Neowin's Official Sony DRM/Rootkit Discussion

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 vetbangbang023

bangbang023

Silent Veteran

• 36,192 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 22:55

This is to be the only thread about the Sony Rootkit issues.

List of Affected Albums

From here:

Sony BMG will have a big job ahead of it as it tries to replace all copies of controversial copy protection software, according to a computer security expert, who says that he has evidence there are more than 500,000 versions of the program installed worldwide.

From here:

Yet more on the Sony/BMG rookit fiasco: Princeton professor Ed Felten over at Freedom to Tinker now claims the DRM's uninstaller opens up a security hole of its own. Sony/BMG stated they'd be removing the impacted CDs from store shelves yesterday, and released a statement saying they'd exchange affected CDs for DRM free versions. "Sony BMG deeply regrets any inconvenience to our customers and remains committed to providing an enjoyable and safe music experience," states the company.

From here:

The spyware that Sony installs on the computers of music fans does not even seem to be correct in terms of copyright law.
This software is licensed under the so called Lesser Gnu Public License (LGPL). According to this license Sony must comply with a couple of demands. Amongst others, they have to indicate in a copyright notice that they make use of the software. The company must also deliver the source code to the open-source libraries or otherwise make these available. And finally, they must deliver or otherwise make available the in between form between source code and executable code, the so called objectfiles, with which others can make comparable software.

Please add more news stories as posts inside this thread only. All other Sony DRM threads have been closed.

#2 todd

todd

Linux Hobbyist

• 2,356 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 23:29

I guess it's nice that there's a single thread for this now. I came to Neowin today only to see 3 or 4 new articles about the Sony rootkit.

#3 Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

• 7,436 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 01:38

I swear after all this fiasco I'm not getting any of the Sony equipment, period! I am buying a crap load of hi-fi and video equipment for my new house and after this I'm not gonna give these losers a cent. This thing just cost them around $15k of revenue just from me. It might sound funny but I'm pretty certain that they will lose quite a bit of sales from people like me (techies with a good paycheck that liked Sony products once used them throughout generations). Who knows what they might be implementing in their TVs, audio/video receivers, cd players etc.

It's ridiculous. Who is running the show there. No wonder movie studios and other leeches are sticking with Sony solutions for PS3. I guarantee some kind of spyware being present on PS3.

#4 vetPink Floyd

Pink Floyd

Neowinian Senior

• 13,254 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 02:15

dunno but I think sony will have to replace all cds since not everybody know about microsoft antispyware to remove the rootkit
wow they will have to pay a lof for this "error"

#5 webeagle12

webeagle12

Neowinian Senior

• 7,238 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 02:39

After rootkit uninstalls, it creates security hole in windows :pinch:

suprise, suprise

#6 Simon-

Simon-

Neowinian Senior

• 10,724 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 02:41

Why have this all in one thread? this is crazy, what if there is a new article or update about it and it gets missed because it's going to be buried in a 100+ page thread.

#7 OP vetbangbang023

bangbang023

Silent Veteran

• 36,192 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 02:42

Why have this all in one thread? this is crazy, what if there is a new article or update about it and it gets missed because it's going to be buried in a 100+ page thread.

View Post

Because staffed deemed it so.

#8 sdb815

sdb815

I'm always hungry.

• 3,584 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 03:13

Looks like they are finally going to recall the infected CDs. It's about damn time. :crazy:

Record label Sony BMG Music Entertainment said Tuesday that it will recall millions of CDs that, if played in a consumer's PC disc drive, will expose the computer to serious security risks.

Source

#9 chrisgeleven

chrisgeleven

Neowinian

• 1,036 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5 running iOS 7.1

Posted 16 November 2005 - 03:17

Question is what do they do about the thousands of infected computers?

#10 OP vetbangbang023

bangbang023

Silent Veteran

• 36,192 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 03:45

Looks like they are finally going to recall the infected CDs. It's about damn time.  :crazy:
Source

View Post

Considering just last week, they didn't seem the slightest bit concerned, it's pretty funny to see such a quick change of heart.

#11 llbbl

llbbl

Neowinian

• 890 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 05:07

why is the list of albumns affected thread closed?

I wanted to post there that the list / link to the website idiotabroad.com or whatever wasn't the FIRST person to discover how to get a list of albumns affected. Xtracto on /. was the first person I believe.

http://slashdot.org/.../journal/121088

It is basically a google search of the amazon site.

http://www.google.co...e...D]"&num=100

I am sure where that is where idiotabroad guy got his info from since it was like 10 days after xtracto made his post.

#12 viciv

viciv

Neowinian Senior

• 1,575 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 05:12

i heard that some people have started to boycott sony products..

#13 RudyJ

RudyJ

6EQUJ5? That was me!

• 364 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 16:18

Any company that has Celine Dion on its payroll should be boycotted by default, rootkit crap or not. :ninja:

#14 E t h a n

E t h a n

• 3,333 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 19:10

Oh, so this is where the Sony threads have been merged! I thought at first that the mods were trying to bury criticism of Sony on this key issue when they closed left and right several threads, but now I see this is not the case.

Frankly I'm heartened by the criticism Sony has come under. I'm all for their protecting their right to control their products, but they really crossed the line by destabilising computers (there is no other word for it) and rendering them more prone to viruses and other horrorwares. That's just not on.

I am boycotting Sony CDs and their other products. This isn't easy as they have bands I like, but I'm not going to give in for at least a year (or if meantime they do something significant to apologise and make amends for the grave attack on people's privacy and security).

:cat: :cat: :cat: :jump: :fun: :santa: :santa: :fun: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat:

#15 Ferret

Ferret

Neowinian Senior

• 4,664 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 19:20

I don't think I have many, if any, Sony product's in my house, I have always managed to find cheaper alturnative's... And i've never bought a SonyBMG CD either, so i've never been affected by these issue's ;)