Grub error 22

I've just reproduced this with an Ubuntu live CD and it allows me to browse to the user home directory, read and copy the files with the ubuntu default permissions...

hmm...well, i didn't work for me! perhaps wubi is set up different on mine...i don't know!

If it doesn't allow you to read the files you could always run the file browser as root, by running the command:

"gksu nautilus"

Alternatively you can use terminal to copy your files by using the "cp" command. Do "man cp" to get more details on how the command works.

ok...thanks!

I cannot give you more details on how to fix your Wubi install than those that are available in the pages that I've referenced to you before. This issue never happened to me, so I wouldn't know how to go about fixing it. Maybe try to fscheck the other image "usr.disk", checking the boot options from grub, reinstalling grub. Just guesses here...

If I were you I would, after recovering my files, uninstall Wubi from Windows and make a fresh Ubuntu install using the Ubuntu CD.

alright...ok, cool! i'm currently working at getting the problem solved on ubuntu forums...hopefully someone can come up with a fix for the crc error...but if they don't, then i will indeed uninstall Wubi, and probably reinstall Ubuntu the conventional way, i.e. on a different partition, so i wont get the same problem again!

Thanks for all ur help! i really appreciate it!!

Cheers! :D

hmm...well, i didn't work for me! perhaps wubi is set up different on mine...i don't know!

No. Wubi has nothing to do with filesystem permission. Anyway, the solution was provided.

Just a quick question, have you by now managed to recover your files...?

alright...ok, cool! i'm currently working at getting the problem solved on ubuntu forums...hopefully someone can come up with a fix for the crc error...but if they don't, then i will indeed uninstall Wubi, and probably reinstall Ubuntu the conventional way, i.e. on a different partition, so i wont get the same problem again!

Thanks for all ur help! i really appreciate it!!

Good luck in doing that. Also may I ask why you would insist in recover instead of a 15min install of Ubuntu with the CD?

No. Wubi has nothing to do with filesystem permission. Anyway, the solution was provided.

Just a quick question, have you by now managed to recover your files...?

not yet, because i haven't yet tried it!!! :no: i've been doing other stuff on my computer, and so have not yet tried it!

Cheers, though! i WILL!

Good luck in doing that. Also may I ask why you would insist in recover instead of a 15min install of Ubuntu with the CD?

ok...two reasons! the first is simply because i have a feeling that this particular problem might happen again, even after a fresh install, and so i would really like to get a solution to the crc error, not just "uninstall and reinstall wubi", which is the kind of answer i've been getting all over...not just here! the second is, it seems lame to me that no one, it appears, has come up with a REAL solution to the problem, despite the fact that its a VERY common issue on wubi...and so i was hoping to prompt people to work on it, and actually SOLVE it, not just tell the users who it happens to: "just reinstall wubi"!!!

I hope this answers ur question, and if it doesn't, looking forward to hearing from u again...

Coolname007

P.S. i'll let u know whether or not the solution for getting my files out of ubuntu and into Windows works!!! Cheers! :D

and so i was hoping to prompt people to work on it, and actually SOLVE it, not just tell the users who it happens to: "just reinstall wubi"!!!

Well then the best solution for that is for you to make a bug report to the Wubi project, not go about asking people on a forum to fix it. There's limits to what those people can do.

P.S. i'll let u know whether or not the solution for getting my files out of ubuntu and into Windows works!!! Cheers! :D

You've already mounted the image, you just need to know how to copy your files. And that is already explained to you in previous posts.

Well then the best solution for that is for you to make a bug report to the Wubi project, not go about asking people on a forum to fix it. There's limits to what those people can do.

good idea!!! i'll probably do that as well!

You've already mounted the image, you just need to know how to copy your files. And that is already explained to you in previous posts.

uhh...lechio??? i wasn't asking a question when i said that...i was making a statement!!! of course i now know (thanks to u!) how to mount the partition, and also to copy files as root user...i was just simply saying that i would try it, and let u know if it worked or not!!!

which i will now proceed to go do now...

ok, lechio...it WORKED!!! now i have successfully backed up my files into Windows, and can discard wubi, if no one comes up with a fix to the crc error!

Thanks for all ur help!!! i have decided that i'm going to post here as well as other places the COMPLETE process of mounting a failed wubi system, using a LiveCD, and recovering ur files! no need for anyone else that has the same problem to have so much difficulty in mounting their OS, and recovering their files!

Cheers! :)

Ok...so here is the COMPLETE process of mounting ur Windows partition, using a Ubuntu Desktop CD (or any other LiveCD!), and recovering ur files:

sudo mkdir /win
sudo mount /dev/sda3 /win

Note: the “sda3” should be replaced (if not correct) with the correct partition that Windows is installed on! It was “sda3” in my case, and would probably be the same for most Vista users, but the person should check first to see if it is the correct partition. In my case, I had to automount the OS by going to Places>OS, and then opening up a terminal, ran “df” which showed me which partition the OS was on. If anyone wants to verify that I know what I’m talking about, here is the Wubi Guide, in which can be found the same basic instructions, only in it they advise u to use “sda1” (which didn’t work for me, as Windows was on sda3). It also doesn’t describe how to recover ur files…which is why I’m typing this right now!

Ok…time to mount the virtual disk!!!

sudo mkdir /vdisk 
sudo mount -o loop/win/ubuntu/disks/root.disk /vdisk

Now the content of the virtual disk can be viewed by simply opening up a file browser (Places>Computer>) and steering to the folder called “vdisk”, after first, of course, opening up the file system! Now simply (once inside of “vdisk”), go to “Home”, and there u will find all ur important documents and files stored neatly inside of there (that is, of course, if when u had ubuntu working ok, u saved ur work in ur Home folder!).

You can also try running a filesystem check (even though it didn’t fix the problem, in my case…who knows! Maybe you’ll have better luck!):

sudo fsck /win/ubuntu/disks/root.disk

For me, all this did was recovered a “journal”, after which it said that the disk was “clean”…but when I tried booting into ubuntu, I still got the same crc error! But u should still try running it, just to wrap up all loose ends, and to make sure that u did all that u could to fix the error!

Oh, and one more thing! Before u can copy ur files from ur ubuntu disk into Windows, or whatever ur main OS is, u will first have to run the following:

gksu nautilus

This command simply opens up the file browser as a root (administrator) user, so u can read and write the files that r therein! An alternative way to to copy files (using the Terminal) is:

cp

This is simply another method of copying!

Hope all this info helps somebody, and helps them to rescue their important files that r in their failed ubuntu! :)

Edited by Coolname007

Hey, thanks for taking the time to type up the process you went through, and hope this helps the next person that runs into the same problem. (Y)

Thanks, also, to Lechio, who had the perseverance to see this to a successful conclusion.

Hey, thanks for taking the time to type up the process you went through, and hope this helps the next person that runs into the same problem. (Y)

Thanks, also, to Lechio, who had the perseverance to see this to a successful conclusion.

no problem!!! :D

i'll second that thanks to Lechio...even though i think i already thanked him! hahaha (i'm sure it wouldn't hurt to thank him again!)

Thanks, lechio!!! :trout:

Edited by Coolname007