It All worked beautifully, until a few days ago.

Question

Specs:

Windows XP Pro x64 edition

DFI LanpartyUT nF4 SLI-DR

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice

2x 512mb OCZ EL DDR PC-3200 Gold VX

nVidia Geforce 6600GT

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 160GB NCQ SATA HDD

Antec Truepower 2.0 480W

Ok. So Everything was working perfectly, but I messed up my visual studio install, uninstalled it, and reinstalled it, but the install failed. Long story short, I reformatted.

I reformat, install my chipset drivers (nForce4 AMD x64), reboot, install the graphics drivers (x64, of course), and then run windows update.

I get bored, so I installed winamp.

When winamp got to the last second or two of any song, it would freeze up, and my computer would freeze up with it. The mouse would become choppy, like, to the point where I'd move the mouse and wait 5-10 seconds to see it move. In about 60 seconds, it normally unfroze, but if I was able to get my mouse on the stop button, and click, I could stop it, and the freezing would end. Or, If I could get the run dialog up and 'tskill winamp'.

So I reformatted again, in the hopes that something went wrong during the last install. No such luck on my part. But I figured I'd live with it, and installed a few games.

those froze too. First, Dungeon Siege 2. During loading screens, froze up my computer. Also, when the I paused the game, I got the choppy mouse-system unusable effect. If I hit the space bar to unfreeze the computer earlier enough in the freeze, it would unpause the game and my computer would instantly return to normal, just like winamp.

However, I can't even get Dungeon Siege 2 to get as far as gameplay anymore. I think the first time was a fluke.

Neverwinter Nights has the same issue. It works fine for a few areas, then, on like the 3rd or 4th area transition, simply freezes up. (Same kind of freeze as winamp)

Let me make it clear: Everything worked before under x64! I have no idea what could possibly be wrong! I'm not overclocking, I pass memtest/prime95, my temps are perfect, I haven't changed any hardware.

6 answers to this question

Well, the winamp one is a no brainer, I don't think winamp will even work properly without the audio device present (I couldn't play a video on my laptop when the audio drivers weren't installed)

But I suppose I'll try it with the games later.

Can you use a PCI soundcard that you can borrow from someone? Try that and disable the onboard sound. Also, try shutting off all the serial ports (if they exist) and anything else you don't need.

have u installed the latest driver of ac97 sound driver from www.dfi.com.tw

try updating it.

and if u did but the prob still remains, then its better to use a pci soundcard like soundblaster audigy. its cheap nowdays.