Teen dies in 15-storey plunge

Teen dies in 15-storey plunge

Nov. 27, 2005. 07:22 AM

SCOTT ROBERTS AND ISABEL TEOTONIO

STAFF REPORTERS

A teen visiting a friend's apartment plunged to his death last night after he tried to climb down from a 15th-floor window using tied bedsheets when her parents came home unexpectedly. Scott Roberts and Isabel Teotonio report.

Paramedics arrived at the building on Cougar Ct., near Markham Rd. and Eglinton Ave., after 7 p.m. to find the boy's body splayed on the concrete. The boy, whose identity was not revealed Saturday night, died on impact.

"It appears the boy was trying to scale down the side of the building," said Det. Shawn Mahoney of 42 Division. "We're still trying to determine why he was doing that."

Police said the victim and another male were visiting the teenaged girl when the tragedy occurred. When her parents arrived, they panicked and the boys tied bedsheets together in an attempt to escape. The second boy and girl were unharmed.

Police said it was too early in the investigation to determine if any charges would be laid.

"This is tragic," said a neighbour of the girl, adding she believed the trio all attend the same high school. "This is really, really sad. The family is very decent, very hard-working and those are really good kids."

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...id=968332188492

natural selection at work. If the fall would not have killed him, the father would have. I did not read the article but should the building have had a fire escape? I thought that most building had to have them.

they were having a three-some, of course the guys wanted to get the hell out of there as fast as possible...you know what fathers do to boys who are having threesomes with their teenage daughters??? :rofl:

in all seriousness, I think we can write this one up to another case of 'thinning the herd'. climbing down 15 stories with tied bedsheets? :pinch:

I have to agree, it's retarded, even attempting that and thinking it'd work, maybe they should sue spiderman! Or the oldschool batman!

Damn tho he couldn't have been in THAT much trouble if he was caught.

Tragic? I guess, but for who? maybe the parents of the deceased because they're the ones suffering.

I personally know the kid that died. Although I do feelbad (and shocked) that he passed away, I can't help but remmeber what a bad kid he was. He was one of those rude teens who thought he was "gangsta". I was talking to my friend's mom about the death and she said he heard the kid talking to his friends on the bus about hurting a girl one day and she called the girls parents and told them that. luckyl nothing happened to the girl. and he was a really mouthy kid too.

But yeah I was completely shocked to hear this. Its gonna be so surreal going to his funeral. The first death of a person I actually knew and saw a lot. and btw, that wasn't his girl's house he was at, he was cheating on his girlfriend. his girl lives in a lowrise building, 5 floors.

they were having a three-some, of course the guys wanted to get the hell out of there as fast as possible...you know what fathers do to boys who are having threesomes with their teenage daughters???  :rofl:

in all seriousness, I think we can write this one up to another case of 'thinning the herd'.  climbing down 15 stories with tied bedsheets?  :pinch:

586860709[/snapback]

tsk tsk tsk. he's dead. it is not a very good things to talk about the dead. feel sorry for him.

A slight update:

Fearing discovery, teen falls to death

Teen visited girl when parents out

Nov. 28, 2005. 06:33 AM

TRACY HUFFMAN

CRIME REPORTER

A sudden, tragic decision cost a 16-year-old boy his life when he decided to try to lower himself out a 15th-floor apartment with bedsheets to avoid punishment by a female friend's parents.

The boy, who is not being identified by police, didn't want to get in trouble for visiting a girl while her parents weren't home Saturday evening.

"They weren't doing anything wrong. There was no illegal activity, no drugs, no alcohol. They were just hanging out," said Det. Steve Peconi.

While the girl's parents were knocking on the door at the apartment at 15 Cougar Court near Markham Rd. and Eglinton Ave. E., the boy and another friend tied bedsheets and started to make their way out a 15th-floor bedroom window.

Within moments, one boy plummeted to the ground and was fatally injured. The other was not harmed.

"They are good kids from good families. They just made a very bad choice," said Peconi.

The incident is a true tragedy, he added, his voice breaking.

Neighbours said the girl lives with her parents and a brother in the corner unit. The parents are strict with their teenaged children, a neighbour said.

Yesterday, the girl's mother said when she and her husband arrived home about 7:30 p.m. the deadbolt was on the door.

"I knew my daughter was in here. I was banging the door, yelling and screaming and no one is opening the door. So I went and called the super," said the mother, who refused to give her name.

When the superintendent couldn't open the door, the mother phoned the police.

The woman said she has talked to her daughter about the incident but declined to speak about it any further.

Divya Garg, 19, and her mother live on the same floor and were walking back from shopping when they heard a scream.

"We were not sure what was happening, but suddenly three or four feet from us something fell," said Garg.

"I ran near, and I saw that it was a person. So I immediately called 911 to tell them someone had fallen off," Garg said.

Garg and her mother stayed with the boy until police arrived.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...id=968350130169

Damn that sucks.  Kids watching to many movies...getting stupid ideas these days.

586860714[/snapback]

Amen to that!

Very sad story though... glad to hear that no one else got hurt.

i've seen maybe 3 or 5 ten death stories today alone.  why are there so many accidental or non-accidental teen deaths these days?

586860731[/snapback]

**** happens.

and I think that was stupid of them to even try that.

ahahah

a few years bac i seen this guy,

in a suit,

jumping off a building 5 storys high,

onto a pine tree,

the top of the pine tree bent,

the guy landed on the road sofly and went to work

so funny

natural selection at work.  If the fall would not have killed him, the father would have.  I did not read the article but should the building have had a fire escape? I thought that most building had to have them.

586860726[/snapback]

I've never been an apartment dweller but I think that only low-rise buildings have an exterior fire escape. Most high rises (and this building was at least 15 floors) have internal stairwells with fire-proof doors.