with ads on Neowin... but for petes sake please... for the love of god fix the 100% CPU / Error Message issue that occurs when loading up the front page - It's driving my nuts!

Whilst I do block ads (on all sites) - because I frequently visit Neowin, and its such a great place I subscribed. My subscription will be maintained for as long as I block out ads.

As far as I can say, anyone who blocks ads should have to subscribe if they want to visit Neowin..

Initially I didn't like this idea, and agreed with the approach of "It's my pc/internet/money, why should I not be allowed to what I want"

But after reading some more comments about ads on tv/movies etc. I think that's a fair compromise too....

Here's a twister: If I block ads at work but not home, do I get half a warning??? :D :rofl:

Sorry, couldn't help it ;)

While I can see the point, I don't think that it will achieve much. If you're a user of blocking software, which isn't exactly hard to find, then this will simply annoy you. It's unlikely to make people change. Besides which, I would have though that most people are using generic regexp blocks.

A better plan would be to change the text of the post, adding a short paragraph on why the user should whitelist neowin, and telling them how do so.

People will remove the ads if they can, (they'd do the same with TV if they could) it's nothing personal. If you provide them with a good reason to unblock you, then you may stop them simply creating alts to post with, if they want to tell people about blocking software.

While I agree with your overall statement, there are some things in your post that I have problems with.

Freeloaders applaud efforts to curb them? Wrong word, I think. :unsure:

Freedom of speech has nothing to do with contributing to a website. :p

586776460[/snapback]

I think he meant to say "I applaud efforts to curb them." He left out a letter.

The reading comprehension skills of some of you guys is really problematic.  :no:

586723381[/snapback]

I would say it's more that people are completely stunned by this decision and they want to be completely sure what is and what isn't acceptable.

I doubt Neobond and the team were or are making any profit

586780557[/snapback]

I don't know specifics, but I think it's safe to say that they don't even break even.

• 2 weeks later...

For people saying it's their hardware and they can do what they want, it's Neobond's site, and he can do what he wants. If imposing a rule affects subscription so much (which according to the posts, most people support, except for a stubborn few) then he might change it. Although you own a computer, it doesn't mean you are entitled to free games, programs and internet.