Is downloading a ripped DVD illegal?

115 members have voted

1. 1. Is downloading a ripped DVD illegal?

• Yes
    • No

This is really more of a question than a poll... The way I see it, if I didn't make the copy and I didn't rip anything why should downloading it be illegal? For example: If your friend buys a Dvd, and gives it to you as a present, is it illegal?

It is illegal because you are obtaining, protected, retail merchandise for free. You are cheating, the developers, manufacturers, marketers etc. This stuff costs money and by downloading it for free you deprive the people who produce the products of it. I find this attitude typical of children, and warez kiddies. Heard the old adage nothing in life is free? This is no exception. A DVD is no different to ripping a cd. If you have not payed for it, then yeah,. its illegal.

Ok, so what if they immediatly delete it from their hard-drive? That would be exactly like giving it to you...? Come on, there's got to be a loophole somewhere.. :p

Originally posted by Evil_Dragon

Ok, so what if they immediatly delete it from their hard-drive? That would be exactly like giving it to you...? Come on, there's got to be a loophole somewhere.. :p

Why not just post in extra big letters, and bold it too just to be sure and announce right here and now that you are a warez monkey?:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Keldyn

Why not just post in extra big letters, and bold it too just to be sure and announce right here and now that you are a warez monkey?:rolleyes:

Oh, my, no!!! I'm simply trying to prove my know-it-all brother wrong.... And you're not making that too easy... :(

In fact my whole hard-drive is free of warez.... Well, except mp3's, but seriously... That's like... Heh.... I mean.... Come on... :rolleyes:

well they say you can rip your own dvds and it's not illegal. It's not set tho... they are still going nuts over it. It's like making a VHS tape of a TV show. Even tho it's copyrighted you can make personal copies. Alot of people will say their machines aren't powerful enough to make a "backup" so they download them which in that sense is legal but it gets waaay too confusing. I suggest you stay away :) hehe

It is illegal because you are obtaining, protected, retail merchandise for free.

Ok, lets look at this. If you use my earlier metaphor of a gift, you'll see that in this way you also obtain the DVD for free. Now, the original person who ripped it, had to have bought it for him/herself. I understand that if maybe they rented the movie and copied it, that would be illegal, but this is the reason I asked.

Ok, lets look at this. If you use my earlier metaphor of a gift, you'll see that in this way you also obtain the DVD for free. Now, the original person who ripped it, had to have bought it for him/herself. I understand that if maybe they rented the movie and copied it, that would be illegal, but this is the reason I asked.

LOL yes but this original person "hopefully" paid for it, so the people who produced the DVD get their money. now, if this person were simply to keep this dvd, but burn a copy for you, that would be illegal. As for downloading it over the net, the people distributing it, i am willing to bet have not paid for it either...It is warez, plain and simple. IF you want to be in the clear, just dont touch it.:rolleyes:

It if it was a gift, then you recieved if for free but the person that gave you it would no longer have it, so the price of that 1 was taken care of. But if they copy it then you get a copy and it spreads then only one was paid for but many exist :D.

In principle it is not much different to XP and WPA. It exists to stop you from taking your paid copy and going and installing it on joes computer. If joe wants xp he has to go and purchase his own.

Same applys for the dvd. Copying it is illegal. If you want it, you have to pay for it. By pirating software, music etc you deprive the people repsonsible for producing it of income.

It is not illegal if you own the actual dvd and download a "backup" copy of it in divx or whatever form. If you download it without owning it, it is illegal. But there are tons of people on the internet that do this, i doubt the law will go after an individual, but rather individuals that take advantage of this and try to profit from the material.

its only illegal if you get caught.

that goes for everything about life.

There arent any loopholes guys. Why would you download it and delete it right away? You like wasting bandwidth? Its illegal even if you sample it, delete it in 24 hours, say its for your dying grandmother who fought in WW1 and WW2 and NAM, its illegal to have it period. Even if you own it, bought it, or got it from a friendly little green alien.

MP3's are just as illegal as downloading that pirated copy of Adobe Photoshop so anyone who tries to act high and mighty about piracy can just sit down now. Companies can fill you full of propoganda that they lose 22 billion dollars a year in piracy, or that you are ruinning the economy by pirating software but come on, its just that, propoganda. You think companies would pass savings on to you if piracy ended?

You dont get busted for downloading anything, plain and simple. John Law doesnt want people who need software, they want the people that supply it. The feds arent going to break down your door, your ISP wont cut you off and ban your ass, nothing earth shattering is going to happen.

This world is to chaotic and unfair to be bothered to uphold trivial laws in place to protect the rich. I could care less who gets hurt and who doesnt over online piracy. I dont see the fairness in this world so I will add to the termoil.

Call me a "warez monkey", call me whatever you like.

Originally posted by prick

hahahaha i once told a friend not to buy pirated audio cd, its illegal. he replied me exactly what you've said. :D

Why are people searching for gray area in this? IT'S STEALING!

The only problem with this is that you could walk into your local Best Buy (or any other horrid store that is all too eager to separate you from your hard earned cash in exchange for inferior products), pick up your favorite DVD, walk right past the checkout counter, and take it home, and it carries less of a fine than copying it from the internet. How is this any different?

I suppose there are a few differences: the DVD will play better, it's indistinguishable from it's legally purchased counterpart, and it's not the movie/production companies who lose the money.

Additionally, there is the problem that DVD rips are shared and therefore are much more widely available-- that's why Best Buy has to have cameras everywhere- but they don't pick everything up. People still get past them. It's illegal, but they don't get caught because no system is perfect.

So why isn't Best Buy perusing these people with the same vengeance as the movie companies? Best Buy realizes it's their own problem and that THEY have to deal with the problem. They try their best to stop shoplifters, and have the full support of the law for those actions aptly labeled as THEFT.

So, therefore, wouldn't it logically follow that the movie companies should enforce their own security measures? DVD's have a built-in anti-copy system-- it's not very good, but it is there.

Best Buy's security is fairly transparent-- you walk through devices designed to sound alarms when merchandise not recently put over a magnet goes through them. Security cameras silently watch you from the ceiling. You make no effort to do anything different in the store whether those security features were there or not.

Why aren't DVD's the same way? Stores saw shoplifters were endangering their livelihood, and so security systems were developed and implemented. Movie companies saw DVD rippers were endangering their well endowed livelihood, and so they did the first thing any decent American should do- go to the lawmakers and make your enemies pay! I'd say it's safe to assume that the movie copying laws may not yet have gone overboard, but they are about to. The punishments certainly have gone way overboard.

Intellectual property and a physical piece of property are two distinct things. It would not be all right to copy a book to give to a friend-- it certainly would not be all right to copy a book to freely distribute.

I know it's a little off topic, but forcing software to work in a way that it isn't designed to should be perfectly all right, provided you have a legal copy with a license. If I were to take a book by John Grisham, and were to cut apart the pages and rearrange the words tape them to a piece of paper it would be perfectly alright, provided I do not attempt to sell it as the work of Grisham.

The backup of software, including DVD's should be not be legal despite the obvious flaw in their technology. Again with the book analogy-- if I were to rip a single page of a book, the book is still usable. If the cover of the book were to become worn with normal use, it would still be usable. If a CD or DVD were to become scratched from normal use, it could become unusable.

Does anyone remember when DVD/RW's first came out? They were in large floppy-like plastic containers. Their volume did not increase dramatically, but they were no longer prone to the abuse of normal use. Why the hell didn't we see that when CD's first came out? Even cassette tapes and VHS tapes protect their media! (The latter more than the former, but each is protected from the elements nonetheless.)

So, in conclusion, it's the movie industry's own fault for movie piracy, and the design of modern optical media could have been saved from a major flaw with only a half-ounce more plastic.

Shoplifting and piracy are illegal, "but people will continue to do it anyway."

Originally posted by shockz

Yes its illegal. Just read the thing that says WARNING and then has all that small print at the begining of the dvd.

The best part about that warning is you can rip that warning too if you want to. LOL And does anyone really read that crap?

Originally posted by prick

How true is that? I think you hit it on the head.