how to pronounce "Newfoundland"?

What about New-found-land?

Edit: Found this: "Newfoundland is pronounced by Newfoundlanders as new-fin-land or new-fun-land and take exception to it being pronounced with the last syllable slurred, (as new-found-l'nd)."

So I guess either way is fine.

New-fund-land I think.

I think residents don't pronounce the 'd' too much either (I'm not sure though).

Most people pronounce it like that, but I don't think residents do (or so I've heard).

noooo! Don't ever make that mistake, they'll hang you there!!!

For some reason, they don't pronounce it New-FOUND-land. In fact, they make fun of anyone who does!

My aunt lives in Montreal and she's been to Newfinny yesterday and everytime she pronounced it New-found-land when she was on the phone with my mom, people around her giggled!

Edited by _sphinx_

Well this thread will save some embarrassment if I ever go there then :D I mean, you never know...

lol...if you can get by the thick accent some Newfoundlanders have

I love to hear people try to say it :p it's New-Fin-Land, I have relitives from there and that's how they say, here's one Dartmouth, how do u say that:P

it's pronounced Dart-myth, and Dartmouth is in Novascotia

People in Saskatchewan (where I am) pronounce it New-Found-Land. However newfies pronounce it New-Fund-L'nd. This is partially because its full of drunk irish/scottish inbreds (j/k). Seriously, its pronounced differently there because of their accents. You'll also notice everyone there pronounce their "r"'s really hard (k-air instead of car).

why can't you just speak normal englsh like the rest of the world??!!

Cause then it'd be a boring world.....plus we'd have no one to make fun of

here's one Dartmouth, how do u say that:P

it's pronounced Dart-myth, and Dartmouth is in Novascotia

Like many American places, a name copied from England - pronounced Dart-Muff ;)

• Like 1

Ive always said New-Fin-Land

Like many American places, a name copied from England - pronounced Dart-Muff ;)

But Dartmouth is a Canadian City, I was born there and lived there for many years. And being from there, we pronouce it Dart-myth.

Now lets goo douwn the road dere byes, and ave a few!

well damn! I guess I'll have to go yell at my Geography teachers from grade 2 thru 12. They all told me it's pronounced New Found Land ... sunnufagun!

People in Saskatchewan (where I am) pronounce it New-Found-Land. However newfies pronounce it New-Fund-L'nd. This is partially because its full of drunk irish/scottish inbreds (j/k). Seriously, its pronounced differently there because of their accents. You'll also notice everyone there pronounce their "r"'s really hard (k-air instead of car).

Anyone I've ever spoken to in Chicago says new-fund-l'nd, too.

lol...if you can get by the thick accent some Newfoundlanders have

by t'underin' jeezus bye :p

But Dartmouth is a Canadian City, I was born there and lived there for many years. And being from there, we pronouce it Dart-myth.

Yeah, that doesnt mean it isn't 'ripped-off' of somewhere in Europe though. The vast majority of places around here are named after places or people in/from the UK. Some from mainland Europe.

*I* say New-found-land/l'nd just because, but people out east do say Newf'nland and some of 'em will correct you if you say it any other way :p.

p.s. Cyrana does your sig say something to the effect of 'people will be people'?

Ive always said New-Fin-Land

aye

Being half Newfie, I tend to be one to laugh at others who pronounce it as New-found-land. I of course prounounce it New-fin-land as does my family and everyone I know from there. I call it Newfieland a lot too though just 'cause I'm lazy like that