Is Orange Juice Bad For You?

orange juice is good for you... well unless you drink it then clean your teeth due to the acid in the juice weakening the enamel that protect your teeth then using a brush to scratch it off.

Well get yourself 15 fresh oranges and squeze yourself a glass full.

That should be enough.

If you drink too much your will overdose on vitamin c and all that citric acid will not be good for you.

A glass of orange juice a day? Yeah, you're going to be fine. I usually drink a few a day and I ain't dead yet. The only concern would be sugar, but with one glass a day you're fine.

No, why would it be? A glass full of orange juice isn't usually 100% of the RDA of vitaminc c, so it's not detrimental to your health, unless you're allergic to vitamin c. Even if you drank two or three glasses, any excess which your body doesn't need would be excreted as urine anyway.

Just wanted to know if it's bad for you

Say if you drink a glass full a day that's ok?

Where did you get the idea that it's bad for you? Orange juice helps boost your immune system since it contains vitamin C, and in some cases it's also fortified with calcium. Unless you're allergic to citrus, I don't think there's any way orange juice would do you any harm.

Well get yourself 15 fresh oranges and squeze yourself a glass full.

That should be enough.

If you drink too much your will overdose on vitamin c and all that citric acid will not be good for you.

you cant overdose vitamin c, well you can, but what you call overdose is what like all animals produse daily

humans lost that capacity cause of a gen

search google for vitamine c gen

I would reccomend that after drinking orange juice, drink a small amount of water to clean your teeth of sugar and acids.

It's normally hard to overdose on vitamin C from orange juice, as you would need quite a few cups, and excess vitamin C is normally excreted from the body.

Oh yeah try mixing orange juice with a mixture of milk and biocarbonate of soda. See what happens. :whistle:

Yes, orange juice is an excellent source of vitamin C as well as pulp and fiber. You can NOT overdose on it as Vitamin C is water soluble and flushes through the body when you urinate.. You can not build up toxic levels (unlike vitamins A,D,E, and K that are fat soluble and the excess can be stored in your fat cells).

Some people just post even when they do not know what they are talking about!

Barney (Registered Nurse)

Nothing like freshly squeezed oranges on a bright sunny day. :)

You know, Freshly Squeezed is much better than the local ones. They add tons of sugar and they just cover it all up by saying it is 'straight from the grove'

Yes, orange juice is an excellent source of vitamin C as well as pulp and fiber. You can NOT overdose on it as Vitamin C is water soluble and flushes through the body when you urinate.. You can not build up toxic levels (unlike vitamins A,D,E, and K that are fat soluble and the excess can be stored in your fat cells).

Some people just post even when they do not know what they are talking about!

Barney (Registered Nurse)

You need retraining.

It was once believed to cause kidney stones, but experts now say there is no solid evidence of dangerous side effects from vitamin C. High doses can produce stomach aches and diarrhea.

A glass full a day is fine, but you have to be careful if you drink lots as there is a lot of natural sugars in orange juice. Consider that each glass may have 3 or 4 oranges in it.

You need retraining.

It was once believed to cause kidney stones, but experts now say there is no solid evidence of dangerous side effects from vitamin C. High doses can produce stomach aches and diarrhea.

Sorry, you are wrong... I know of what I speak. Stomach aches and diarrhea are NOT considered toxic reactions. You can get that from drinking too much water. Please stop posting flamebait....

Edited by barneyt

It's not bad for you, but, depending on where you live, it's not particularly ethical to do so.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1682829,00.html

First, it is the product of a highly industrialised farming and manufacturing process. Orange plantations are very thirsty, needing 6,000-9,000 cubic metres of water per hectare per year even when modern drip-feed irrigation is used. A German study in 1991 estimated that for every glass of Brazilian orange juice drunk, 22 glasses of processing water and 1,000 glasses of irrigation water were required. Likewise, given the energy-intensive juicing process, one glass of crude oil was said to be required to produce 10 glasses of juice. And if the juice is pasteurised, concentrated, frozen, shipped, then rehydrated at the destination country (the type of juice traded on the commodities market and accounting for three-quarters of all juice sold), much more energy and water is required.

If you live somewhere that oranges aren't grown, it's much more sensible to drink the juice of a fruit the is grown locally; not only is it better for the environment, but it helps your country's economy too. Fortunately I enjoy apple juice just as much as orange juice, so I tend to drink it instead of OJ.

Sorry, you are wrong... I know of what I speak. Stomach aches and diarrhea are NOT considered toxic reactions. You can get that from drinking too much water. Please stop posting flamebait....

These are medical facts, go read a medical periodical and you will see it's fact.

I won't stop posting; Don't write that I am flamebait.

Go fill your stomach with 1 litre of citric acid and tell me you feel comfortable.

There are some ppl who are allergic/sensitive to acid content in some foods, and if they consume too much they can cause variations of gastric distress, rashes, pimples, itching, hives and perhaps herpes simplex outbreak (coldsore) as body reacts to the "overload" as well as other foods like tomatoes. As far as I know they probably fit the profile of many who have somewhat compromised immune systems that also exhibit things like eczema. And I do think these pppl are usually aware of the issue and these food sensitivities are not that uncommon. Low acid OJ is available btw.

Being uncomfortable and these things are NOT toxic reactions. Hair falling out. visual changes, anti-coagulation results are all toxic issues. These are not properties of toxic reactions to Vitamin C.

Barney