Are all headphones bad for you?

Lots of articles are popping up lately about the in-ear headphones used with iPods and other MP3 players causing hearing loss in the masses. My comment to that was "Duh, they needed a study?" I am wondering though, what about headphones that don't drill into your ear canals? How bad would those be to hearing? Personally I use headphones for extended periods of time but not at pumping volume.

If you don't use a loud volume then they can't really be harmful. Of course if you turn them up all the way for extended periods of time you're risking damage to your ears.

I think ANY headphone can be bad for your hearing, you just need to keep the volume low. I did damage to my ears years ago. Not just from headphones but being in a loud club. I used to DJ and always cranked the monitors up in the DJ booth, UGH dumb thing to do... On top of that I cranked headphones up to. No matter what you use, loud will hurt. Keep volume low and you will be good.

WARNING! Listening to music by any means will damage your hearing if its extended exposure. of course earphones are bad for you, headphones are probably little better and as for in-ear phones there probably the worst - ur choice 2 listen 2 music.

As i understand its not necessarily the volume that is bad for you but wearing headphones also means that the number of bacterias are rapdily increasing (you just build them a warm, cosy home). Tha will result in infections...

So they are kinda bad. Don't know how much is too much though

The reson why they claim headphones are bad for mp3 players is because people increase the volume to kill background noice such as traffic driving by. You can get closed noice canceling head-phones or earphones, it will help.

NO headphone is bad.

Volume = bad. It's pretty simple.

Guns are not bad

Bullets in brain = bad.

That is funny :laugh:

Even if the volume is low, it's still bad for your ears because they shake your eardrums and will damage them overtime. That's why it's better to have stereo.

Clubs must be just as bad then? Go into any club and before you're ears have adjusted you have to shout extremely loud close to someones ear to get across a message.

That is funny :laugh:

Even if the volume is low, it's still bad for your ears because they shake your eardrums and will damage them overtime. That's why it's better to have stereo.

LOL! That made me laugh so hard!

You can only hear by making moving air shake your eardrums, no matter if that's coming from your stereo of headphones.

It actually is mostly about volume. Just keep it civilized and it's not bad.

My sister had to go to an ear doctor, because she's been complaining about her ears (after she's been playing her music with headphones so loud, that I can hear it from the door). Since she got a cupped headphone, she's been doing good (probably because they block the noise around her and she doesn't need to crank it up that loud).

I on the other hand, been using headphones for portable devices and computer use for years and the only time I had to go to an ear doctor was during my child hood because my hearing wasn't good (years before I heard of walkmans, let alone headphones). I just play it soft and if I want to hear bass, that's what the audio software/bass boost is for.

Actually, I think there was a factual error in the story. People aren't experiencing hearing loss from headphones, there are experiencing a loss of brain cells from listening to rap music! :laugh:

Actually, I think there was a factual error in the story. People aren't experiencing hearing loss from headphones, there are experiencing a loss of brain cells from listening to rap music! :laugh:

So. true....

If you have it at around 50 - 60% of the volume of your player, you can get around 30 mins without damaging your ears, if you use it significantly lower than 1/2, youre just fine.

rofl, my thoughts exactly.

But really, headphones are not dangerous unless you turn them way up to block out outside noise. A lot of people don't turn up their stereo to the same volume level because it's usually inside where there is no noise to interfere. Your ears get adjusted to higher volume levels as well, so you might be at a level where it could damage your ears, but you hardly notice. Point is, no sound, no matter where it comes from, is bad for you unless it's really loud.

Awesome! I love stereotypes! Let me play, let me play!

People aren't experiencing hearing loss from headphones, they're experiencing a loss of brain cells from listening to some moron in a rock band complain about losing his girlfriend.

HAHAHAHAHAOMGROFLOLZ!!!1

:sleep:

This is what gets me...I came to the same conclusion that actually it isn't earphones that are damaging, it's the volume at which people listen to their music. This left me looking at the article thinking "so basically you guys are telling me that loud noises are bad for my ears? So what's new?"

Why are we making a big deal out of something that we've known about for a long time? Has there been a recent rise in the number of people reporting to doctors with hearing problems?

Besides, my view on the entire thing is that although I only have one set of ears, there is no point in spending my life walking around with earmuffs on just so that I can die with perfect hearing. I enjoy my music, and although I don't listen to it on full volume, no one is going to stop me listening to my music 24/7, even if they suggest 1 hour per day.

NO headphone is bad.

Volume = bad. It's pretty simple.

Guns are not bad

Bullets in brain = bad.

:yes:

OMG that might be the funniest post in neowin history !! - I cant agree with you more - it stems from a lack of brain cells and a complete absence of taste. I didnt see the stereotype you mentioned I think someone else took it a step farther than you did - guess he listens to cRAP , I mean RAP

As for the topic:

What hurts ears more than actual volume is the high pitched sound - much more damaging than mid range and low level (bass) noise.

I tore my ear drums years ago from shooting large caliper guns without protection and afterwards many sounds would literally bring me to the floor in pain - the sound of running water was the worst - it took several months for my eardrums to heal - so now I always have earplugs in when shooting - but I have no roblems using my headphones to listen to music or when gaming...

:yes:

OMG that might be the funniest post in neowin history !! - I cant agree with you more - it stems from a lack of brain cells and a complete absence of taste. I didnt see the stereotype you mentioned I think someone else took it a step farther than you did - guess he listens to cRAP , I mean RAP

Please, tell me you're not serious... For the love of God, tell me you are not serious.