Gays Can't Publish!

such realism is handily ignored by those who choose to vilify them because their religion (or "principles") allegedly dictates such vilification, boffa. people are afraid of what they do not understand, and there are those who would seek to dehumanize gay people because it suits their interests in order to attempt to quash that fear. i pity people who live in such fear of others who are not so different from them, the only difference being the gender they are sexually attracted to. gay people laugh, cry, love, hate, work, pay taxes, and complain like the rest of us. the sooner people realize that, the sooner people choose to stop fearing and dehumanizing what they do not understand, the world will be a better place.

On top of that, I can't imagine who would choose to be gay with ignorance and hate running rampant in our world.

586773463[/snapback]

This is the question that always pops into my head whenever someone comes along and proclaims being gay as a choice. It just doesn't make sense.

I agree with Boffa Jones. If someone chose to be gay in this world where homosexuality is vigorously condemned and even result in execution in some countries, it's probably that he was meant to be gay at the first place when born.

Perhaps you may not be able to make that choice now, but you DID make that choice at some point in your life.  Whether that choice is made actively or passively doesn't change the fact that it is a choice.

586771587[/snapback]

Wow. What do you mean a passive choice? How can you passively choose to be gay? It would seem to me in the context you are using it, it would be an active choice only.

It's not something that happens, it's who you are.

/k

By passive, I mean that it isn't a conscience decision. You make all sorts of decisions throughout the day without even realizing. When you were younger, you chose what activities you enjoyed...football vs basketball, etc. It wasn't a conscience decision, but you made it nonetheless.

By passive, I mean that it isn't a conscience decision.  You make all sorts of decisions throughout the day without even realizing.  When you were younger, you chose what activities you enjoyed...football vs basketball, etc.  It wasn't a conscience decision, but you made it nonetheless.

586776089[/snapback]

So, you are trying to tell me that people just decide to be gay...

Genetics decide, not your subconcious. Just like genetics decided i would have ADD. It's biochemistry, not psychology.

In fairness, i don't think it's something you can pass judgement on unless you've experienced it, which you clearly have not. How many gay people do you even know, and i mean friends, not aquaintances. If there are any, give them your opinion and watch their reaction.

/k

By passive, I mean that it isn't a conscience decision.

586776089[/snapback]

Doesn't that make it not a choice then? :wacko:

If it's not a conscience decision, then it's not in your control.

Doesn't that make it not a choice then? :wacko:

If it's not a conscience decision, then it's not in your control.

586777170[/snapback]

Yea but at least you can then blame the kids' parents for lack of moral direction (or something to that effect).

Yea but at least you can then blame the kids' parents for lack of moral direction (or something to that effect).

586777363[/snapback]

so when someone chooses the activities they like, you can blame the parents for moral direction?

High school students aren't mature enough to have a serious debate?

586768183[/snapback]

Most aren't. But neither are most adults. I still disagree with banning the article though. People tend to know their sexuality from a very young age.

Well, I figure that if I can't choose then a lot of gay guys can't choose either.  I mean, it seems like common sense to me.

586768954[/snapback]

Agreed.

such realism is handily ignored by those who choose to vilify them because their religion (or "principles") allegedly dictates such vilification, boffa. people are afraid of what they do not understand, and there are those who would seek to dehumanize gay people because it suits their interests in order to attempt to quash that fear. i pity people who live in such fear of others who are not so different from them, the only difference being the gender they are sexually attracted to. gay people laugh, cry, love, hate, work, pay taxes, and complain like the rest of us. the sooner people realize that, the sooner people choose to stop fearing and dehumanizing what they do not understand, the world will be a better place.

586773485[/snapback]

Agreed, again. I only know one gay person very well (as far as I know), so it's not exactly representative. Apart from who he has sex with, he is pretty much EXACTLY THE SAME AS EVERYONE ELSE.

I also know a bit about how being gay upset his childhood. He didn't know about being gay, he thought that he was a total freak, which of course he isn't.

He got bullied throughout his schoolyears and has also been mugged/punched/generally victimised for refusing to hide and be ashamed of who he is.

Now then, why the hell would someone choose that?

Genetics decide, not your subconcious. Just like genetics decided i would have ADD. It's biochemistry, not psychology.

In fairness, i don't think it's something you can pass judgement on unless you've experienced it, which you clearly have not. How many gay people do you even know, and i mean friends, not aquaintances. If there are any, give them your opinion and watch their reaction.

/k

586776300[/snapback]

*sigh* Why do I even bother. At least others understood and disagreed accordingly.

Just a clarification, there is no "gay gene." If that was the case, homosexuality would appear more often within the same family, and it rarely does. Homosexuality, as far as researchers can tell, is a caused by a different hormonal balance than normal.

Just a clarification, there is no "gay gene." If that was the case, homosexuality would appear more often within the same family, and it rarely does. Homosexuality, as far as researchers can tell, is a caused by a different hormonal balance than normal.

586779982[/snapback]

Rosie O'Donnell is a lesbian and her brother (Dan O'Donnell, sits on the NY legislature) is gay. Maybe they have a gay gene. :p

Rosie O'Donnell is a lesbian and her brother (Dan O'Donnell, sits on the NY legislature) is gay.  Maybe they have a gay gene:p:p

586780264[/snapback]

Maybe Rosie just figured "What guy is going to date me?":D:D

Humour aside, I don't believe it is a choice for many people.

/k

586776300[/snapback]

Maybe you should actually study Biochemistry as I am along with Psychology, fact of the matter is there is not enough evidence to say that genetics decides sexual orientation and there is not enough to prove it is a personal decision or a socially determined trait. I believe it is a combination of the two.

586779982[/snapback]

Also wrong it is not a hormonal inbalance. It is actually somewhat attributed to a cluster of cells in the hypothalamus and some social causation can be traced. Rates of twins also show that twins have a higher chance of having the same sexual traits as well as higher occurances within a family. Suggesting that this may be somewhat genetic and at the same time somewhat social. Also to disprove the whole twins grew up together and had the same experience argument, they have done studies with twins that were split at birth and they also have greater occurances of having like heterosexualite or homosexuality.