Generous Donation by Denzel Washington

Believe it or not, this country wants you to be scared. When you are scared, you are dependent on someone or something. Heart warming stories make you feel all good, not scared. Good for Denzel, that is very good to hear, that some people in this country still give a damn about the troops over their. Yea, everyone wears their ribbons and donates their $20 and says they support the troops. Why don't you donate a little more and give up a little more of yourself and the selfish things you take for granted. Or would that be an inconvenience to you. We are all obviously not able to whip out our check book and make a new building, so as the little people, we should do the little things.

You know.. I don't wanna rain on the parade here - especially since I'd really like for this story to be true - but I have reason to believe it's not. I wanted to make mention of this on my blog and maybe even forward to a talk radio show or two. But I was not able to find a corroborative story. Instead, I found something else.

Check this out:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/denzel.asp

http://www.dcmilitary.com/army/pentagram/1...ws/37447-1.html

Sorry.. I definitely want to spread the word on anything that makes America look good, but I want to be correct about it too.

At least the story is partially true, so I'll take that over nothing.  :unsure:

586747811[/snapback]

QUOTES from the first link, 2/3 the way down the page.

Coker said Washington did in fact make a sizeable donation to Fisher House several months after his visit to BAMC. He declined to comment on the size of the donation, but it was not enough to build a new Fisher House.

[Coker also] said the fact that Washington, 49, did not write a check 'on the spot' does not diminish his contribution to the Fisher House and his support 'for the men and women who serve our country.'

So the only difference was that he did not write the check on the spot.

QUOTES from the first link, 2/3 the way down the page.

Coker said Washington did in fact make a sizeable donation to Fisher House several months after his visit to BAMC. He declined to comment on the size of the donation, but it was not enough to build a new Fisher House.

[Coker also] said the fact that Washington, 49, did not write a check 'on the spot' does not diminish his contribution to the Fisher House and his support 'for the men and women who serve our country.'

So the only difference was that he did not write the check on the spot.

586747839[/snapback]

You're correct.

I should have been clearer and said that the story was exaggerated, but still true for the most part. :)

Awesome!

They really need help bad this year. The AirForce Village (for PoWs and KIA soldier's widows/widowers) started a pretty good campaign in the USAF to get people to donate as they only run off of donations too. I'm glad to see more people getting involved with this stuff.

Also more on Fisher Houses: http://www.wramc.amedd.army.mil/fisher/

Edited by dotRoot

finally a hollywood actor with the balls to do something really good without telling the whole world about it. good going mr.washington (Y)

Nice guy, looking after his country men, I dont think the rest are anti-america they are just pointing out america's faults.

If they didn't START a war, there would be no victims.....

But things like this should make front page news not just in america but all over the world, then maybe the american goverment might put more money in to these places as they are their soldiers.

that is really cool for someone to do that, you don't see many celebrities doing that kinda thing do you? :)

btw.. my RE teacher <3's him and we tend to take the mick outta her every lesson lol