Two men save woman from oncoming subway train

November 5, 2005

Heroic Action

They went from being subway riders to heroes in just a matter of minutes.

A 58-year-old woman owes her life to two men who leapt onto the tracks in a T.T.C. station and saved her from an oncoming train during the afternoon rush hour Friday.

The dramatic rescue happened around 4pm at Lawrence Avenue West subway station. The woman was standing on the platform when she fainted and fell onto the rails. Two men, ages 25 and 26, noticed the oncoming train and jumped down, scooped the unconscious woman up, and delivered her to safety on the landing.

Police arrived and the woman was taken to Sunnybrook-Women?s College Health Sciences Centre with non life-threatening injuries, and authorities say she?s expected to be okay.

http://www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Story/20051105-006/page.asp

she must been drunk or something

586771292[/snapback]

i guess its good to think the worst of people first, even a 58 year old woman :no:

come on now lets think

she must been drunk or something

586771292[/snapback]

oh cmon, a 58 years old woman drunk at 4pm during rush hour .. plz quiet kid if you have nothing intelligent to say.

if that was in NYC she'd most likely be dead

I guess there are still some good people out there

586771266[/snapback]

Nah, in nyc she wouldnt have fell...she would have been pushed :p

honestly i have to somewhat agree with one of the posters above. i mean come on, it all just seems too convient. I find it suspect that a woman just happens to be so close to the edge of the platform, and she JUST happens to faint, falling over right before an oncoming train...yeah. it's possible but I honeslty wouldn't put it past people to think of ways to kill themselve and think of something like this.

either way, good deed on the 2 gents part.

Heroic? Don't think so. Any of you would have done this if it happened right infront of or near you. It's not like you are going to stay and watch.. that would be just cruel. Besides, these 2 men were the first ones to jump to help. I am sure there were more who wanted to help... but it's not like the whole frikking crowd would jump on the tracks to save one person.

051106_rosalia_desantis_250.jpg

Rosalia DeSantis, 58, hugs rescuers Theo Parusis, 25, left, and Alvaro Mejia, 26, yesterday at Sunnybrook hospital. The men jumped down and hoisted DeSantis to safety Friday after she fainted and fell onto the subway tracks at Lawrence West station. DeSantis was a little sore but unhurt.

Nov. 6, 2005. 07:11 AM

'Angels' pull woman from subway tracks

'We just got an adrenaline rush and managed to get her up'

MURRAY WHYTE

STAFF REPORTER

Rosalia DeSantis has taken the subway between her North Etobicoke home and the Lawrence West station, near her office, more times than she can count. But Friday afternoon's journey home will forever stand out.

Instead of catching the train that day, DeSantis, 58, woke up in the hospital.

"I had no idea what had happened," she said yesterday, looking a little wan, swaddled in a blanket in a wheelchair at Sunnybrook hospital.

Here's what she missed: Feeling dizzy and hot, DeSantis rushed from her bus down to the subway platform Friday just before 4 p.m.

It was there that she suddenly lost consciousness and fell head first off the platform on to the subway tracks.

Lying across the tracks, and dangerously close to the electrically charged third rail, DeSantis lay bleeding when Theo Parusis, 25, leapt down to help her.

After checking her pulse to see if she was alive, Parusis wrestled her up off the ground.

"But I was struggling," he said yesterday.

As Parusis strained to move DeSantis to safety, an approaching train rumbled into view, bearing down on them.

It was then that Alvaro Mejia, 26, dropped down to the tracks and helped Parusis hoist DeSantis out of the train's path just in time to save themselves.

"I didn't think about it. I just jumped," Mejia said.

When asked how close the train was when he came to Parusis's aid, he just smiled and said, "far enough to jump."

Nonetheless, it was a close call, Parusis said.

"When we saw the train coming, we panicked. We just got an adrenaline rush and managed to get her up in time. Five seconds later, the train passed by."

Yesterday, DeSantis, who was a little sore from her fall but otherwise unharmed, paid tribute to her rescuers.

"They're my angels," said DeSantis, a new grandmother, before posing with Parusis and Mejia for an embrace.

"It's wonderful you know there's people in the world who still care out there."

But Parusis shrugged off the notion that he had done anything extraordinary.

"I wouldn't say hero," he said.

"It's what we should all do on this planet. If we all helped each other, it would be a much better place."

Police said Parusis and Mejia will be recommended for civilian bravery citations.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...72154&t=TS_Home

I think its amazing these two saved her as they did as MOST things in public go uninterupted due to the inate bystander apathy(the "someone else will save that person" so nobody does; effect).