screenshots & site load

has anyone checked out the outgoing traffic?

?log=neowin.htwebserver.com&png=daily

it was over 3 MB, wow, anyways, its really slowing things down with all of the sceenshots that are posted on the front page

yep, i noticed that and PM'ed Redmak.

the screens of MSN 8 total up to almost 2 MB. with 200-300 people on at a time and 15000 total users and many guests, this could be the cause of the server probs.

ever since the screens were posted, the server's been sluggish. i suggest the screens should be posted on a site like tripod.co.uk or a different server.

I agree here.

I am not trying to be rude or mean, but the admin is trying to reduce server load, yet they host screenshots that are gonna be viewed by many. Now that is kinda rhetorical, don't you think? I agree w/ username, let's host the images on a different server so the main server is not under so much load.

i also agree with all alegation presented here

the site is now really slow and those screenshots are the cause

i wonder when is this all gonna stop and neowin will be back to normal

the site load speaks for itself:

6.93 8.24 8.20

which is it gonna be? exclusive news/screenshots or speedy forums? obviously unless a new server is purchased it will either be one or the other. my two cents

Originally posted by JHAres

Ok... but who gonna pay the host for the pictures... anyone of you...??? ;)

actually the pictures can be hosted on a number of free websites devoted to just that purpose. :)

We can also stop posting altogether and save server load.

I'm sorry but its difficult to cut back on what makes Neowin great in the first place. this problem is distressing, even more so that our visitors feel responsible for our server load when this simply shouldn't be.. lol

We appreciate it really - I can't really say much more than that we are working together wih our host to make things better for the long term. We have to be able to continue at some point to do what we do best, this won't happen if we start pulling more from the site to allow people on to a site that doesn't deliver the goods anymore.

Even admin get the "Server busy" message and I can tell you, as co-creator of Neowin I don't take too kindly to these messages when I am trying to post news or forum posts.