DnD Online

So who all preordered their copy of DDO? Short of the usual flaming that seems to accompany this game what are the pros and cons as you currently see it after playing the beta?

Pros:

+Combat system and tactics

+Heavily quest/instance based rewards (no xp for killing)

+Lack of travel time

+No crafting and no soloing past the first couple levels

+90 degree shift from current MMO's with regards to emphasis on adventure and quests as opposed to level and gear

Cons:

-Not enough world dialogue choices and meaningful backstory (especially for alignment RP - though I do understand alignment is less important in Eberron)

-Lack of variation in ways to beat dungeons (prefer difficulty didn't just apply to mobs)

-Lack of combat feedback as far as the ruleset goes

-Arbitrarily high monthly fee (WoW has way more server overhead for the same fee, makes content updates king where DDO will live or die longterm - Weekly unique GM lead events could be a great solution)

Edited by Dashel

Whats DnD ?

A game that Vin Diesel played alot.

Q: Is it true you're really into Dungeons and Dragons?

VIN: No. I never play D&D. For some reason, they thought that I played D&D for 20 years. They thought that I spent years playing Barbarians, Witchunters, The Arcanum. They thought I played D&D back in the '70s when it's just the basic D&D set. They thought I continued to play D&D when it became Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. They thought I played D&D when there were only three books - the "Player's Handbook," the "Monster's Manual" and the "Dungeon Master's Guide." They thought I played D&D as it continued onto the Unearthed Arcanum, Oriental Adventures, Sea Adventures, Wilderness Adventures. THEY thought I played D&D at the time when "Deities and Demigods" was the brand new book. THEY thought I played D&D when I used to get up to a place called The Complete Strategist* in New York.

[Mouths: "I'm into D&D a lot."]

http://www.ugo.com/channels/filmtv/feature...k/vindiesel.asp

I should qualify that by saying 'right now'. There were several closed and open betas before this hence this thread. I had hoped some other neowinians were in the beta and wanted to share their thoughts now that the NDA is lifted.

Pros:

+Combat system and tactics

+Heavily quest/instance based rewards (no xp for killing)

+Lack of travel time

+No crafting and no soloing past the first couple levels

+90 degree shift from current MMO's with regards to emphasis on adventure and quests as opposed to level and gear

I felt that this game was a step back for modern mmorpgs, forced grouping, no crafting, horrible boring mission grinding (doesn't matter that it's not killing the same mobs over and over, it's grinding), and you can't go 5 feet without loading another zone. There is also NO exploring, the game is linear as hell (worse then GW in this respect), and it's basically like playing a single player game on a LAN with a fancy chat room at the tavern.

A lot of people go on about the tactics used in fighting. I fail to see how perching and jousting are tactics, it's pretty much all I saw anyone doing in groups. Sure you could use a real group and do it properly but it's not worth it.

Keep in mind I only played for like 3 days during the stress test. I tried to give it a chance though, I was going to unistall it after the first day.

If you're really itching for a new mmorpg, wait for RFO. It's not all that great either (huge grind like every other asian mmorpg) but it's better then DDO.

I have to agree with the above the combat felt.. clunky and it just didn't grab you like say Everquest 2 when you first enter a large city or World Of Warcraft when you first enter the cities.

Care to elaborate on what you found to be 'clunky' about it? (I do acknowledge that the default key bindings are a little off IMO)

As far as it being a supposed step back, that is what I like most about this game. It isn't another rehashed EQ (WoW like DAoC before it have carried that torch better than anyone). You do rotate around the main difference though...think of DDO as an online board game that you can play with your firends instead of a persistant world you 'live' in. Supposed 'powergamers' need not apply.

Honestly, the game grabbed me visually the second I stepped off the boat or saw the floating Inn (I love the magic as a substitute for industrial technology idea).