Nero Burning Rom Alternatives

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with this thread is that its so indecisive.

I just want somthing free, simple, basic interface using the standard Windows UI. But which features good core features, im talking about data discs, music discs, copying, and image burning, all CD and DVD alike.

The point where it goes over the top is in programs like nero where they seem to be aiming to create a whole operating system by the times of nero34. Music players, sound players, search? Forget that.

Theres just so many options here its too confusing. Some people report bugs or flaws in products like ashampoo, but wait that program isnt even free.

i know its not free but is alcohol 120 any good compared to nero?

I think Alcohol 120% is just copying and emulation software, isn't it? I don't think you can actually create your own CDs with it (without the help of other software), so...

Depends. If you want to copy games, I guess so, yes. If you want to create your own discs, I don't think so. :huh:

i know its not free but is alcohol 120 any good compared to nero?

I think Alcohol 120% is just copying and emulation software, isn't it? I don't think you can actually create your own CDs with it (without the help of other software), so...

Depends. If you want to copy games, I guess so, yes. If you want to create your own discs, I don't think so. :huh:

:yes: Alcohol 120% doesn't create data CD/DVD.

I tried Sateira, it was perfect, the interface, the features, everything was how I like...until I actually burned the disc and the burning process failed horribly (it wasn't the disc or the writer's fault) and added coasters to my collection, with no reason given by the program.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't see it mentioned, so I'll go ahead. Yes, this is the Nero alternative thread, but also make note of Nero Lite, which is just a customized installer to remove unneeded files. It still requires registration from Nero for full use, so this is not a pirated file.

The link is here

I just downloaded the Micro edition (Only Nero Burning Rom with basic Audio/VideoCD support) provided from the link, and I'm trying it out. Here is a mirror as the provided link was a little slow, and I don't want to kill some guy's bandwidth. http://rapidshare.de/files/31865752/Nero-7.2.3.2b_micro.zip

BTW, I tried Ashampoo, and it was okay. While it served my needs, I didn't feel I had the flexibility I do with Nero in terms of more advanced options for certain things.

BTW, I tried Ashampoo, and it was okay. While it served my needs, I didn't feel I had the flexibility I do with Nero in terms of more advanced options for certain things.

If you want flexibility and lot of advanced options without using NERO 7 you should try Prassi Ones. :)

• 2 weeks later...

If you want flexibility and lot of advanced options without using NERO 7 you should try Prassi Ones. :)

I use Ones and ImageBurn. I wish the makers of Ones would add support for bootable discs and ISO compilation creation. Nero, IMO, used to be good then it turned in to the all in one like the Roxio suite did and ultimately to junk.

http://www.tx-software.com/

I didn't see it mentioned, so I'll go ahead. Yes, this is the Nero alternative thread, but also make note of Nero Lite, which is just a customized installer to remove unneeded files. It still requires registration from Nero for full use, so this is not a pirated file.

The link is here

I just downloaded the Micro edition (Only Nero Burning Rom with basic Audio/VideoCD support) provided from the link, and I'm trying it out. Here is a mirror as the provided link was a little slow, and I don't want to kill some guy's bandwidth. http://rapidshare.de/files/31865752/Nero-7.2.3.2b_micro.zip

[...]

Woaw, Nero Lite seems to be great!

Some people try it?

One more vote for Ashampoo! :yes:

- don't feel bloated

- very clean and intuitive interface

- the name makes me feel hygienic

And yet another vote. I don't know where I originally saw a link for Ashampoo but I tried it and love it. I haven't used anything else since then. It has a GUI very similar to Nero but yet it is a smaller download and seems to take up less system resources.

Here is another alternative:

thumb_main.png
  • Create custom data, audio and mixed-mode projects and record them to physical discs as well as disc images.
  • Blank (erase) rewritable discs using four different methods.
  • Record disc images.
  • Fixate discs (write lead-out information to prevent further data from beeing added to the disc).
  • Scan the SCSI/IDE bus for devices and collect information about their capabilities.
  • Create disc copies, on the fly and using a temporary disc image.
  • Import session data from multi-session discs and add more sessions to them.
  • Display disc information.
  • Save audio and data tracks to files (.wav and .iso).
thumb_main.png

The above (Infra Recorder) works perfectly with Vista RC2. Nice software!

The above (Infra Recorder) works perfectly with Vista RC2. Nice software!

Thanks for suggestion Toology, i think to add Infra Recorder and RocketDivision Grab&Burn too:

Grab&Burn is CD/DVD recording and mastering application

Grab&Burn is a powerful tool for grabbing, burning and mastering of CD and DVD discs. Grab&Burn supports all types of optical storage medias (including CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW and DVD-RAM) as well as a wide variety of burning hardware. With Grab&Burn you may perform ordinal grabbing, copying and burning operations as well as expert DVD Authoring and Mastering. These advanced features enable you to create valid DVD-video discs from custom video files, for example, copied from other DVDs. Moreover, with DVD Splitting Wizard you may split DVD-video discs into smaller parts and burn them to DVD writable discs or emulate with StarPort DVD Emulator and watch DVD-Video movies directly on your PC. This enables you to create copies of 9.4 GB DVDs in several clicks. At the same time, Grab&Burn is easy to learn and to use. In addition to expert DVD authoring and DVD mastering features Grab&Burn offers a number of step-by-step wizards that introduce its functionality to the novice users. For novice users Grab&Burn offers the Quick Start Wizard that provides them with the most frequently used operations, such as disc copying, grabbing and splitting DVDs.

Grab&Burn Key features:

All MMC compatible CD/DVD recorders (CD-R/W, DVD-R/W, DVD+R/W and DVD-RAM) are supported

UDF file system mastering (UDF 1.02, 1.50 and 2.01)

ISO9660 file system mastering (including Joliet UNICODE extensions)

Session import (appending already created CDs/DVDs)

Bridge file system (ISO9660/UDF for DVD-Video creation) mastering

DVD-Video main sequence (movie itself) extraction

Audio content processing

Track-At-Once and Disc-At-Once (RAW) recording modes

DVD-Video authoring code (make own movie from the set of the VOB files)

Track-At-Once and Disc-At-Once (RAW) recording modes

El Torito (bootable CD/DVD)

DVD9 → 2 DVD-R(+R) convertion

Grab&Burn is free for personal use.

Grab&Burn 5.0.2 screenshot:

grabburnps2.png

• 2 weeks later...

I tried Ashampoo , its pretty good, easy to use.

i loved it too until one day it stopped working. (with the latest version). I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and everything (even deleted the program files folder to be safe) but whenever i'd hit burn dvd after putting my files onto the window it'd just disappear. (the process was gone from task manager and taskbar and everything) so i moved to Nero 7 Lite.