Smoker tried to open airliner door

BRISBANE, Australia (AP) -- A French woman who is terrified of flying admitted in an Australian court Monday that she drunkenly tried to open an airplane door mid-flight to smoke a cigarette

She walked toward one of the aircraft's emergency exits with an unlit cigarette and a lighter in her hand and began tampering with the door, prosecutors said. But a flight attendant intervened and took Sellies back to her seat.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/11/2...t.ap/index.html

:omg: i'd say didn't she know better but drunk people know better and yet they still drive.

OMG that is just dumb.

Hmm wonder how hard it would be to open the door anyway I?d assume it would have something to make it hard or impossible to open in flight ?

umm plane wouldnt crash but other people could get sucked out too

586837998[/snapback]

Doors on most modern aircraft are plug-type so the air pressure inside the cabin would hold the door in place and prevent anyone actually opening a door in flight. Its therefore unlikely she could have caused an accident in this situation. :pinch:

I thought they don't let people who are drunk on planes?? Even if she got drunk on the plane.. the airline should not have given her that many to drink...

586837999[/snapback]

If she was in first class they dont really limit you

If she was in first class they dont really limit you

586838038[/snapback]

If thats the case, they really should... Drunken people on an airplane is a big security risk... We all know alcohol makes some people completely unreasonable and/or violent :/