Windows XP x64 Uxtheme Patch

Question

^ Sorry if it deletes the wrong place. It works for me on a fresh install, I assumed it would be the same for other machines.

About the sounds - I can't stand them so my batch file deletes them for me when I install, in order to save some clicks. Notice how the lines are REM'd out so they won't do anything to your machine ;)

The **** dont work! :angry:

I can assure you it does.

The only installation steps I do are to extract the dll and batch file somewhere (keeping them in the same folder) and run the batch file. Click cancel on the dialog which will pop up after a few seconds. Then reboot.

That is exactly what I do on a fresh install, maybe your install has something different going on?

Does themes also requred to be 64bit ?

sorry, after applying patch, all themes just show black n white, except Windows default theme!

i tried uxpatcher 5.0, neowin uxpatcher 4.0, and everything else i could find, i didnt want to run stylexp because i like to keep unneccesary software to a minimum (and its interface is just plain ugly). after nothing worked i installed stylexp, copied the uxtheme.dll from the system32 and syswow64 folders, uninstalled it and replaced the files with the ones i had copied.

Seems to be working for now.

heres my version of x64

aboutwin.png

feel free to try the files i have and let me know if it works:

x64uxTheme.zip

i tried uxpatcher 5.0, neowin uxpatcher 4.0, and everything else i could find, i didnt want to run stylexp because i like to keep unneccesary software to a minimum (and its interface is just plain ugly). after nothing worked i installed stylexp, copied the uxtheme.dll from the system32 and syswow64 folders, uninstalled it and replaced the files with the ones i had copied.

Seems to be working for now.

heres my version of x64

aboutwin.png

feel free to try the files i have and let me know if it works:

x64uxTheme.zip

ok so that didnt work after i restarted...

but i did get it to work eventually, i replaced the file on my webserver with the new one x64uxTheme.zip

YOU HAVE TO DO IT IN SAFE MODE!!! or it wont work... theres also a utility to disable file protection (not sure if its required... but i turned it off anyway)

I gather that this installer doesn't quite work.. to install uxtheme (modified, for x64):

1. reboot in safe mode

2. rename C:\WINDOWS\system32\uxtheme.dll to C:\WINDOWS\system32\uxtheme.old

3. copy modified uxtheme.dll (just extract the dll from this archive, ditch the installer) to system32 (there's also a uxtheme.dll in C:\WINDOWS\syswow64\, I don't think it's a good idea to touch this one)

4. restart normally and viola, navigate to deviantart.com visual styles and hack that shell

(one should know already but, to add visual styles; one must copy a .msstyles/.theme file to C:\WINDOWS\resources\themes\ and double click the .msstyle or .theme to activate it after files are placed in ...\themes\ ..don't forget to install the required fonts and such also)

theres also a utility to disable file protection (not sure if its required... but i turned it off anyway)

I left the file protection utility untouched, in safe mode it appears windows won't complain

Edited by fiziks