Should we remove graphics in our sigs?

Originally posted by Timan

graphics if any. both would be good though, i mean threads load faster seeing there are less aol banners to look at ;)

Is my sig OK?

/ /

No not really as the link takes as much space on the server as text does and your graphics are remotely hosted anyway not contributing to the server load. :)

Originally posted by Tesseract

Do you think we should remove the graphics in our signatures, or the signatures themselves?

No, but the image sizes and file sizes need to be stricter, and more strictly enforced.

Originally posted by IgwanaRob

No, but the image sizes and file sizes need to be stricter, and more strictly enforced.

LOOK! Your Images are NOT on Neowin's server. Only the link to the image is. The link takes up as much space as the text sig would. Trust My Knowledge.

Originally posted by Hypercube

LOOK! Your Images are NOT on Neowin's server. Only the link to the image is. The link takes up as much space as the text sig would. Trust My Knowledge.

just cause the image is not hosted on neowin doesn't mean anything, there still is that spot in the db for your sig,

Originally posted by Timan

just cause the image is not hosted on neowin doesn't mean anything, there still is that spot in the db for your sig,

Yes Timan, but the sig link is the same size if not smaller than a text signature. The only think the Neowin server does is look up the link to the image and pass that to your browser to retrieve. This only takes a very small percentage of the server load so it's pretty pointless.

Originally posted by Hypercube

?

How do you even justify coming to the conclusion that I in any way inferred that the images were on Neowin's server? If you were reading any of the other threads, you'd see that I was the first one to suggest that avatars be linked externally JUST LIKE sig images.

All I said is that the CURRENT sig guidelines should be stricter and more strictly enforced (There is no reason to have 10 lines about your stupid hardware - nor should the images take up half the damn screen). Is that clear now?

Originally posted by IgwanaRob

All I said is that the CURRENT sig guidelines should be stricter and more strictly enforced (There is no reason to have 10 lines about your stupid hardware - nor should the images take up half the damn screen). Is that clear now?

Straight up. I hate when there is 10 lines about someone's computer. Maybe I should reduce my sig a bit. :p

I've turned off sigs and avatars in my options because some people just don't know how much is too much. I don't need to see some flashing image in the avatar or some big-ass pic of someone in a bikini with someone's forum name on it. Even I get sick of seeing my sig so I retired it.

There's no need to remove anything. If I want to remove sigs I'll just use the big 'turn off sigs' switch :)

Without graphic sigs, I think it would look pretty boring. Especially now, with avatars (temporarily?) disabled, pages look so dull. Small sigs are good, remember that people.

Originally posted by hurting101

Without graphic sigs, I think it would look pretty boring. Especially now, with avatars (temporarily?) disabled, pages look so dull. Small sigs are good, remember that people.

wise words