Australia under new terror threat ?

SYDNEY, Australia (CNN) -- Australian Prime Minister John Howard warned Wednesday that he had received intelligence information about a specific terror threat to his country, though he refused to divulge details of the threat, citing security concerns.

At a nationally televised news conference in the capital of Canberra, Howard said releasing details of the threat would compromise security concerns.

"You will understand that there are sensitive operational matters and I cannot and will not go into further detail," he said.

"I don't want to overstate the situation, but I don't want to understate it," he added.

The Associated Press reported that Howard later Wednesday introduced an amendment to counterterrorism laws in the House of Representatives, in a bid to boost intelligence agencies' powers.

Australia's upper house of parliament, the Senate, which the government also controls, will be recalled Thursday to vote on the amendment.

The government is seeking urgent passage of the legislation, which has raised concerns over its "preventative detention" provisions and restrictions on freedom of expression.

After initially supporting the legislation, state premiers and some opposition members have expressed anxiety over the proposed laws, citing civil liberties concerns.

The terror warning also comes a day after Australia's leading spy agency, the Australian Security Intelligence Organization (ASIO), publicly warned of what it said was the extent of the "home-grown" Islamic threat.

In it's annual report, ASIO says there are an estimated 700-800 Muslims who have expressed support for politically motivated violence.

Australia "has been of interest to terrorists every year for the last six years," the report says.

source

sad what the world is coming to, the funniest part is that it's all religion based.

586758265[/snapback]

And you're surprised?

Haven't you read the bible/Quraan/Torah/whatever holy book you read?

The end of the world is all about religion

Of course, the muslims...who else....I'm speechless....my religion has become .....everything I was tought not to do or belive in

586758241[/snapback]

Well maybe muslim extremists should have killed hundreds of people in NY in 2001, or all the other terrist attacks on western interests over the last 5 years especially.

I tend to trust what ASIO say, they are the experts.

And you're surprised?

Haven't you read the bible/Quraan/Torah/whatever holy book you read?

The end of the world is all about religion

586758587[/snapback]

I havent seen any Buddhists, Christians or Hindus threatening to kill westeners in the interests of religion. No. Only extremist Muslims.

davemania: I think you should show some respect - name calling is a no no in forums so what gives you the right to call the democratically elected leader of Australia any sort of name?

davemania: I think you should show some respect - name calling is a no no in forums so what gives you the right to call the democratically elected leader of Australia any sort of name?

Because it is within my right.

It is your right to voice an opinion not to call names - thats primary school stuff.

586760120[/snapback]

Was that too politically incorrect for you ??? For a government not known for honesty or integrity, you sure are kicking up alot of dirt for it.

In my opinion, the Australian Government is doing a very good job in this. They are protecting the right of people to live happily in Australia. I praise the government in introducing anti-terror laws. that will mean that Australia will be a safer place to be. But I know that nothing can stop terrorists, but this would help a bit. :)

Was that too politically incorrect for you ??? For a government not known for honesty or integrity, you sure are kicking up alot of dirt for it.

586760347[/snapback]

I believe that the government is honest. I don't know what you're talking about frankly.

mr.roberts: I think so too. Australia needs to get serious about stopping terrorists and the approach being taken by the government has my full support.

I believe that the government is honest. I don't know what you're talking about frankly.

586760480[/snapback]

Children overboard, Tempa, election ad issue and Iraq ?

The timiing of this terror threat really raises some questions. First is the focus off the industrial relation reform and the content of the anti-terror bill which some states has problem with is now being pushed through the parliment beacuse of this threat.

This threat may be real but it really reminds me of the NY terror threat hoax.

Edited by davemania

Genuine or not, the timing of this "potential threat" is impeccable. And only helps the government to pass laws and reforms that weren't in their election campaign.

I dont know what makes me sadder; the government, or the useless federal opposition.

I havent seen any Buddhists, Christians or Hindus threatening to kill westeners in the interests of religion. No. Only extremist Muslims.

586759796[/snapback]

That statement is wrong on so many levels. Yes terrorism is wrong, but these people aren't doing this cause they're crazy.

1. Muslims and jews have always been enemies since Mohamed made treaties with them and they stabbed us in the back tens of times

2. you don't see an Israel in the heart of Budist or Chirstian or Hindou territory

3. You just can't say muslims are blowing themselves up for no reason...they're doing so because they have a reason to...If you give christians, hindou, whatever religion a reason, their extremists will probably do the same thing....that doesn't mean I'm justifying terrorism....but honestly, if I were born in Palastein with no reason to live...being oppresssed by an alien force, with no or little education, no monney, sometimes no family, no freedom, no house because maybe Israelis levelled it....I'd try to get back at them somehow

To whoever said that the Australian Government is honest, well, think again.

No government ON THIS PLANET can be honest and still stay in power.

Why? Because the public likes feel-good lies better than truths. If they told the truth to the public, the public would get this idea to kick them out of office the next election.

That statement is wrong on so many levels. Yes terrorism is wrong, but these people aren't doing this cause they're crazy.

1. Muslims and jews have always been enemies since Mohamed made treaties with them and they stabbed us in the back tens of times

2. you don't see an Israel in the heart of Budist or Chirstian or Hindou territory

3. You just can't say muslims are blowing themselves up for no reason...they're doing so because they have a reason to...If you give christians, hindou, whatever religion a reason, their extremists will probably do the same thing....that doesn't mean I'm justifying terrorism....but honestly, if I were born in Palastein with no reason to live...being oppresssed by an alien force, with no or little education, no monney, sometimes no family, no freedom, no house because maybe Israelis levelled it....I'd try to get back at them somehow

586761910[/snapback]

1. What? We're talking about Australia and the new terror threat & New Anti Terror Laws, not about Mohamed.

2. I don't understand what you mean by "in the heart of..." & "territory".

3. If they have a reason, I don't see it. There is never a good enough reason to kill or terrorise another human being - read my type N E V E R!

My general comment is that if you don't like where you are, say Australia. You think that some scum is justified in strapping explosives or flying a plane into a building - then pack your bags and go back to your perfect country where you hail from; otherwise you will have the Australian Government and millions of ****ed off australians to deal with. Count me in.

Who woulda thought just two decades ago John Howard was a persistent no-hoper who had and lost the leadership consecutively and whose ambitions far outstripped his height. Now today the guy is like the Master of Puppets in Australian politics.

Im not going to debate the matter, but my personal opinion is that this 'threat' is just too conveniently timed, and further more I like these comments such as 'Australia needs to get serious about terrorism'. I think most people would find our current Anti-terror laws are reasonably on par with other Western States, and as of yet Australia stil hasnt been hit by a terrorist inncident, which inclines me to believe the laws must be working pretty well as they are.

1. What? We're talking about Australia and the new terror threat & New Anti Terror Laws, not about Mohamed.

2. I don't understand what you mean by "in the heart of..." & "territory".

3. If they have a reason, I don't see it. There is never a good enough reason to kill or terrorise another human being - read my type N E V E R!

My general comment is that if you don't like where you are, say Australia. You think that some scum is justified in strapping explosives or flying a plane into a building - then pack your bags and go back to your perfect country where you hail from; otherwise you will have the Australian Government and millions of ****ed off australians to deal with. Count me in.

586764021[/snapback]

I wouldn't blow myself up and waste my life killing people who didn't do anything to me...Maybe in my post, I overlooked the fact that we're talking about a new threat to Australia. i'mk just saying that ever since Israel was rooted in the heart of Arab land (bound by Syria, Jordan, Egypt, Palastine, Lebanon) and they fought each and every country of these with support from America....

I honestly have no solid reply...I made a thread anyway about why I respect terrorists' perseverance

In any case, I condemn any terror threat/attack against any country. I myself have witnessed about 10 terror atacks in my country so i hate them just as much as anyone why experienced a terror threat/attack.

Well, in the events that you list the Israelis fighting their neighbours, you're right, they did. Most specifically during the Six Days War. The big, glaring omission youy left out is that Israel was invaded by their neighbours, and then in a retaliatory measure, they took territory from their aggressors.