[WTF] Getting it on for 65 million years

Scientists find fossils getting it on for the last 65 million years

(11/4/05 - LUCKNOW, India) - This was no one-night stand. Scientists in India say they have discovered two fossils fused together in sexual union for 65 million years.

The findings were published in the October edition of the Indian journal "Current Science," which said it was the first time that sexual copulation had been discovered in a fossil state, according to the Press Trust of India news agency.

But voyeurs will need a microscope to view the eternal lovers.

The fossils are tiny swarm cells, a stage in the development of the fungus myxomycetes, also known as slime molds.

The cells reproduce by "fusing," Ranjeet Kar of the Birbal Sahni Institute of Palaeobotany in Lucknow reportedly told PTI. Once the cells fuse, long, threadlike appendages known as flagella, are lost, he said.

Finding the fossils in a fused position and with their flagella shed, is evidence that the two cells were having sex, Kar said.

"The sexual organs being delicate and the time of conjugation short lived, it is indeed rare to get this stage in the fossil state," the study said.

The cells were discovered in a 30-foot deep dry well in the state of Madhya Pradesh.

Source

Yeah, so what if they were just fossilized fungi. :laugh:

holy cow this is insane!!

65M years!!

I don't get it, what's so impressive? :huh:

This would be more funny if they were like... not fossilized

But I don't really go "whoa, that guy has been nude for 1000 years!" when seeing a nude statue either.

I wonder what the record for the longest sex act among two organisms is?

I mean, where they have sex and aren't dead.