Boycotting Coca-Cola

Is it right for my university to boycott Coca-Cola products?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Is it right for my university to boycott Coca-Cola products?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

My university has decided to boycott all Coca-Cola products throughout all campuses because of their human rights violations (google it). Whilst I can understand why they're doing that, at the same time isn't it unfair to the people who just want to enjoy their drink and don't care about what happens in third world countries?

They've now taken away the coke machine, eternal source of caffeine and sugar during these - far too frequent - all-nighters...

What are your opinions on this? Is the Student's Union right in doing this?

I suppose its up to the university what pop machines they keep around.

That being said, I could never give up coke, what would I drink? Pepsi? Might as well just drink water.

Then again, Coca Cola allegedly funds right-wing paramilitary groups to go murder trade unionists, and in fact union leaders all over Columbia (and apparently India as well).

Sounds a bit overboard to me. I can understand removal of soft drinks from primary schools for health concerns...but not from a university campus as a protest to human rights.

I guess if you need a sugar craving...plan ahead and pack your own :p

Here in Ottawa, both our major universities have major contracts with Coca-Cola. I don't drink a lot of pop but I much prefer to drink Pepsi. I don't like the fact you can't buy it anywhere on campus,

And besides, there are no-name labels that taste as good - or better - than the brand name stuff and its a fraction of the cost. Why can't they put that in the machines? I hate to think there is a collusion of business interests (money) and free-will. Funny, I thought those were the same principles you were supposed to learn at university!

If they don't want Coca-Cola, they don't have to have it. No big deal.

Like said, no-name stuff is just as good. However, I prefer Coke a lot more to Pepsi, so I'm glad that Ottawa universities have Coke.

My university does the same thing. They signed a worse contract with Pepsi just because of their ethics. I just go off campus and get Coke. Pepsi is fine but I prefer Coke.

In my opinion, school has every right to decide what to sell and what not in campus, but they can't actually stop students from purchasing certain drinks. Maybe you can find ways to smuggle coke into campus?

Afterall, I can't really tell difference between Coca-Cola and Pepsi unlike those with "delicate tongues", so I wouldn't get upset as long as any kind of soft drink is available for me.

My university has decided to boycott all Coca-Cola products throughout all campuses because of their human rights violations (google it). Whilst I can understand why they're doing that, at the same time isn't it unfair to the people who just want to enjoy their drink and don't care about what happens in third world countries?

They've now taken away the coke machine, eternal source of caffeine and sugar during these - far too frequent - all-nighters...

What are your opinions on this? Is the Student's Union right in doing this?

586811236[/snapback]

Are they blocking all chinese food? Seems China has a bigger human rights issue than coke could in a lifetime.

Are they blocking all chinese food?  Seems China has a bigger human rights issue than coke could in a lifetime.

586813379[/snapback]

I really doubt eating Chinese food will benefit Chinese government financially. In other words, boycotting Coca-Cola product will directly hurt the company itself, but boycotting Chinese food will only hurt the restaurant and not China government.

I really doubt eating Chinese food will benefit Chinese government financially. In other words, boycotting Coca-Cola product will directly hurt the company itself, but boycotting Chinese food will only hurt the restaurant and not China government.

586813403[/snapback]

I was merely trying to point out how silly the whole thing is. Coke drinkers are going to drink Coke. They'll buy it at a store.

Its up to the university what they sell on campus unfortuantley. Why not just buy some of campus and carry it around with you? I always found drinking the stuff from the machines, combined with the indoor lighting and hours behind pc monitors and in lectures just gave me bad headaches. Drinking water helped me feel much better and focus. For all nighters Red Bull is your friend. :p

Well, the university owns the property on which the drinks are sold, so they can choose to not sell them. No-one's stopping you from having your own Coke bought off-campus.

To clear the confusion, it wasn't the university that decided not to sell it any more, it was the student's union. But I never heard of the motion until it was applied!

Okay... I gotta ask, has boycotting anything ever worked before?

And this being post 19th century!

If you want to boycott something, boycott oil and gas!

586817347[/snapback]

how about the civil rights movement in the us where the bus systems were boycotted?

as for the coke issue, while it may be unfair to you, they control the university. that doesn't mean you can't buy coke elsewhere or drink something else (like water, which is better for you anyway). there are more important things to be upset about and rebel against, i believe.

While it sounds like it was done with the best intentions, really, who gives a crap? It's just a drink. If we boycotted companies for every bad thing they did, we'd be without, well, nearly anything. All companies have some sort of skeleton in the closet, so to speak. It's when the bad a company does overwhelms the good that problems arise.

as for the coke issue, while it may be unfair to you, they control the university. that doesn't mean you can't buy coke elsewhere or drink something else (like water, which is better for you anyway). there are more important things to be upset about and rebel against, i believe.

586817916[/snapback]

To be perfectly honest I almost never drink any coke - only in cocktails (mmm JD and coke...) which at the moment I'm afraid there aren't many around...

The situation just made me realise the power of the student union, so I thought it would be interesting to have a discussion on the matter!

I've never really rebelled against anything weirdly enough. My attitude to life is "it's there for a reason, and if it's not, oh well."