batch mp3 to wma converter?

I want to convert all my mp3's to wma's to save room. is there a free program out there that will do it for me. and im looking for one that will let me convert a whole folder and possibly any subfolders below it so that i dont have to do it one at a time.

yah i dont think it does. ti converted all my things to wav. not a prob. tho cuse i only did like two songs just to test it out.

and all the others that ppl just suggested. i dont wanna try those becuse they both cost and are only trials. and they only convert like half the song.

k i'll give it a try.

o and btw, the episode in ur sig was alright, not too good tho :p

dude theres no way to convert all my files at once, just one at a time. is there a way to do it all at once?

I want to convert all my mp3's to wma's to save room.

YOU SHOULD NOT DO THAT!

:cry: :omg:

Transcoding lossy formats between themselves is bad bad bad. If you want to hear awful results, be my guest, but is the extra space really worth losing the audio quality?

Only time you should transcode is if you are doing lossless --> lossy.

YOU SHOULD NOT DO THAT!

:cry: :omg:

Transcoding lossy formats between themselves is bad bad bad. If you want to hear awful results, be my guest, but is the extra space really worth losing the audio quality?

it is when you only have a 20gig mp3 player.

dude theres no way to convert all my files at once, just one at a time. is there a way to do it all at once?

you talking to me? :/ if so, shift and arrow down, like in explorer. Don't click on the window again, just let it run.

also, you did it to WAV? you mental? :p

i might just opt for a different file type cuse the program that lunamonkey recommended is realy nice and simple. maybe ogg or acc

If your player plays them, Ogg Vorbis at least is clearly better than WMA at any bitrate (not sure about low bitrate AAC (not aacPlus)).

it is when you only have a 20gig mp3 player.

Then re-rip your music if a little extra space is worth it. The quality will be so much better then a transcode, it isn't even funny.

You aren't going to listen to your entire at once.

Repeat after me: DO NOT TRANSCODE. :|

Doing lossy --> lossy even once is like taking a JPEG of your favorite picture, and recompressing it a dozen times, making it look like a blurred, dull colors, pixelated mess.

Sure you saved space. But unless you have the absolute worst headphones money can buy, you will hear the difference and it will annoy the heck out of you.

Don't come complaining when you go to listen to your converted lossy music files with decent speakers/headphones and hear absolute crap instead.

All in the name of adding a few extra songs :(

• 2 weeks later...

Then re-rip your music if a little extra space is worth it. The quality will be so much better then a transcode, it isn't even funny.

You aren't going to listen to your entire at once.

Repeat after me: DO NOT TRANSCODE. :|

Doing lossy --> lossy even once is like taking a JPEG of your favorite picture, and recompressing it a dozen times, making it look like a blurred, dull colors, pixelated mess.

Sure you saved space. But unless you have the absolute worst headphones money can buy, you will hear the difference and it will annoy the heck out of you.

Don't come complaining when you go to listen to your converted lossy music files with decent speakers/headphones and hear absolute crap instead.

All in the name of adding a few extra songs :(

I've been thinking about creating a standard format for all my music. I was thinking of going with aac because it seems to make the smallest files with the highest quality (at least this is what I have noticed when ripping with Winamp 5.) I have never tried Ogg Vorbis so I don't know about that.

Now you have me scared because alot of my MP3's are arond 8mb-9mb a song, while some of my files (WMA are close to 30mb a song!) now I don't know if I should convert anything to anything. This sucks.

A lot of the music I can't rerip because I've lost the CD's or they have been scratched up. So what I have on my computer is all I have left.

I think I just did some sort of trascoding once and the quality loss wasnt THAT terrible

I mean, let's say I have one of those 192kbps mp3, record it onto a CD, it sounds cool, and then rip it to OGG.. Will it sound like utter crap?

Just wondering :p I use MP3 all-the-way, because it's more popular.. I'd prefer OGG, though, if my iPod played em.

If you already had a high quality lossy source (like 320kbps) and you transcode, you probably won't notice a huge difference...but it will be there. Depends on the bitrate you use I suppose.

192kbit is pushing it. I can easily pick out a transcoded song.

Now transcoding say a 128kbit MP3 to something is stupidity at its highest form. Like the idiots who think transcoding from 128kbit mp3's to 64kbit WMA's is saving space and keeping the quality.

The only time it is 100% safe to transcode is from a lossless copy (CD or a format like Apple Lossless, WMA Lossless, FLAC, etc.).

As for which format to use (based on compatibility above all else), I would use AAC at low bitrates and MP3's created via LAME for high bitrates. If you have a player which can play OGG, then it is a fine choice as well at low bitrates.

For a just released comparison of codecs at 128kbps, check out this:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=40607