Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

A Neowin Guide to Linux Distributions

212 posts in this topic

Posted

A Neowin Guide to Linux Distributions v1.6.1

Here shall serve as a guide and reference to the most popular and user friendly distros currently on offer to the Linux community. This reference is the collective work of the neowin community and shall be an on going project. What you see here will be subject to change as we revise and update where needed. If you would like to contribute to the cause get in contact with me (Keldyn) or Configure (our Linux Moderator) so we can include your contribution and ensure you are given due credit.
First of all, Linux, unlike Microsoft Operating Systems are available in many different flavors.
No one Linux is the same.

Since Linux is free (as in beer) to obtain and modify, its development has progressed in the form of multiple

1 person likes this

Posted

Nice job Keldyn ;)

I will compile some min-HOWTOs or tutorials when I get some time :)

-Hatter

Posted

Nicely Written Out Keldyn, Good Work :)

Posted

Added TurboLinux, Gentoo Linux, and a link to LinuxISO to the list.

Added Lycoris Desktop/LX

Posted

under SuSE:

Linux distributions can vary significantly in their focus and application base. They all have one thing in common however. The Linux kernel powers each Linux distribution and choosing the right one for you will depend on how you like to use your computer.

If you intend to use Linux for desktop productivity, Red Hat, mandrake, Caldera, & SuSE are probably for you. If you intend to deploy Linux into a non graphical, server type environment than Red hat, Debian and Slackware make good choices. For those who want to accelerate to the realm of Linux hackerdom, you will need Debian or Slackware to get you there! ;)

seems like you forget to move that to the bottom, configure :D

anyway, great job, keldyn, configure & co!

Posted

Fixed ;)

Posted

Damn it makes me feel good when you say Debian is prettymuch for Hardcore Linux users :D

My first taste of Linux was Red Hat and Mandrake and it was alright but I was unable to really get into Linux because I couldn't find out how it worked through all the crap that especially Mandrake installs (being a Linux n00b I would just go and install every package). I now run Debian on my server and my PC and there is no turning back. I found that being forced to learn Linux from scratch with Debian is the best way to learn how to use Linux to its full potential.

Posted

Nice post Xe|oN. I'm going to install Debian. Not really a noob, but wanting to understand linux to the fullest. Slackware has been a bitch to figure and has really helped me to understand linux alot better, but is getting on my nerves with not that much package support for various usefull shell commands.

I would say LINUXCONF is the best tool in the world for linux.

You guys should add TOMSRTBT. It's a kick ass 1 floppy linux distro that can do most everything. It is also great for if you crashed your system and need to get into it.

You can also hack NTFS partitions since all you have to do is boot to the floppy and mount an NTFS volume. I use that at work for people that screw their Win2000 machines and need to get files from the NTFS partitions.

Posted

I'm using Gentoo Linux and I love it... soo much easier than Windows once you get everything going. I never have to look on the net for a download, everything is right here for me in portage.

Posted

I'm new to the Linux community and after installing Slackware in Unix 2 class the other night, I was blown away. (I even installed my first program AOL IM, without any help from anyone while using the command line. Made me feel really good to try something other than Windows)

Judging by the article and my preferences/recommendations, I think I'm going to set up partitions for Red Hat, Suse, Slackware, and Lycoris Desktop/LX to look at. I'll see which one is comfortable for me and go from there.

Posted

Is this the bootable, eval version (running from the CD), or an installable version?

Posted

nice, i always wanted a page that had a nice summary like that!

Posted

Nice Writeup, now I have a thread to refer n00bs to.. :D

Posted

You guys are the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D

anita, a future Linux user

Posted

I'm glad some people found this guide useful. :)

Posted

I was just wondering, I want to understand the full potentiel of Linux. With RedHat8.0, it's almost like another windows to me and I don't want that. Do you think Slackware will do the job? Currently I have RH but I'm planning to re-install without Xwindow and I don't need the GUI and stuff so I get rid of that too, right? Will RH still install without Xwindow, GNOME and KDE?

Do you think that'll help me learn Linux better if I did one of those (Slack or no Xwindow RH)?

Posted

Yes, if you want to dig deeper in linux, other distro's like Slackware and Debian are probably the way to go..

as for Red Hat, yes, you can install it with just the console (no Xwin/KDE/Gnome/etc..), just don't choose them during the installation.

Posted

Will RH still install without Xwindow, GNOME and KDE?

Yes, you can. You should see that option during the installtion.

Do you think that'll help me learn Linux better if I did one of those (Slack or no Xwindow RH)?

Yes, as always! I think, you should give the different Linux distro a try to see which you like the best. Go ahead to give Slackware, Gentoo Linux, Debian and etc a try. They aren't going to bite you.

Posted

Alright thanks for those great tips! I'm going to try the bare-bones RH first as I don't have slack yet. If it works out great for me than I'll try Slackware some other time. If it doesn't than I'll try to get Slack as soon as possible but first, I'll give RedHat a shot like that.

Posted

must say i like debian very much havent used on my pc yet but the xbox version is great... finally understanding linux better now...

started on

mandrake - i had no clue whats going on in there

redhat - could get the internet working and could install .rpms :)

debian - installed kde3.1 loads of apps and it looks damn good with kde

Posted

I have Red Hat 7.3 on CD, and I was about to install it onto my system until I found out 8.0 was released. My question is, what is the difference between 7.3 and 8.0. I don't want to re-download three ISOs just for little changes.

Posted

well,

a much nicer gui + blue curve.

and very very nice font rendering.

Posted

does anyone know of a distrobution that will install straight onto my hpt372 raid array without any messign about please ?

Posted

Try knoppix, you can run it off a cd; meaning it won't even touch your harddrive. Load times will be a bit long tho. ;)